Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hendrix: The Soundtrack

I was watching the Walk The Line DVD last night and it was pretty good. Got a bit of GAS for a telecaster but that's way in the future.

What I wanted to ask was this... the songs are sung by the actors themselves and there's no Johnny Cash on it until a tiny bit over the titles. I spent the first half hour trying to spot the differences in the voices and in the end I sorta gave up and just enjoyed the movie.

And I thought about the upcoming Hendrix movie. There was a competing project where Andre 3000 (or whatever his name is) was going to play Hendrix but they canned the project after the Hendrix family refused to release the original recordings. Andre was quoted as saying that you HAVE to have the original recordings if you want a Hendrix movie.

And my question is this: if it was a good movie, would you guys care very much if someone else played the music, as long as it was done well? Would you still go see the movie?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I think i'd like to see somebody totally take on the role of Hendrix, so doing the music would be a part of that I guess. It would be an extremely hard role to get right as an actor. So I think it would be intersting just to see if they could pull it off.

Well, it's not as if there aren't any guitarists around who can play like Jimmi - there's certainly a few making good money for it.

I applaud both J***** Phoenix and Jamie Foxx for what they did. It probably wasn't an easy decision.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Philemec:

I've seen a movie about Hendrix on video - not only did the guy who played Hendrix not play, but all the dubbed music wasn't by Hendrix either. It was rubbish.

Yeah, but like I said... if it was a good film, would you care if the music wasn't actually played by Hendrix?

What movie was it, BTW?

I would care.

It seems rididculous not to have the real guitar playing in there, and Jimi had such a distinctive personality to his vocals, I have to wonder how likely it'd be for anyone to imitate those well enough.

Actually I just cringe at the thought of this movie, as it seems almost impossible to do right, so I'll probably avoid it like the plague, whether it has the real music or not.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

Actually I just cringe at the thought of this movie, as it seems almost impossible to do right, so I'll probably avoid it like the plague, whether it has the real music or not.

Never in my life did I ever think anyone could pull off doing Lord of the Rings but it happened.

If Hollyweird can get someone who really cares about Hendrix and making the movie good... it'll be good.

If not.. well, it'll be crap.

Originally posted by Philemec:

I've seen a movie about Hendrix on video - not only did the guy who played Hendrix not play, but all the dubbed music wasn't by Hendrix either. It was rubbish.

I saw that DVD in a discount bin for $5.00. It looked terrible. The guy didn't really look like hendrix.

I don't recall what it was called...I think it may have been called "Hendrix"?

Its a tall order to fill for a any casting director... Wanted: Actor who can look, sing, play guitar like Jimi Hendrix.

What's better or worse.... A movie where the actor is lip-synching and playing air-guitar to an original recording or doing the same to his own recording? I don't know.

I did enjoy Walk the Line and was impressed by both lead actors who actually sang.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Archived