Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rubbing Alchohol

Rampdog

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The alcohol might remove any coatings from the strings as well as oils. That might actually make them rust quicker. Of course, it should also remove the acids put there by your fingers so it might just even out.

I wipe my strings down with Fingerease. And my strings never rust or feel all loaded up with crud.

Born on the Bayou

I would be careful about that. You don't want to be getting alcohol on your fingerboard on a regular basis.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I have a rosewood fingerboard on my strat but when I wipe the strings I try not to get it on the board. Will that hurt it? I figured the oil from my hand would keep it from drying out. Please correct me someone if I'm wrong...

Thanks

Just buy 2 sets of strings.

Then when one gets worn, you will be able to replace them.

Really you can't fix strings. They get old. For electric I can cash a set in 5 hours of play time..

Thats why I started to wear gloves when I play. No more unneccesary finger oils to toil your plan.. You are RUNNIN the show. My nickname is 'Glover' just for the record.

Originally posted by Rampdog:

Ok guys...I'll try the fingerease or ax-wax and the old Rampdog will throw away the flea dip that I've been using. Thanks all for the heads up.

Billy

Ramp, Dunlop also makes an excellent string cleaner as well. It's called Ultraglide 65. I change my strings often, but in between I might clean em a time or two.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Personally, I've never liked any approaches to cleaning/conditioning steel strings, DIY or commercially produced-

- EXCEPT-

- wiping them off, over 'n' under, with a clean, dry, lint-free all-cotton cloth. Do this every time you stop playing and you'll get more usable life outta tham thayah bobb-wiyahs.

Nothing like properly installing a new set of strings, double checking and tweaking your set-up, and breakin' 'em in; far better than spending time and money trying to revive 'em.

(I should talk; I've got some incredibly old, dinged-up, cruddy strings on my axe; I just layed a new set of strings out the other day to remind me to change 'em soon, it's high-time I did!)

Between restringings, it's not a bad idea to use a light amount of oil on the fretboard, of a kind that's free of silicon, wax, and petroleum-distillates. Old English lemon-oil, linseed-oil, Gibson and other brand-name 'board-oils, woodwind bore-oils, etc. all will do the job quite well. "Wax-on, wax-off"!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Between restringings, it's not a bad idea to use a light amount of oil on the fretboard, of a kind that's free of silicon, wax, and petroleum-distillates. Old English lemon-oil, linseed-oil, Gibson and other brand-name 'board-oils, woodwind bore-oils, etc. all will do the job quite well. "Wax-on, wax-off"!

My personal favorite's olive oil.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Let's not get started on what to use on your fretboard again. Do a search. There's as many solutions (no pun intended) as there are players, and they all contradict each other. Email or call the maker of your guitar and ask them what they recommend/use.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

My personal favorite's olive oil.

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Extra Virgin or........

Originally posted by Rampdog:

Sooooo...Is Crisco out of the question?

Personally, I don't know what any of you see in Olive Oil...

"Ohmihgarsh!! I've had all I can stands, and I can't stands no-more!!

_____________ http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bard/bardware/popeye/popeye_half.gif

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

Damp cloth works for me after a gig.

I remember long ago some guys were into boiling their strings. Claimed they got another month of life out them.

Scott Fraser

Yes Scott i have a friend who plays bass (plays well too)who is a believer in boiling strings to give them a longer life, bad form just clean them down and change them when they are done, dont boil them unless you are truly skint !!!!

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

I'd think that any extra usable-life that boiling 'em gains would be negated by the bending/unbending of the strings when removing and replacing 'em; y'know, the way they get bent, twisted, and kinked around the tuners, the nut-slots, the bridge and tail? Not to mention the fact that strings get little dings and dents in 'em from the frets, and NO amount of boiling, oiling, wiping, or pickling will fix that.

Wipe 'em off, pluck 'n' pop 'em so they slap back against the frets to dislodge some crud, lint, whatever, and change 'em now and then. I'm thinkin' about doin' it myself! :D

Archived