Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 Drink Minimum

Pappy P

Elwood just gave me another Idea in another thread.

Elwood, Do you have a max. no. of drinks rule for the players during your gigs?

How many times have you had to boot someone off stage for being too tipsy?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/pappadopalus/LeeonBreak.jpg

I hope this photo was taken after the gig! :eek:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

A good rule of thumb is "No adult beverages before the last set!".

That's a good rule of thumb, that is.

Last band I was in, I completely wrecked our first gig by being totally blotto.

What happened was that I was left in charge of looking after the gear at the bar while everyone else went off down the road to score some dinner. And well, what else can you do to pass the time in a bar but drink? :P:rolleyes:

The worst thing was that I'd gotten the lady wife to learn and play drums and she'd invited all her friends and so on. So it was a pretty bad gaffe on my part.

Oh, well... you can't be a muso if you don't have some grisly "first gig" stories. Now she's got hers. :D

Fortunately, we played the same bar (to a much smaller crowd) a month later and blew everyone away.

Originally posted by Pappy P:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/pappadopalus/LeeonBreak.jpg

I hope this photo was taken after the gig! :eek:

So, when was this photo taken, Pap'?

_____________ http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/pappadopalus/DVD_APES0.jpg:P:D;):thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The band I was in used to hold up our glasses and say "Here's to you...YO!". We were a drinking band. It helped sell beers. We broke the beer sale records in every place we played.

Only rule was. Don't get so drunk you can't play properly. All of our guys were smart enough to not get plastered or they would have been fired.

In all seriousness (all of it, dammitt!), when I play, I'm unlikely to drink anything alcoholic at all, or be under the unfluence of anything. At the most, a couple of beers stretched over a looong piece of the evening, and I mean really nursed- I tend t be a slow-sipping imbiber of stouts, brown ales, porters, bocks, ambers, an occasional IPA, drawn by the pint...

As far as others go, if it's not a problem, it's not a problem. But I can't stand it when someone gets stupid sloppy drunk and thinks they can play.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Trying to get the musicians I've ever know to go easy on the partyables, is like sitting down a starving man in front of a buffet, and telling him he can't eat anything... :rolleyes:

The Detroitish rock scene is a a real proud bunch, and aren't going to be told anything like that. If anything, you'd be single out in the band as a fun governor, and probably wouldn't have a band for long! :D

MySpace

one or two beers before, just to "get loose" - water on stage - a beer during break - water on stage - a beer or two after the last set

not just because of the playing, but even more so because of the drving home afterwards

mind you, it used to be different when I was younger and I HAVE been known to drink just a bit more when we used to play a bar within walking distance from home (left my gear there until the next day) but even then, the majority of drinks were AFTER the gig

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

I used to have a few before gigs (not just beer either), I had terrible nerves and anything that seemed to calm them I did. After the first gig of my last band the bassist had mild alcohol poisoning and I had a bout of gastritis (it didn't help that it was Xmas time and a lot of old friends were back home to party). I don't drink anymore (or any of my other olde habits) so I have to live without the dutch courage.
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

I've mostly played in churches, so alcohol was not served, and you can't buy alcohol in NYC on Sunday mornings even if you want to!

I sometimes went to practices having had a beer with my dinner, but that certainly wasn't enough to put me out of commission. No one ever said anything, so apparently it wasn't a problem to them.

If I was playing in a bar band, we'd have to limit ourselves though. No one I know can play well when they're drunk! I've heard of people who could - one classical flautist reportedly couldn't even stagger up to his place on stage without help, but would play superbly!

People like that are rare, though.

I read where certain San Francisco bands back in the '60s used to try to play while tripping on acid .... not recommended! At least they weren't flying airplanes - no pun intended....

I drink about a pint of water during the first break. Then another pint during the second, usually (or it used to be my usual).

I don't drink "adult" beverages. I quit that in 1978. Since I got diagnosed with diabetes in 1980 I don't drink much of anything except water. I do have a little unsweetened tea now and then if my blood sugar is a tad high (120 to 140).

I believe there might have a beer or two consumed by band members during our last (and only, so far) gig during the breaks. But it was in a high school auditorium and they wouldn't "officially" allow adult beverages. There was a bit brought by attendees, though, I'm sure.

In the band I was in back in my youth, our bass player got drunk as hell a few times and once even fell off the stage. We threatened to throw him out of the band if he didn't stop showing up to gigs totally pissed.

Janice, the other guitarist at the time, showed up one night fairly tipsy. She had been just fine at the sound check. Her boyfriend had just dumped her about an hour before the show because she wouldn't ditch the gig when he wanted her to (selfish bastard). She played okay but her perfomance definitely suffered from being drunk. I think she'd had about half a dozen whiskey sours.

Other than that, we never had a problem with it although Diane (the guitarist that Janice replaced several years later) did show up once with a pretty bad hangover. But that was understandable. Her hen party had been the night before and this was a Saturday afternoon outdoor gig before a football game (she got married the next day). Frankly, I was surprised she showed up at all.

Born on the Bayou

I find that there are no rules. It is hard to say what the right way to do things is.

I know guys that play incredible with 12 beers in them. I know guys that can't play with 2 in them. I know guys who can do heroin before a gig and not screw up once (except when they are stealing your car). Actually a smackhead will probably screw up less than a drunk or a pothead. Don't ask me why..

It is a tough call, to each his own.

When we used to play parties we would play our sets and have a few beers, but we got into the habit of putting all the gear away after our rehearsed sets were over. Too many times we'd end up getting drunk and sound very awful late into the night. Plus, as you guys know, every drunk guy at the party wants to play your guitar or try a song. We got to the point even where one guy would take the fuses out of the amps and stash them where nobody else could find them just to prevent idiocy.

Originally posted by Warthog:

We got to the point even where one guy would take the fuses out of the amps and stash them where nobody else could find them just to prevent idiocy.

Funny you should mention that. Our drummer's brother, Whit, did that to our amps when he was putting them in the van after a gig one night. He _said_ he did it as a joke.

If he had done that on Saturday night, it wouldn't have been a problem. We would have figured it out at rehearsal on Monday. But he did it on a Friday night.

The next night it took us a while to realize that none of the amps had a fuse in them. I kept a spare fuse taped to the back of my amp (hey, I was a Boy Scout) so I had power for it. But nobody else had spare fuses. It took us about 2 hours to get more fuses. Needless to say, Whit was in deep kimchee when we figured out what he had done.

We were so late with the sound check that we didn't have time to go change before the show. I think it was the only show I've ever done wearing ripped Levis, a house t-shirt and ratty sneakers (with no socks). I had to put a bar towel over my big (Mopar, I think) belt buckle, too, to keep from scratching up my guitars.

I think Janice did the show without a bra, too. I'm pretty sure she always wore one on stage. It was rather obvious when she moved and she wasn't wearing one (like bunnies wrestling under there). She often showed up for sound checks in rather "casual" (read skimpy) attire in the summer. (Some of her tops in the summer gave me heart palpitations.) I don't think she moved around much that night. :eek:

Born on the Bayou

Archived