Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shawn Lane - Forget About It !!

Tone Taster

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawn Lane. I remember hearing a recording of him and thinking "OK, now someone's gone and become the fastest shred chops monger of all time".

I watched this video and I think I may have actually been right.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

He is fast, but I still think Gambale or Holdsworth took it to another level that he didnt. He is more fast the way say, Yngwie is fast. I mean at least from hearing him on the shredder video and this.

The question is (particularly for Yngwie fans) does he depend on scalloped frets?

Originally posted by Griffinator:

The question is (particularly for Yngwie fans) does he depend on scalloped frets?

Scalloped fretboards do not help in playing faster though they help for string bending and vibrato (I've been playing a scalloped neck electric for several years).

However, scalloped fretboards force the player in getting a lighter touch with the fretting hand and that, in turn, can favor developing a greater speed as unnecessary tension is removed from the equation. Developing a lighter touch is valuable to any non-scalloped fretboard as well.

I don't believe Shawn Lane used a scalloped fretboard.

Scalloped necks in my experience kill the tone of the guitar. They are great for sweep picking arppegios because you can really grip the string and get more articulation.

It is also great for vibrato as was already mentioned.

Personally, if I cared that much about sweeping super fast arppegios, I would just get bass guitar frets put on my guitar pivoted at the top.

Archived