Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Input Needed!: Pickups

Jedro

I need some suggestions for new pickups. My guitar is an '84 Zion strat, alder body, rosewood fretboard and a Floyd Rose. Right now I've got Fender Lace Sensors - a blue humbucker and two gold single coils. It's just time for a change.

I'd like to go a more traditional route, maybe something along the lines of a PAF but with more gain for the bridge. Some may suggest the Duncan JB, but I've heard terrible things about JBs with alder bodies.

As for the middle and neck positions, I'm not picky. Whatever compliments the bridge pickup the best.

Suggestions?

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read nothing but incredible things about this guys pickups. If I ever replace them in my Godin, this will be what I get. Note: This is not Bill Lawrence USA. They make both single coil and humbuckers and I get the impression they have certain specs you can choose from for each pickup which affects the tone.

http://www.billlawrence.com/

quote from their site: "Last year, at the 2004 January Namm Show, Bill's latest creation, named by Fender the "SCN" pickups, was introduced on their expensive, USA made American Deluxe Guitars and the 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strats. Since then, with the power of Fender's marketing, the world has gotten a great big taste of what is means to play a "Bill Lawrence Pickup." Bill's loyal fan base always knew what it meant. Their word of mouth advertising for his pickups has slowly, steadily and strongly spread the word about Bill, his knowledge and his work via the Internet for the past nine years. Today, with the introduction of the SCN's and their tremendous success, there is a growing curiosity about Bill and an ever larger demand for Bill's pickups. There are some folks who can now proudly say, "See, I told you so!""

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I've replaced a few pups with Bareknuckle Pickups which go from Vintage to downright brutal. I believe you can get them in the US without any probs.

They are very good.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Are PAFs traditional on a Strat?

If you want noiseless traditional Strat tone (with options for more gain) check out Kinman.

www.kinman.com

Well, no... but neither is a floyd rose. What I meant was a more traditional tone as opposed to the Laces, which sound good, but I feel like they hide some of the guitar's natural tone, kind of the way EMGs do.

Thanks for the input, I'll look into the Kinmans, Lawrence and Bareknuckle pickups.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Originally posted by Jedro:

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Are PAFs traditional on a Strat?

If you want noiseless traditional Strat tone (with options for more gain) check out Kinman.

www.kinman.com

Well, no... but neither is a floyd rose. What I meant was a more traditional tone as opposed to the Laces, which sound good, but I feel like they hide some of the guitar's natural tone, kind of the way EMGs do.

Thanks for the input, I'll look into the Kinmans, Lawrence and Bareknuckle pickups.

That Kinman website is worth checking out. He toots his own horn a bit, but there's a lot of good info on guitars as a whole. And he seems to be onto something with his pickup design as well. Se if you can find the bit about where Dimarzio sued him, which led him to design his patented pickups.

BTW, I'm an EMG man. :D I like the fast, and tight transients that only they give. Everything else feels flabby, and sounds cloudy to me. But I haven't gone crazy and tried every pickup design under the sun. I just stick with what I know.

MySpace

Archived