Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson GA-30RVS 212 Goldtone

AeroG33k

So I've been looking for a tube amp as I indicated in a previous topic, I was mostly considering the VOX AC15 reissue or Carvin Bel Air...but then I played through a used Gibson GA-30RVS for $850 at a local store. I was BLOWN AWAY by the clean sound, so I was wondering if it's a good buy...it's about 150 bucks more expensive than my inital spending limit though. It also seems too loud, I know i have to use my guitar volume, but I'll mostly be playing at practice volumes. Because of this, it was also impossible to overdrive and the tube's sound is too sweet to color with a cheap OD pedal. However, I heard of someone getting great results with a volume pedal through the FX loop...how would this work? would I crank the amp and tone it down with the pedal or turn the amp low and crank it with the pedal? Also, it has two inputs, "HI" and "LO/LINK" I only plugged into the HI channel, so I dont know what each of them do. What do you guys think? Good buy? Will I be able to tone it down to practice volumes while getting a crunch? Is the price right?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like a very nice amp and has received great reviews. From my 5-minute Google research, $850 seems very high for a used one. I saw a brand new unit for $850 and there are 3 on eBay for anywhere from $300 to $700 including BINs. If it's in near perfect shape, I'd offer up to $750 since you wouldn't have to pay shipping. On a side note, if you get the opportunity to play through some old Gibson amps, they are generally very good. I particularly like the GA77RVT and GA79 RVT.

I got it :cool::D

It took some dealing, trading, convincing on both sides to work out a deal, but WOW. I'm impressed! It is incredibly responsive and dynamic, the sound is rich and smooth, definitely turned some heads at the store. It was one of the earlier brown tolex british made versions, but in excellent condition. While you really can't get a crunch out of it, it has amazing head room and the best clean sound. I also tried the BOSS SD-1 with it, and as opposed to my ealier solid state amp, it retains the dynamics and rich sound...it sounds like an entirely different pedal through this! I played some Fenders (Deluxe and DeVille) this morning just to be sure and I was unimpressed...they seemed a bit harsh sounding, I prefer a deeper, fuller tone as opposed to bright chime. Well, I couldn't be happier, and now I'm once again motivated to sit down and learn and improve to justify the purchase! :thu:

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

I'm looking at these at the moment. Might be a good fit (and relatively inexpensive) for this amp too. They say that it can be used on any amp with an effects loop, might be worth a try. If I get one soon, I will let you know how it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUME-MIZER-FOR-PEAVEY-CLASSIC-30-50-212-5150_W0QQitemZ7415789333QQcategoryZ41422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQ

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUMEBOX-FOR-PEAVEY-DELTA-BLUES-CLASSIC-30-50-212-5150_W0QQitemZ7416580739QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I missed this the first time around.

When I worked at Gibson Customer Support I ate lunch, then spent the rest of my time off in the small auditorium playing a Little Lucille through a GA-15RV. Great amp I couldn't afford. Wasn't around long enough to get it at a discount. I can only imagine the GA-30RV was more of the same. ;) Enjoy it. Is it the older, tan naugahyde or the black? i was fond of the tan.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Greg B.:

I'm looking at these at the moment. Might be a good fit (and relatively inexpensive) for this amp too. They say that it can be used on any amp with an effects loop, might be worth a try. If I get one soon, I will let you know how it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUME-MIZER-FOR-PEAVEY-CLASSIC-30-50-212-5150_W0QQitemZ7415789333QQcategoryZ41422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQ

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUMEBOX-FOR-PEAVEY-DELTA-BLUES-CLASSIC-30-50-212-5150_W0QQitemZ7416580739QQcategoryZ38076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Read this first!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/19/t/016480.html

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Fantasticsound, I have the early light brown tolex (british made) version. I played it today for the first time with my own guitar. Excellent clean sound...a bit midrangy though and you couldn't really adjust that with the single tone control. You get a slightly warmer, more overdriven sound if you crank the amp and turn down the guitar volume, but no crunch. But the way it sounds clean more than makes up for it. Very responsive, lots of sustain and harmonic overtones. Projects almost TOO much for apartment use haha. Once I figure out a way too dial some of the midrange out and get a better way to add overdrive to it (my SD-1 has a slight noise problem and the bipass is fuzzy), I'll be in heaven.

-Andy

Those were my fav's. In fact, one of the GA-15RV's from the auditorium, possibly the one I played through, went on tour to the Middle East with a band I mixed for, 6 months after 9/11. It travelled well, and believe me I was worried since we had 13 commercial and 7 military flights. The military flights were on C130's, a dual prop that landed/was shot off an aircraft carrier and a helicopter. It was rugged! We didn't even remove the tubes for travel.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived