Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SD Alnico II Pro

Penguin

alright so i just picked up some new pickups,(sd alnico ll pro) though looking for a hard rock sound/classic rock/ nice clean/ sound for my epiphone les paul standard. (not sure what kind of pickups it came from) so should i pay the money to change them? or should i sell these ones, (which i got a good deal on so could probably pick up a few more bucks) or change them? can anyone else recommend better pickups? do anyone use the alnico ii pros? or know what kind of pickups are in my lespaul right now?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alnico pros should sound great in any les paul. Those sound alot like my Pearly Gates (which rule for classic and southern rock and even hard rock) and I know Slash used alnico pros for most of his early albums. They'll do fine. Slap 'em in there!

btw, if your les paul has shiny metal plate pickups, they won't be alnicos. those would be the standard paf's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/sixtoedkitty/Miaroxsig.gif

I've got my ship, and all her flags are flying. She's all the I've got left, and MUSIC is her name!!

Originally posted by ellwood:

I'm pretty sure your particular LesPaul has SD Alnico II Pro in it.

What'd I miss? I don't know why anybody'd expect a stock Epiphone Les Paul Standard to come eqipped with Symour Duncan pickups of any kind, unless it was specified to have "Duncan Design" Korean-made pickups as standard equipment. Certainly not the more up-scale SD Alnico II Pros.

I think that you should install 'em, or have someone experienced install 'em, Penguin. I think they'll be a notable improvement over the stock pickups. Put 'em in, and tell us what you think after you try 'em out...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

i am a hardrock player, but also a classic rock/clean sound. will the emgs give me better pinch harmonics and better for tapping? which will have the better tone? im looking to either sell these for emgs, or keep them. that or i can always buy something with emgs in them for my hard rock. can someone give me a comparison?

I kinda think that you'd find the SDs to better suit you for the broad swath of "hardrock, classic rock, and clean sounds" than the EMGs.

EMGs have a lot to like about 'em, so long as you either want a heavy overdrive/distortion sound, or a super squeaky clean hi-fi/new-age sorta clean, with or without lots of effects-processing (they stand up very well to labarynthine signal paths and monstrous '80s racks and the like). They have loads of unreal sustain, and yes, they are great for pinch-harmonics, tapping, etc. But, they have a perceived truncated attack and hi-fi electronic sterility to 'em for anything between distortion and super, super clean sounds.

I say this after playing EMGs exclusively for eleven years and finally having to have something different; I went with classic, passive humbuckers and P-90s in Les Pauls and have been much happier with their overall tone ever since...

Again, EMGs are great pickups, but I wouldn't want them in my main or only guitar.

(And for God's sake, stay away from the passive "EMG Select" pickups, they aughtta call 'em "EMGs ThatSuckt"; if you've gotta go with EMGs, go with the active 85 or 89 dual-sound (hb and s/c) humbuckers, and SA or SV single-coil stylees. And if you do go with EMGs, get their SPC and EXG EQ controls, too, they really get the most outta their pickups.)

The 81 is more of a metal/lead pickup; the 85 is actually stronger in output, but more of an all-around classic P.A.F. humbucking sound, with a fuller low-end and mids. Both are active.

I loath the passive EMG HZ/Select/etc. models; kinda the worst of both worlds, tonally.

Trust me; if you're gonna go with the EMGs on a dual-humbucker guitar, go with a pair of 85s, or a pair of 89s. The EXG-control would be an excellent addition, and the SPC would be the icing on the 9-volt battery-powered cake. Do a search for their website and look 'em up. (Note that you can get solder-free harnesses complete with the correct volume-pots for your Les Paul... )

I still think that you aughtta just put those SD Alnico II Pro pickups innitt, though! Whyya draggin' yer feet?

Well, that shouldn't take any more than an hour at all (if that long, really) for the pickup-swap itself; just be sure to specify what is and isn't on the agenda beforehand.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are only changing the pups & not the wiring, putting a pair in an LP takes me about 10 minutes each.

Learn to solder & do it yourself. It'll save you loads of bucks.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I must say the Alnico II Pro is a great sounding pickup. A friend of mine swapped the "Duncan Designed" pups in his Schecter to these, and it really brought that guitar to life.

In a major way.

Like night and day.

It went from muddy and weak to something you might actually hear on an album. Note clarity improved the most, along with a little extra heat to help drive the preamp into crunch.

Archived