Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some help for a novice

kid rock

6 months ago I finally bought an electric guitar and fulfilled a long term ambition to play at the age of 40!!!! I bought the Squier showmaster by Fender and a little Fender 15 watt amp. After some lessons and a lot of practice I am quite pleased with what I have achieved. But now I want to try out some of the multi effect units that are on the market.The problem is I havent got a clue which one to look at there are so many. The type of music i like listening to and playing are modern blues stuff and 70s rock a la Black Sabbath but I also listen to and try to play newer stuff anyone any suggestions for a multi effect unit at the budget end of the market.

Ta

Kid Rock

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You weren't very specific with regard to the type of amp you got. If you got the Frontman 15 amp you aren't going to get a good blues sound no matter what you do. It's a solid-state amp. Now if you got the Hot Rod series (all tube) Pro Junior then you're more likely to get what you're looking for. You might even benefit by getting a Blues Driver. And since this amp doesn't have reverb, you'll want to get a reverb pedal as well. To get the heavy metal sound you're after, any number of distortion pedals should work just fine.

Congratulations on fulfilling your dream!

Originally posted by rw2003:

You may want to check out the LINE 6 POD family of multi-effects...

http://www.line6.com/products/pods/

rw2003 is right. I was thinking about a Line6 pod this morning. It will have everything you need. A new pod 2.0 sells for about $200. If you don't want to spend that much my guess is you could find one on eBay for half that.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your help guys much appreciated. After having looked through all of your suggestions I have bought a Behringer v amp series 2 as it was a real bargain on e bay and has all i would need at this stage.

Thanks

Kid Rock

• 2 weeks later...

Finally arrived (the Behringer vamp2) and having a bit of fun with it but only on headphones. my problem is it has 1\4 inch phono outputs and my amp Fender Frontman(yeah I know little beginners amp) only has rca inputs therefore I cannot hook them up!!! Can anyone recommend a suitable cable???

Many thanks guys

Kid Rock

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Behringer....[is] a German company. They make good products.

OK, I'm going to just hope you were being sarcastic here...

If not, for the sake of the novice asking for help:

Behringer is a German company, true, but they make everything in China. They don't make good products, they make extremely inexpensive products. One out of every six or so of any given product they make will at least hold up for a few years before it breaks. The other 5+ will crap out shortly after the very short (90 days to 1 year) warranty period expires. What products they do manufacture typically pale in comparison to their more expensive counterparts in overall sound quality, build quality, etc. They also don't innovate anything. They have been sued by Mackie and Aphex for copyright infringement, and a number of smaller companies (Ebtech comes immediately to mind) have elected to not sue them because they didn't have the financial resources to fight a long drawn-out court battle. Behringer is bringing to the world what already exists rampantly all over Southeast Asia - cheap knockoffs of the real thing.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Behringer....[is] a German company. They make good products.

OK, I'm going to just hope you were being sarcastic here...

If not, for the sake of the novice asking for help:

Behringer is a German company, true, but they make everything in China. They don't make good products, they make extremely inexpensive products. One out of every six or so of any given product they make will at least hold up for a few years before it breaks. The other 5+ will crap out shortly after the very short (90 days to 1 year) warranty period expires. What products they do manufacture typically pale in comparison to their more expensive counterparts in overall sound quality, build quality, etc. They also don't innovate anything. They have been sued by Mackie and Aphex for copyright infringement, and a number of smaller companies (Ebtech comes immediately to mind) have elected to not sue them because they didn't have the financial resources to fight a long drawn-out court battle. Behringer is bringing to the world what already exists rampantly all over Southeast Asia - cheap knockoffs of the real thing.

Behringer aren't all that bad.

Most Boss, Korg, and other 'name' brands are also made in China, as it's the world's factory place.

Cheaply made, and cheaply shipped to wherever.

Having said that their recent TU-100 tuning pedal is an exact knockoff of the Boss TU-2 pedal, including all the buttons, and lights - but at nearly half the price. I reckon there will be litigation soon.

Personally I own a Behringer mixer and Bass DI box, for which I was only experimenting and wasn't prepared to pay full whack for a name brand.

So for entry-level I don't see anything wrong with Behringer!

Archived