Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buckethead

S_O_A_D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regular or extra crispy? He's a great player

but i just don't dig all the other shit he does

like the puppets,breakdancing ect ect.

Just take the bucket off and play your dam guitar

carroll :freak:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I think he's a stinkin' idiot. There, I said it...

http://www.downtownmusic.net/pictures/picturerhtml/194812269507/Buckethead.jpg

I have a strange feeling that Ellwood will agree...he's been awful surly lately and this one should get him even saltier than before.

who gives a f**k how he acts or what his IQ is? jimi acted a fool, too, on a different level. i feel sorry for anyone that can't respect or accept total individuality. because surely what the world needs is a few more jack johnson drones :rolleyes:

BH is a brilliant guitarist. if you haven't seen him live, it's useless to judge his antics. he blends stellar musicianship with funny/strange entertainment. what's wrong with that?

FWIW i absolutely can't stand most "shred" guitar playing, but BH blows me away. i have four of his discs in my car right now.

He's got to have an IQ that's much higher than 80! I mean... he also has a black belt in one of the martial arts.

The only idiotic move he's done, IMO, is to ever be associated with Guns N' Roses. Ugh.

I love his "Dreamatorium" album. Great musical soundscapes done on electric guitar, a lot of processing, and some bass from Bill Laswell. I generally don't like too much processing, but Bucket makes something artful out of it. It's not just noise, though 99% of the population will probably never get it.

One of these days I'm sure he'll drop the moniker, and the mask.

SRV was also a fuckin' freakshow, I mean... dressing like a 70's pimp in the 80's?... c'mon, get fuckin' serious! So were/are Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde, Frank Gambale, Steve Vai, etc... So are most rock artists. They're just putting up a show, an image.

Buckethead's image doesn't shock or distract me. I haven't heard much of his music, but when I've heard his playing, he's impressed me--he's a great electric guitar player. And his image is so f'ed-up, I think it makes people concentrate more on the music, actually.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

hey skinny funk jazz,

What's your favorite Buckethead CD? I'd like something w/ melodies and grooves, and excellent guitar playing. The melodies and grooves can be pretty f'd-up, or 'accesible', I don't care.

And I really don't think playing w/ GNR was idiotic. There are three huge reasons to play w/ them: 1) You get to play fun music in front of huge audiences (well, if you actually play concerts :P ); 2)$$$$; 3) Exposure. A great guitar player w/ a mask and a KFC bucket on his head could use it.

Good career move, if you ask me.

My MySpace Space

i like the stuff he did with Praxis the best, but his solo albums that top my list are probably monsters and robots, the cuckoo clocks of hell, enter the chicken, and the elephant man's alarm clock.

everything he does grooves, but it's a metal groove. a lot more rhythmic chugging than melody, but it's always interesting. especially how he weaves SO many ideas into one song.

you might like electric tears which was a tribute to his sick mother. i mean she was medically sick, not sick in the head (though that might explain a few things).

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

"who gives a f**k how he acts or what his IQ is? ...BH is a brilliant guitarist. if you haven't seen him live, it's useless to judge his antics. he blends stellar musicianship with funny/strange entertainment. what's wrong with that?"

:cool:

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

"The only idiotic move he's done, IMO, is to ever be associated with Guns N' Roses. Ugh."

:D:D:D:thu::cool:

I'm with Brother McFunkJazz and The Good Doctor Taz. (Funny how I often am.) Other than it being a matter of personal taste- I mean, there're good musicians and styles of music that I just don't care to listen to, it's fine if someone just doesn't like his music- Buckethead should be recognized as a talented player by anyone.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by S_O_A_D:

how about we get back to my question have any of u or some1 u know been to bucketheadland?

yup

My MySpace Space

Hey i just said i didn't dig the non-guitar

activities, i think he's a fantastic chicken pickin guitar player. :rolleyes:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Buckethead puts on a great show! Very interesting indeed! And he picks stellar musicians to accompany him, too. It might not be for everyone (but then again, what is?) but he created a space for himself in the jungle that is the music biz.

For the curious, another one of his albums to listen to for a completely different vibe is Colma. That album contains beautiful tones and spacey new-agey compositions.

Little sidenote: Buckethead is freakishly tall; so much so that he had Gibson build him a custom oversized Les Paul! :eek:

Another little story... At some point during his show he appears with a big bucket labeled Toy Bucket and proceeds to give away toys to people in the audience. For instance, he gave a baby doll (the toy, not the night wear) to a young woman there (can you imagine her explaining to her parents that she got a baby from Buckethead? :D ).

Others got some stupid toy or another. My wife took a picture of him as he had a new toy in his hand and seconds later he came to me and handed me this Morgul Lord Witch-King figurine from Lord of the Rings! That evil looking figurine now sits in my studio next to the picture of Buckethead about to give that very toy to me. I thought that was kind of cool :) .

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

For the curious, another one of his albums to listen to for a completely different vibe is Colma. That album contains beautiful tones and spacey new-agey compositions.

Little sidenote: Buckethead is freakishly tall; so much so that he had Gibson build him a custom oversized Les Paul! :eek:

Others got some stupid toy or another. My wife took a picture of him as he had a new toy in his hand and seconds later he came to me and handed me this Morgul Lord Witch-King figurine from Lord of the Rings! That evil looking figurine now sits in my studio next to the picture of Buckethead about to give that very toy to me. I thought that was kind of cool :) .

Yes, Colma's a terrific album. I'd recommend that to anyone, including non-musicians.

About the LP, is that the white one he used during his stint with GnR?

I demand pictorial evidence for the rest, if you can be bothered to let us see it. Pretty please? :D

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

About the LP, is that the white one he used during his stint with GnR?

I demand pictorial evidence for the rest, if you can be bothered to let us see it. Pretty please? :D

I haven't seen him with GnR but the oversized Les Paul I saw was a white one so I'd have to presume it's the same one. It has a special trigger button on it that he uses as a super fast acting on-off toggle switch for special FX.

As for the pics, I'll see what I can do...

Thanks, Lee. I said he was an idiot, not you. No need to take it so personally and insult me.

I understand that 80 is 20 below average. My point was that IQ is inconsequential to idiocy.

I also realize that he a is a very, very good guitarist. It's my belief that you have to discriminate. You can't just say that he's an awesome guitarist and completely disregard the message and/or other influences. I guess because I disagree that makes me the idiot. Fine, and sorry to offend your delicate Buckethead sensibilities.

Originally posted by S_O_A_D:

Who is familiar with buckethead and have any of you been to BucketHeadLand?

I didn't know "Buckethead" was a person. It sounds like a childhood disease or something to me.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, ma'am. Your kid's got Buckethead. There's nothing we can do for him. He's always going to look like that..."

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I "discovered" Buckethead about a year ago for myself. I knew he played with GnR a few years ago, but I really knew nothing about him, besides the KFC bucket on his head.

That being said, all I now know about him is through videos I've seen on the www and TV. All I can say is that I am amazed at his playing. Yeah, his music is a little way out there but i like it.

He is an amazing guitarist. What blows me away about his playing is his ability to move his fretting fingers independently around the fretboard. Yeah, we all can fret chords, finger scales and other types of runs, but watch his fingers move in different directions at the same time to create something musical and tell me if yours can move that way!

Love that on/off switch that he uses. I also love the fact that he is essentially a shred player but uses a Les Paul with no trmelo arm/tailpiece.

BTW... On a previous thread, I posted a clip of Bucketheat playing in the studio as part of the soundtrack recording led by ANTHRAX for some John Carpenter flick. Steve Vai was there too.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Archived