Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hello to everyone from Newbie

phatfunkjazz

Hi, my name is Stefan and I've been reading these forums for a while, trying to get the courage to introduce myself. I've been learning the (difficult) art of solo acoustic guitar for a year, although I played electric bass for 20 years before that. Anyway, I just recorded a rather clumsy version of one my songs. It's my homage to the music I love, Funk. You can hear my awkward attempts to keep a groove happening while I play the melody.

My Artist Page at Soundclick

Oops...I'm sorry, I meant to post this in the "Master Music Post Area", not here. I hate doing amateur things!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, you didn't mean to post it there or you would have. ;)

I enjoyed your music and hope you post some more. You might want to change your name, though, so as to not tread on FJ's copyrights. :rolleyes:

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by FunkJazz:

hhhhhhhmmmmmm

there's only room for one funkjazz in these here parts fella :D

Oops, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. I've been using the name PhatFunkJazz since 2003 on my own web site...peace?

Stefan

Originally posted by A String:

LOL at FJ. Welcome to the forums PFJ!

That's some tasty playing. What gear are you using?

Thank you A String.

My guitar is a Guild S4CE acoustic/electric (onboard Fishman Matrix transducer), processed through a BBE Acoustimax preamp/DI, into a Yorkville NX250P powered monitor. This recording was a single track (actually, after 10 or so takes) into a Fostex MR-8mkII, with a little onboard reverb added to the mix.

Originally posted by phatfunkjazz:

hhhhhhhmmmmmm

Oops, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. I've been using the name PhatFunkJazz since 2003 on my own web site...peace?

Stefan

Hey, welcome to the GPF, pfj! :cool:

Glad to have you around. I'd also gladly check out your clip, but currently I can't download anything. I'll try to remember this for the future, though.

I think that I can confidently assure you in "FunkJazz's" stead that he's just good-naturedly razzin' you, with total lack of malice. He's just not that kind of guy. (Hence the " :D " at the end of his post there...)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

hhhhhhhmmmmmm

Stefan

just kiddin wit ya

i had to lose some weight fast to avoid any confusion ;)

Originally posted by skinnyfunkjazz:

hhhhhhhmmmmmm

Stefan

just kiddin wit ya

That's too funny!

Originally posted by Billster:

That's nice music. I can "hear" it as a band piece. If you want to hear some great playing that combines groove and melody in a solo setting, check out Tuck Andress (if you haven't already).

yeah man, Tuck is BAD on the solo groove thing. I have his instructional video where he plays Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror"...way funky with a big phat pocket of groove!

Originally posted by skinnyfunkjazz:

hhhhhhhmmmmmm

Stefan

just kiddin wit ya

I know you're kidding...at first, I had a momentary feeling of "oops", but I figured the registration process would catch any duplicate usernames. Besides, recording is way too serious (for me), and I need some humor to get me over myself. :)

Stefan

Thank you to everyone here for your generous welcome to a new guy like myself. I've been listening to some of your recordings, and I find myself in fine company. The internet is really a great place to connect with other musicians/artists...otherwise, I'd probably go bonkers practicing at home all the time.

I just recorded another original song, a Jazz blues, kind of in the style of Wes Montgomery. I admit, I stubbornly played it too fast; it sounds like a race (the way I play it!). I should have slowed it down several bpm, but damn if my ego will let me. This recording stuff is great, it gives me the opportunity to hear what I sound like. Very humbling, indeed.

Archived