Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My First Experience with Guitar-Death

Ricardo.

I left my CHEAP, poorly assembled 30-dollar acoustic in my car in a gig bag all day under a very hot sun. Recipe for disaster. When I went to pull it out to add acoustic to a jam session I discovered that the headstock had separated from the neck and the fretboard had also come unglued.

ARRGH!

I'm down to a cheap nylon-strung acoustic, and my two electrics now :cry:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The death of a guitar is a sad thing. I've watch three of mine expire.

The first one went when I was a kid. It was a cheap acoustic I had strung on my back. Of course the strap let go and the guitar did a face plant effectively removing it's head.

The second guitar was a beautiful tak. It was loaded into the back of our Cubevan and one of the speakers from the PA stack fell into it. Needless to say, it was crushed.

The third one was my first Strat. I watched as it burned up in truck fire along with all of our gear and personal items.

I think there should be a guitar graveyard where we can all go to pay our respects.

I've never had a guitar die but I did have one try to kill me. When I was a teenager we lived in an old house with only old two prong outlets into which my amp was plugged. I never used to trim my strings too well so they were hanging off the headstock. So, as I was playing, one of the strings brushed against the metal cover of a light switch. KAPOW! Everything dimmed momentarily and my string was vaporized! Plus one for trimming strings :)

So, as I was playing, one of the strings brushed against the metal cover of a light switch. KAPOW! Everything dimmed momentarily and my string was vaporized! Plus one for trimming strings [smile]
I'd like to see that on tape :thu:

It reminds me of our Bass player back in my first band. He was playing through an old silvertone amp that had a ground switch. One day day I went to touch the strings and I zap...i saw white pealry gates and a guy with a beard, then I came back to earth, man what a ride! :D

Ok wasn't that bad but was a bad shock.

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

Never had a guitar die on me yet.

I was watching a Stones bio the other day. The Sixties. Showed Keef get fried on stage at a show. KAPOW Laid him out cold and stopped the show.

I got zapped by 220 once. I was hooking up the 220 tie in for our light show on the stage. The place we were playing had two stages and when I asked the guy to turn off the 220 power to the stage, he turned off the wrong stage. I was really lucky, it was one of those cases where the shock produced a force that pushed me back (about 6 feet!). Instead of getting stuck to the box and dying from 220 volts through my heart, I was thrown back to safety and only suffered some minor bruises.

Back in my crazy days I pretty much trashed a brand new guitar. My wife bought me a Tak G-Series for around $700 for a wedding gift. 2 weeks later I was playing it at a friend's cabin by the lake. We were playing around a campfire and let's just say I was not exactly sober. Walking back up the trail to the cabin at about 4 a.m. I thought I saw a soccer ball in the darkness on the edge of the trail. I ran up and kicked it...not only did kicking a large rock break a toe, but I dropped my new guitar (not in the case...what a dummy) and it got pretty scratched-up on the back, like 8 or 10 big scratches and a couple gouges. It never did sound the same again. The intonation was messed-up and I could never get it fixed properly. Took me ten years to replace it though.

Yea, the things we do without thinking or double checking. It's kind of funny now, but sucks at the time.

My first Les Paul was an LP Studio. No strap locks. Strap comes off, LP neck crashes to the floor, neck splinters. I stand there looking down at my only guitar. Practice session over. Would have cost more to replace the neck than to buy another guitar. :(

Moral of the story, strap locks and multiple guitars.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Bbach bob robert:

Moral of the story, strap locks...

Sometimes, even that's not enough. My Fender has a crack across the wood, on the inside of the guitar, that comprises the heel.

I was on stage, not jumping around or doing anything weird and my strap lock just let go. When I examined it, the metal had broken!

Here is a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/twocaraboos/DSCF6807.jpg

So, anyone know how to fix a cracked heel?

quote:
Originally posted by Starcaster:

I left my CHEAP, poorly assembled 30-dollar acoustic in my car in a gig bag all day under a very hot sun. Recipe for disaster. When I went to pull it out to add acoustic to a jam session I discovered that the headstock had separated from the neck and the fretboard had also come unglued.

ARRGH!

I'm down to a cheap nylon-strung acoustic, and my two electrics now :wave:

Had the bridge separate from the body of a Gibson J-40 just like this. It reglued itself to the body, only angled. A shop was able to pull it up and glue it back in its normal postion. No one was the wiser.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived