Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new tascam fire wire DAW thingy

http://www.tascam.com/products/computer_recording/fw1884/index.php what do we can these things? controlers? audio cards? mixers? anyway I think we should call them CAM's (controler/audiocar/mixer) anyway what to you thini of this thing, .. I think its going up with the 01x from yamaha - interesting to see how these thing will work out long term:any thoughts? Kevin Nemrava

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tascam piece appears to be a computer I/O and remote control, while the 01X is a digital mixer with onboard DSP (effects, EQ, dynamics), remote control and computer I/O.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

If the 01X sounds as bad as the 01V I had, I wouldn't even consider buying it. The 01V had such a harsh, cold digital sound to it that it made anything sound bad. I think that TASCAM FW-1884 has some real potential. Why get a Mobile I/O, 828, 896 or Firestation when you can get a combined Firewire interface and a control surface on the level of a HUI for a street price of $1300? Seems like you get a lot for your money and I've always found TASCAM stuff to sound good and be dependable, with the exception of an audio CD burner I once had.

The 01X is a decendant from the new 02R96 and 01V96. So everything from the preamps to the EQ and effects are dramatically improved over the 01V.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal Trix Rabbit: [b](right jeff??) :eek: [/b][/quote]Cereal, you're a good buddy, but you shouldn't not discuss anything on my account. In that regard, I also spent over seven years at Alesis, and that hasn't stopped anyone from posting about those products I was involved with (ADAT, QS synths, Masterlink, etc.). Both the 01X and FW-1884 are really cool tools. I think they will both do well, and people will dig them. - Jeff

Hey Jeff, Can you shed anymore light on the new Tascam interface? What are the pre's like in it (I hear they are the same in the SX-1....which I also haven't heard). Any unbiased opinions now? I know you were always honest about the gear when you worked with them but might not have actually mentioned any areas of question yourself? It looks like a great unit. Thanks, Scott

[quote]Originally posted by Bonedog: [b]What are the pre's like in it (I hear they are the same in the SX-1....which I also haven't heard).[/b][/quote]They are the same as the SX-1's...and I'm not going to attempt to describe them. I feel the SX-1 preamps are good, but these are subjective things that you should try and check out for yourself. [quote][b]Any unbiased opinions now? I know you were always honest about the gear when you worked with them but might not have actually mentioned any areas of question yourself? It looks like a great unit.[/b][/quote]Always did have unbiased opinions, but I keep most of that stuff, good and bad, to myself. So much of it is just opinion, since we're dealing with abstract concepts. As far as I know, both the TASCAM and Yamaha boxes seem to be good ideas, at good price points, and each with respective advantages. Everyone wins. :) - Jeff

Archived