Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prog/German prog.

vikingrat

Just wondering if any of you guys are into it and if so can turn me on to some stuff that I may have Missed?I consider it a pretty broad genre that includes Can,Faust,Rush,Ruins,Robert Wyatt,Floyd and Yes.P.S If you hate the stuff,and I know alot of people do,just skipp the topic please.I have headr all the its just a poor mans jazz,Pretinous wank stuff and I really do want to get turned on to some stuff that I havn't heard old or new.Thanks guys.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Well, as soon as I read that they were prog I lost all interest in them, so I don't know either way but... aren't Spock's Beard meant to be prog too?

S.B is prog in the same way Styx or Supertramp is.Not bad but not really my thing.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by vikingrat:

S.B is prog in the same way Styx or Supertramp is.Not bad but not really my thing.

Oh, ok. Like I said, I'm not an expert. :)
Sorry K.F. I didn,t mean that in a smart ass way at all. :thu:

Originally posted by vikingrat:

Sorry K.F. I didn,t mean that in a smart ass way at all. :thu:

No, no... it's cool. Really. :)

I've learned that Styx and Supertramp are on the fringes of prog (which I didn't know, having always believed them to be top 40 pop bands) and that SB is not "real" prog. All without having to buy any of their records! :D:thu:

I owe you a beer!

Hey- I might be seeing Spock's Beard on Saturday! Not the same since Neal Morse left, but still pretty good. Alan Morse can twist a tone around quite nicely... or strangely.

Try Transatlantic or The Flower Kings? Marillion?

IQ? Kino? Porcupine Tree? Jadis? Enchant? Arena? Tony Levin Band?

Devin Townsend? Vanden Plas? More of the prog-metal side, I guess.

Orphan Project, Fall of Echoes, & Visual Cliff have some forumites involved...

I like Aural Moon, but have trouble streaming them at work. I have been able to get Delicious Agony

They play a wide variety of prog.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Wait- just re-read your heading. Are you looking for solely German prog bands?

I think Anekdoten, and Anglegard are from Germany (Could be wrong). Other European bands that are cool: The Watch (Italian- singer nails the early Peter Gabriel styling); White Willow; Karmakanic. Try them on for size.

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Danzilla:

Wait- just re-read your heading. Are you looking for solely German prog bands?

I think Anekdoten, and Anglegard are from Germany (Could be wrong). Other European bands that are cool: The Watch (Italian- singer nails the early Peter Gabriel styling); White Willow; Karmakanic. Try them on for size.

You are right on track!! I have stuff from Anglegard,the live one and Im huge on P.T and Fish era Marillion.Im a Can and Faust nut ass well.What got me wondering was a post about a band called Patto.Really good stuff.Thanks though to all you guys for the suggestion's.Any I don't know I will check out.Allways hungry for new stuff. :thu:

Originally posted by Starcaster:

Originally posted by Starcaster:

King Crimson? Genesis? Fish? Alan Parsons?

Argh are my posts invisible or just crappy?
Sorry Starcaster. there neither.The bands you mentioned I am into so I should have said something.Im just trying to find some stuff that may have slipped under the radar.I appreciate the fact that you would take the time to repond to my post,bad spelling and all! :thu:

Ooh... I forgot one I've recently "discovered":

Par Lind Project. Par is a keyboard player in the Emerson/Wakeman tradition, and then some; but what I've heard is arranged to showcase everyone, including a smoking guitar player (not sure who) and a great female vocalist. Not just a case of "Hear me-I'm an amazing keyboardist.. oh and this is my band." (like Aryeon)

NEW band Old band

Styx. God that band was cool whenever TOMMY SHAW sang!! That other guy is such a cheezball with that annoying vibrato he has. I hated all the Dennis Deyoung songs. They make me want to shoot myself, but before I do that I have to dress up like a girl and hide my penis between my legs like the guy from Silence of the Lambs. Then I have freedom to 'escape the madness'.

Tommy Shaw is a sweet singer and guitar player. I remember watching an interview with him and he was discussing why he left Styx. Hilarious.

He was like, "I just didn't feel cool singing songs about robots."

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Styx. God that band was cool whenever TOMMY SHAW sang!! That other guy is such a cheezball with that annoying vibrato he has. I hated all the Dennis Deyoung songs. They make me want to shoot myself, but before I do that I have to dress up like a girl and hide my penis between my legs like the guy from Silence of the Lambs. Then I have freedom to 'escape the madness'.

Tommy Shaw is a sweet singer and guitar player. I remember watching an interview with him and he was discussing why he left Styx. Hilarious.

He was like, "I just didn't feel cool singing songs about robots."

Dude,you just got me cracking up big time.Did you see the whole behind the music thing with them!!They are dressed up doing the chacters from that killroy was here album and someone during the quite bit yells PLAY SOME ROCK & ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I could thing was SPINAL TAP..PLAY STONEHENGE!!! what the hell were they thinking.O.T but theres a story about KISS having a listening party for their big concept album music from the elder.They invite all these people just like Tap and are walking around looking at each other like they just released their Abbey road or something.Then when the record is over dead uncomfortable silence!! all these big wigs looking at each other like what the hell was that? God I hate those guys.I would have loved to been there and just pointed at Gene and laughed.

Archived