Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1000 lb. Metal

Ricardo.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Starcaster:

I.e. Heavy Metal. Following that distortion topic, I realized that I don't have enough metal in my collection.

I dislike many metal bands because:

1. Silly lyrics (IMO, silliness in Metal is fairies, Satan, and sex with dead animals). Nothing against them I suppose but I don't like it much when it comes to Metal. Hell, I thought Led Zeppelin did a good job with mystic, fairy tale lyrics in some instances :)

2. "Cookie Monster" vocals. Don't like 'em.

3. "Too much" classical influence. If every solo is at Yngwie speeds and focuses on delivering diminished runs that sound melodramatic (it's a term I use loosely and often) and not "genuine" I lose interest.

4. No leads/entire Dropped-D riff'd songs. There's too many out there, and I already have Disturbed to satisfy that low-end need.

I think that covers most of it. At the moment, the only bands I've accepted into my circle of Metal is Metallica, some Pantera, System of a Down, Disturbed, and (I guess it counts) Black Sabbath. I also have Stratovarius as my lone representative Eastern Europe Metal band.

*Phew* looking for recommendations. I've searched far and wide for bands that have _strong, authentic riffs_, and are _angry_ without descending into heavy melodramatism (it's a fine line in music).

Help!

what ? where in the world are u getting ur metal from?

ok, try dragonforce, try blind guardian or grave digger, try stream of passion, try within temptation, nightwish, angeldust... metallica?

as i agree that most " Death metal " want to be " Dark " and just praise and talk about satan and scream their lung out, but there is a lot of stuff out there that is really really really good and you wouldnt believe its metal, id choose metal over any punk any time... ( oh and Magic kingdom also !)

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Not sure if it's what you would call "metal" but if you want some heavy stuff try Ministry or Prong. You won't hear any shred style solos but some really good grooves and riffs.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Archived