Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sound shaping

Jersey Jack

I'm an almost-lapsed keyboard player who's looking to go over to the other team and begin playing guitar as my main instrument. I've been a "strummer" for many years, but recently I've made some effort to improve my guitar playing, so I'm hopeful, I guess. My question concerns those mysterious boxes that typically grow like mushrooms beneath the feet of guitarists--stomp boxes, effects pedals, whatever.

Now keyboardists are usually trying to get the cleanest sound possible, so effects boxes of this sort don't often play an important role for us. As I stride boldly into guitarland, I'm uncertain about what boxes I should invest in. (Let me first say that I already searched the archives under both "pedal" and "box" and didn't find much that was useful.)

So, the details. I have a strat (alas, hecho en mexico) and a fender amp (alas, the cheap FM series). I know that this gear isn't the best, so I'm not expecting too much. What I want to get is that alt country, rockabilly, vaguely pedal-steelish sound. Think Lucinda Williams, Buddy Miller, Dave Alvin, etc. Would any specific box/pedal be worth looking into in pursuit of a sound like this? I have the reverb pumped up on my amp, and the sound is okay, but is there anything I can add that might help out?

Thanks,

Jack

New Jersey

Jersey Jack

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First :wave: Welcome to this corner of the world

Dave Alvin - one of the GREAT Under-rated guitarists, worn out the electrons on several copies of "Out in California"

Back to the question, you might look first at a simple overdrive pedal to give that FMa little more spank and growl. ( I use a cheapie Danelectro - but it appears that I'm now collecting them since I just bought another)

You might also want to look at compressor/sustainers for that pedal steel, violin sustain.

My .02 worth YMMV

Lynn G

If you don't feel like messing with all the effects pedals you can get a modeling amp with effects. All the major brands have them now: Marshal, Fender, Line6, Peavey, Crate.

Or you can get one of the multi-effects pedals like a Boss ME, or Digitech RP.

But with your solid state Fender FM I might suggest some basic/solid effects like: Overdrive, Flanger, Chorus and Echo. My research lends me to recommend almost any Boss pedal for Value and Features and Construction.

For ease of use though: Something like a Line6 Vetta Amp with lots of amp models, effects and presets should do the trick.

Go to guitar center and try out all that stuff.

However, I would improve my clean playing before I started to rely on effects too much.

i'd recommend a tele and low powered tube amp like a blues jr or deluxe reverb paired with a good comp pedal like the Line6 Constrictor for your basic sound.

maybe put an overdrive pedal after the comp - the voodoo labs Sparkledrive is killer for clean boost with a little gristle.

a little slap echo effect from a digital delay like the Boss DD-3 after that - and you've got it nailed.

you could do all the parts from Lucinda's newest, or just about any Wilco tune.

What "other team"???

Musicians iz musicians!

Bsides keyboard players strum too...U never C Jerry Lee Lewis play?! :P

As far as gear, it's not all tubes & roses 4 guitarists.

A little birdie tells me some very effective stuff can B done with something like the digitech GNX4 [a combination effects unit/amp&speaker modeler/digital recorder &(not done yet) USB computer interface].

Rilly the best way 2 C what things U wanna buy is 2 sound check 'em at a music store (or take 'em home, F they let U).

The one big difference Btween playing guitar & keys is that your hands actually affect the outcome more than on keyboards, so gear responds more uniquely.

Welcome! Yes there are so many choices with add on effects and amp modeling will give you just about any effect or combination of effects anyone could ever want for any purpose. However in your case you are looking for a certain sound and you sight a player that is known for a particular signature sound and nothing else. I say a Telecaster, a vintage series Fender Tweed reissue amp, a analogue slap back echo and your are there with Buddy Miller's tone. In my case because I play covers of just about every famous rock band I must have lots of floor effects. You don't need all of these effects! If you want too click on SoundClick at the bottom of this post and listen to a file named CAL... that is a rock a billy tune using pretty much the combination I sighted above except the amp was a Laney. No special effects added except some nice reverbs...LEE

Archived