Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Stones In Hyde Park, 1968. Anyone know much about it?

I like going through bargain bins and one time I picked up a bunch of live Stones CDs. The quality is fairly dire but that's looking at the trees, rather than the forest.

Anyway, I have one that sounds pretty damned awful, mix wise and the sleeve just said "Recorded in Hyde Park 05/07/69", which would be the date of Brian Jones' memorial concert.

Now, that's a pretty neat find, but I wonder... the easiest thing in the world is to come up with a bullshit date for the recording. There's four tracks from that gig (whenever it was). There's

• No Expectations
  • Loving Cup
  • Jumping Jack Flash and
  • Sympathy For The Devil

Loving Cup is unusual in that it was released on "Exile" a good three years later. But then, some songs kick around for years before being released, if they ever get that far.

Anyone know much about this gig? As in a track list or some sort of dead giveaway (ie there should be keys as Nicky Hopkins or someone was playing and that sort of thing). Anybody know of some site that is anally retentive enough to go into this sort of detail?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a website about that concert:

Stones at Hyde Park 69

The Rolling Stones

Mick Jagger

Keith Richards

Mick Taylor

Bill Wyman

Charlie Watts -

Ginger Johnsons African Drummers - dancing and percussion.

SET LIST

Eulogy for Brian Jones, I'm Yours , She's Mine .Jumpin' Jack Flash .No Expectations ,Mercy Mercy ,Stray Cat Blues, I'm Free .Down Home Girl , Love in Vain .Loving Cup , Midnight Rambler .Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women , Street Fighting Man, Sympathy For The Devil.

Originally posted by A String:

... Ginger Johnsons African Drummers - dancing and percussion.

Well, that must be it then.

I was listening to the drums and thinking that Charlie Watts was being an unusually busy drummer that day. :)

That's a rather silly record company then.

Had they spent a couple of extra quid on presentation they might have steered clear of a bargain bin in Sicily. :D And, I imagine, from bankruptcy court.

Hey A String that's a really cool site! :D Thank'ee.

ellwood: thanksallasame! :):thu:

Archived