Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

body work

TCSpider

i've recently been given an old, horribly abused guitar. being a carpenter by trade and guitarist & bassist in my free time my heart cryed out to this abuse case. it needs quite a lot of work. my first order of business was to remove the old paint to see if the wood is still in good shape. thankfully, it is. now i have a completely cleaned and sanded body. this being the first guitar i've ever had to repaint i need to know if i should put a sealing coat on the body first or just double coat the wood to compensate for any paint absorbed by the wood.
i am the anti, the tugging feeling in the back of your head that makes you second guess yourself. i am the devil inside of you begging to escape.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i want to put a cherry red base layer of paint then using a tinted gloss create a spider web pattern and finishing it off with a clear coat or two.
i am the anti, the tugging feeling in the back of your head that makes you second guess yourself. i am the devil inside of you begging to escape.

Sound great. Be sure to post some pics once you get it finished.

There is probably a rule about amount of paint, clear coats etc. in regards to the tone of the wood. Once again, your best bet is to hang out until one of the, more knowledgeable folks in the area, comes back.

there's really not much i can do until i get the parts i need. here's the list of things that i need/want to replace. all six tuning machines, the bridge, the nut, the volume and tone nobs, and strings. i want to add a pick-up selector and maybe a new pick up. all together, a minimum of $140 worth of new parts.

go to GuitarReranch. Read. All the info is there for free. Painting a guitar is not hard, but the paint is the least part of the job. The real issue is the proper prep work, and proper sealing and priming. If you do not do this, the job will suck. To much of a guitar body consists of end grain.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

What I've read is that you wanna seal it, sand it, seal it again, sand it again, and keep repeating the process till you have a glass-smooth surface. Then put a final coat of sealer on, and start putting on your finish.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

sounds like just the kind of long term side project i've been looking for. i'll have some pics up soon. i just need some time to get things orginized.

here is the body and neck of the abuse case as they currently exist.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/TCSpider/2006_0320Image0009.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/TCSpider/2006_0320Image0008.jpg

If you are into something funky...

I painted one Strat guitar body Federal Saftey Purple.

Then I took a piece of stick on shelf paper and drew an op art pattern on it. With an Exacto knife I cut out the pattern, puttin every other piece on the front of the guitar, and the reaming pattern pieces on the back of the guitar, and did a little triming and fitting around the edges to make things match up nicely.

Then I painted the guitar Federal Safety Red. Let it dry, then peeled the shelf paper off of the guitar. Purple and red op art pattern.... prettu wild.

Then I took regular black electrican's tape and wrapped it all around the body at a 45 degree angle. Covered the whole body.

Took the Exacto knife and cut out a few hundred slots, about 3/16" by 3/4". Then I sprayed the guitar Federal Safety Yellow. After it dried I pulled off the electricans tape, leaving me with a red and purple op art guitar with yellow zings running across the body. A friend of mine loved it so much, he kept bugging me until I sold it to him.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived