Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ARE guitar Lock systems meant to be this way?

Shred Till I Die

Okay,

Are floating tremolos really a pain tuning? Do the strings automatically change its tuning every single time you tune another string?

Is it normal to take different methods such as overtuning or downtuning, cross-tuning or using wood?

I was just really wondering, because its pretty abrasive doing all this trial-and-error and tweaking just to achieve proper tuning. :P Im not angry, but if its not normal do I need to take it to a guitartech? OR can some1 teach me how to fix my guitar, like the hardware...

Thanks,

Kevin Barleta

-Shred Till I Die-

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with HT here. I blocked off the trem on my Strat years ago. If I feel the need for wanging the bar, I'll go to my brothers and play his Wolfgang. Then I'll let him mess with tuning it, setting it up, etc.

But seriously Shred, get a copy of Dan Erlwine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide", there is a very good section on setting up a Floyd Rose. You will be glad you did. This book will teach you things that you didn't think that you needed to know. Good luck.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

They're a pain. But, if you need/want those effects, it's worth it.

You get the hang of it--just don't break any strings! And forget about those types of bends where you matche another note you're playing , too... out of tune!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Are they a pain? Yes - It's just the nature of the beast. If you use it, then it's worth sitting down and figuring it out. You don't have to take your guitar to a tech every time you want to change strings. I think it's really a question of finding a routine and taking the time to do it. Personally, I never used my floyd enough to warrant the hassle it took to get it set up and just got tired of it.

If you think they're a pain when you've got the time and you're just changing strings though - wait 'till you break a string on stage, mid-song and the whole thing goes out of whack...

Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

they can be difficult, but when you understand the way they work it isn't too bad. but using the tuning method i stole from Dan Erlewine it is easy.

as suggested his book is awesome, everyone who owns a guitar should have one. if i ran a store i would include one with every guitar purchase.

As far as tuning goes, if you keep it floating, I start at the low E, tune it, and work my way down to the high E. Then I go back to the low E and start again because of the tremolo, third time through typically does the trick. I had mine adjusted so I barely had the bridge off the body 1/16" (Fender recommends 1/8") but I recently cranked the claw down so the tremolo sits flush, and tight enough when I bend the other strings don't go flat. Much easier to tune and some claim the "tone" is better with it on the body.

I did have some hang-ups at the string T, but I changed it for one of those Graphtec jobs (as well as the saddles) and I can go snakey with the tremolo bar now and it always comes back to tune.

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Its best to not change ur tuning too often, I just leave my soloist stuck at standard tuning, but if you constantly change tuning, from standard to down half step, or drop D, your in big trouble! Thats why I have another axe to play in a different tuning.

Once u keep it in tune, it usually stays in tune, until you break a string or something.

Archived