Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Type of Music Do you guys like playing?

Shred Till I Die

Hey guys,

Since I'm slightly new here, let me ask, What is everybody's favourite type of Music Genre? You can name me a couple if you can't sum it all up in one genre. And also, How many years have you been playing?

Just a few questions, to get the feel of the people I will be discussing music for some time.. :P

Well for me, I like Metal (Esp. Melodic Deathmetal and Metalcore), Hardcore and Emo (Stuff like Fear From the March of Flames and From Autumn to ashes) and some Acoustic(More of Emo acoustic or songs made by Metalbands).

Well I like all types of music, but these are the type of music I enjoy playing the most.

I've been playing for 2-3 years, since I was 12, and I am 15 this year..

-Shred Till I Die-

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have no idea.

I like millions of things and am always trying to understand what the hell I am trying to do.

One time I realized that even though I own only one of his records, I have been really influenced by JJ Cale. Or maybe that's just my imagination and delusions of grandeur.

I suppose I like things on an individual basis: I might like one album by a band and hate the rest or maybe I'll like something competely irrelevant, such as maybe the cute piano track on one song or something.

I really have no idea what I like, and that's a pain in the ass.

I'm abit of a blues hound, can't get enough, especially the old stuff, but the guys I play with (drummer, singer, bass player, another guitarist...but we haven't performed in front of anyone yet nor do we intend to, it's just for fun so I don't consider us a band) like to play Beatles, Stones, Tom Petty, Van Morrison....typical cover band stuff. Another guy I jam with on a regular basis prefers Santana, Los Lonely Boys and Hendrix, and I've been learning a ton from him. When I'm on my own, it's Hound Dog Taylor, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, SRV, Lightning Hopkins, Robert Johnson, R.L. Burnside, Buddy Guy...but I do some White Stripes, ACDC, Jet and Green Day with my daughter too.

Been playing just over three years now, started late in life, when I finally landed a job that gave me a great deal of free time. I used to play when I was 14/15 but lived out in the boonies on a farm and didn't have access to any instruction or jam buddies, and it died. Trying to figure out Rush licks in a vacuum was pretty frustrating, so I traded my cheap Les Paul copy for a dirtbike!

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

<

me 2-3 years. ye,Im still an amatuer >>

Well, you never stop learning, & basically nobody lives long enough to be anything but an amateur (regardless of being paid or not).

I've been wrestling with guitar for maybe 40 years. Sometimes I win, sometimes guitar wins.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I listen to hard rock/metal most of the time, but I really love to play the blues. But overall, I'd have to agree with Bill, anything but polkas and country...but throw rap in there also. I'd listen to polka before rap. If its a good song, I'll listen to it.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I have a pretty limited scope in what I seek out and listen to, but overall I have a broad apreciation of music. I have played 10 years now, and I fancy myself as a rock player... I like music that takes itself seriously, I'm not into syncopated college rock or choked up man purse relationship rock. I'm eager to hear and apreciate new music, but the new boss is the same as the old boss.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Flamenco, the real "puro" stuff from Spain, not the rumba/nouveau flamenco that Jesse Cook, Ottmar Liebert etc... play(I like what they do but I'm not grabbing my guitar when I hear it). I mean artists like Sabicas, Juan Serrano, Paco Pena and some of Paco de Lucias music. I still pick up my electric and rattle off blues riffs and the odd rock song that I recall from my band days but when it comes to working on new material it's almost always flamenco.

It's been a 40 year trip so far,

Jim

Originally posted by Fingerstyle_Jim:

Flamenco, the real "puro" stuff from Spain, not the rumba/nouveau flamenco that Jesse Cook, Ottmar Liebert etc... play(I like what they do but I'm not grabbing my guitar when I hear it). I mean artists like Sabicas, Juan Serrano, Paco Pena and some of Paco de Lucias music. I still pick up my electric and rattle off blues riffs and the odd rock song that I recall from my band days but when it comes to working on new material it's almost always flamenco.

It's been a 40 year trip so far,

Jim

In my opinion, flamenco is at the top of the heirarchy of guitar playing

I listen to many different kinds of music, including rap :o . I have only a bit of rap though; I take it one artist at a time. I don't like the crap that followed Van Halen (including some Van Halen), and I can't hear what makes Jimi Hendrix super-special. Epic Scandinavian metal is almost as bad to listen to as Emo sometimes by the way :)

I enjoy playing in just about all styles, including jazz, rock, blues, pop, and some country. I've always had an affinity for Spanish- and Latin-flavored music, and I've been exploring that more especially since I added an Ibanez GA6CE classical-electric guitar two months ago to go alongside my Fender Strat Standard and my Ibanez V70CE-NT acoustic-electric.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Originally posted by Starcaster:

I listen to many different kinds of music, including rap :o . I have only a bit of rap though; I take it one artist at a time. I don't like the crap that followed Van Halen (including some Van Halen), and I can't hear what makes Jimi Hendrix super-special. Epic Scandinavian metal is almost as bad to listen to as Emo sometimes by the way :)

As far as the scandanavian metal, I saw children of bodam play once and Alexi can freakin shred and sing! Maybe the exception to the rule, not my scene but that guy is very talented.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Originally posted by comacoda:

I saw children of bodam play once and Alexi can freakin shred and sing! Maybe the exception to the rule, not my scene but that guy is very talented.

Yup, I had to cop some COB for a student more than a few times. The cat can definitely has clean picking speed, but plays very melodically and tastefully and even stretches for some chromatics and outside harmonies. I'm glad that the student was one of my one hour students, cuz a half-hour just ain't enough to be coppin' Alexi - no doubt

I listen to a variety of music, many differnet styles.

I like to play power pop...great melodies with a hard rocking guitar and backbeat. Somewhere between Elvis, Beach Boys, Buddy Holly, The Ramones, Cheap Trick, and Weezer. Some people said my songs sound like The Cars (which I took as a compliment since I like The Cars :thu: ) .

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

Archived