Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting acoustic to play as easily as electric..

MadStrum

I own a seagull acoustic and a godin electric.

I was playing classical gas on my acoustic and then on my electric. It was a hell of a lot easier on the electric to play. (I do some chord sliding and it is effortless on the electirc, but on acoustic it's kinda painful after an hour or so) I've probably lowered the action on my seagull as low as it can go without buzzing.

Is it possible to get an acoustic to play as easily as an acoustic? I'm using .12 strings on my acoustic, and .10 on the electric.

Pier.

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well ive been playing acoustic like 3 years more than i have electric... maybe i just find it easier cuz im already used to the strings and strength needed for bends and the sensibility of the already mentioned strings...

i mean, an electric is far more sensitive and u just need to bearly even touch a string and its already making noise.

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Keep playing the acoustic; your fingers will eventually stop hurting. It hasn't gotten as easy for me to press down strings on my acoustic as on my electric, but I have a horrible acoustic. I've tried out friend's acoustics and I can nearly play them as easily (with bends) as electrics; though never AS easy. I've never felt comfortable picking on electrics though; the tension is way too soft.

I would also assume that the T5 would be as easy to play as an electric ;)

Hmm...perhaps I have to roughen up my fingers till I can afford a really gd, well-setup acoustic. ;)

Or maybe sacrifice a bit of tone/projection and use .11s.

The T5... I really wonder if I'll ever be able to afford it. Maybe if the clones start coming out.... :P

Pier.

I've always used 10s on my acoustic, and on my electric. For a long time I had 12s on the (57 Les Paul) electric, and I really, really like that extra ommph that comes from the heavier strings on both the acoustic and electric. But I can't bend them very well, and I was ripping the cuticle to hell and back, and my fingers were bleeding. So I compromised in the other direction.

Now, though I can indeed play more and longer on the electric, I can pretty much play about anything that I can play on either. The trick to this is to always play the acoustic. Always. Builds up strength, and when you do pick up the electric, you'll surprise yourself at what you are able to do.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I don't think you can EVER get an acoustic to feel as light and as agile as an electric.

In fact, a lot of guys (inc. Keef) recommend "training" on acoustic, in order to come back to the electric with added strength in your fingers.

Going by that, it doesn't sound as if you can ever get acoustics to be as soft to play as an electric.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

I don't think you can EVER get an acoustic to feel as light and as agile as an electric.

The closest that I ever got was with an Ovation.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

The closest that I ever got was with an Ovation.

Errrm... yeah. Wish they'd do something about the actual sound, though.

It must be the pickups, Ovations always sound as if someone compressed the hell out of the sound. They don't go "twang". They go "twaaAAAang". Bloody hate that about them.

Mind you, we're talking about the feel not the sound.

Errrm... yeah. Wish they'd do something about the actual sound, though.

There isn't anything you can do about the sound. As one famous speaker cabinet manufacturer used to advertise.... "we don't make plastic speakers for the same reason that Steinway doesn't make plastic pianos."

If you really search, you can find the odd one that sounds better than the others, but still and all... plastic.

Bill

Steve Martin

I have to agree that, for the most part, that one cannot get an acoustic to play as easily as an electric, but it is possible to come close. I use D'Addario 0.10 phosphour bronze strings (lightest available acoustic strings) on my Ibanez V70CE-NT, and I am pretty much able to do a lot on that guitar that I do on my Fender Strat Standard while still getting a good full acoustic sound. Of course, some of that has come with practice and building up finger strangth over the years. My main suggestion to MadStrum would be to go with 0.10 strings on his acoustic and see how those do for him.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

I've played a couple of well set-up Taylors that played pretty easily. Not as easy as a Strat, but damned easy for an acoustic. The problem is that the lower the action and the lighter the strings, the more you sacrifice the sound...the tone and projection start to diminish. By the time you actually get as easy to play as an electric, it probably will sound like an electric, too.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I have an Ovation Applause that actually plays harder than my big-box Ibanez dreadnaught.

The neck width/radius, the strings and the action...as they vary, so does the playability.

I can't play full chords as long on my acoustics as on an electric...and after awhile, my hand will get tired and the string buzz creeps in on the low strings.

I just don't play acoustic very often, which is the main reason I can't play it as long as my electrics.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

In fact, a lot of guys (inc. Keef) recommend "training" on acoustic, in order to come back to the electric with added strength in your fingers.

Going by that, it doesn't sound as if you can ever get acoustics to be as soft to play as an electric.

The T5 is easier but not nearly as easy as my strat...

taking it back to the song mentioned( classical gas ), i take a look at it and decided to learn it ! ( not the edit by oscar lopez, but the original ) ... would you say its easier to finger pick it or to use a pic ? oO

I learned to play it awhile ago and I don't think I'd be able to use a pick without going through a lot of trouble :o

The way I pick is the lazy, wrong way with primarily my thumb and index finger; Classical Gas can be played with these two fingers alone almost. Good luck.

IMO the best way to do it is to play slightly more acoustic than electric. You will want to keep playing electric very often because you might find that after getting used to playing acoustic it may be hard to play lighter on the electric. You end up overplaying. In order to get to the place where you can play easily on acoustic it does take more time on the acoustic than on the electric. I hope you get what I'm getting at. Just trying to help a brother out.
"I wanted to play saxophone, but all I could get were a few squeaks. So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too."---SRV

Originally posted by Warthog:

The T5 is easier but not nearly as easy as my strat...
Forgot to mention: I play it with electric strings...String it up with a bronze set and change out the bridge and I'll bet it plays a lot more "acoustically", that is, more effort required.

Low action and light strings are nice on acoustic IF you can get a good sound! And surely, you don't have use telephone cables and super-high action, either.

How low do you need it to be? It depends a lot on what it is you're playing.

I'm curious regarding guys who are super-fast on acoustic - Paco, John and Al for example - how light were their strings, and how low was their action?

And I think of Pat Martino, who on electric has an 0.15 for the high E and high action also. He says it's "just a state of mind" but other guitarists have said that they can't play his instrument! But he does it that way to get the clarity he wants.

Yo, I'm kind playing it classical style, sometimes using a thumbpick and using all my fingers except my pinky. It's a great song, and one that I'm determined to perfect ;)

Pier.

Originally posted by Braxat:

taking it back to the song mentioned( classical gas ), i take a look at it and decided to learn it ! ( not the edit by oscar lopez, but the original ) ... would you say its easier to finger pick it or to use a pic ? oO

yea thing is, have u listened to classical Soul by oscar lopez? its essentially the same thing but with a capo on ... i play it with fingers also ( or classical style as you say ) its alot easier for me to finger pick than pick, dont know why but it is =p

Archived