Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage GP

Chad Thorne

I came across a stack of GPs from 1986 - 1987 that I forgot I had. Looking through them is such a hoot! Talk about pointy-headstock guitar heaven! :D

Also some great interviews with people like Larry Carlton, Jeff Healey, John Abercrombie. Though I understand it's necessary I bemoan the fact that GP doesn't feature as many jazz players as it once did.

And who remembers Tommy Tedesco's and Teisco Del Rey's columns? Dan Erlewine's?

Ah, this evil nostalgia wave washing over me...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a great rag in the 70's and 80's. I had a box full of em at one time dating back to 1972.

Speaking of jazz and popularity, do you remember the time they featured Ted Nugent on the cover and Emily Remler wrote a letter to the editor saying she had figured out every solo on his new record in an hour and that they really shouldn't put amateur rock players on the cover? Now that was funny! I miss her.

Originally posted by Nathar:

It was a great rag in the 70's and 80's. I had a box full of em at one time dating back to 1972.

Speaking of jazz and popularity, do you remember the time they featured Ted Nugent on the cover and Emily Remler wrote a letter to the editor saying she had figured out every solo on his new record in an hour and that they really shouldn't put amateur rock players on the cover? Now that was funny! I miss her.

NO class at all! What a lame thing to do, pretty telling, you wouldn't see Tommy do that kind of thing.

I have copies of GP dating back to the late '70s - not a complete collection, and not all of it sterling condition. I was even dumb enough to cut out a few pages here and there, instead of copying them!

But there are a lot of great interviews and columns! In addition to the ones mentioned, I miss those by Howard Roberts and Ben Verdery, and "Hot Guitar" - I forget the author's name at the moment. Oh, and the ones by members of the Hellecasters!

One classic interview was with Julian Bream in the early '90s, where he said, "a musician is not a parrot, and a parrot is not a musician." And of course the "Unplugged" issue was great, and the "Songwriting Issue", and the "Unsung Heroes" one......

I miss those by Howard Roberts and Ben Verdery, and "Hot Guitar"

I think Hot Guitar was by Sal Salvador, but I'm not sure. I liked Tedesco's sense of humor. Every other month he'd tell of being on a job and being given the lead charts while Jay Graydon or Dean Parks or somebody would be given a rythm chart, and if Tom saw that it was a rock n rol tune he'd quickly swap the chart with the other guitarist and say, "Here, you play this sh*t."

There used to be a great story circulating where Howard Roberts was late for a job and for some reason didn't have his classical guitar in a case. He got caught in a thick downpour at a bus stop and when he walked into the studio the producer and the string orchestra were more than a little ticked at his extreme tardiness. Atop that, when he sat down to play, he noticed something making noise in his guitar. He turned it over and a ton of water spilled out onto the floor. Everybody let out a gasp. Then the chart they gave him with full of 16th and 32nd notes. He went on to nail it perfectly in one take, and the entire orchestra gave him a standing ovation, including the producer.

I have almost every issue since about mid 1978. I have lost a handfull maybe and missed a few. I really liked the magazine in the late 70's early 80's. Its more because the guitar was more at the front of music then than anything else. I am sure its hard to find popular groundbreaking guitarists these days to write about.

Archived