Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Russell's book LYDIAN CHROMATIC, etc., ....who has a copy?

D_dup3

George Russell's The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization for Improvisation.

I have recently found an old copy of the original book, which I've been looking for for quite a while. At $30 it seemed a bargain (new editions are over $100...& even that seems to be for only Vol.1 !).

Imagine my disappointment, once I began delving into it, to discover that this copy lacks some of the originally included materials.

Specifically these:

(1)the Lydian scale chart

(2)the "slide rule"

(3) "tonal gravity chart"

I have a good knowledge of theory & can follow the subject well but it has become clear that the precise connotations of some common terms have very specific meanings in Russell's conception & are not what they mean generally.

Even his use of the term Lydian (as a blanket term for treatments of scales/modes, not just as a reference to the usual Lydian mode) is a bit of a mystery.

When he starts invoking the other items such as the "Tonal Gravity chart" to explain what he's describing it becomes clear that the actual, precise intent of his tome is dependant on knowing exactly what these items show.

If you've read the book you'll know what I mean.

I've been playing for years & know enough not to expect that this book may present me with some secret skeleton key to musical mastery any more than other approaches but as many know it's a very well respected book and I do think it may have some distinct value that, unfortunately, seems lacking without knowing the exact derivation of the explanations he offers.

I've looked at some of the online sites that deal with Russell but I'm not trying to piece things together via other's interpretations of him any more than I want to use my own knowledge to try to plug the gaps which, again, aren't in understanding theory terms but in the precise method that he is describing.

Does anyone have a copy that they'd be willing to copy the above items from & forward to me?

If so please contact me either here in the thread or via PM & I'll provide an address.

BTW, I've already looked at the previous references I could draw up through the search function.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I remember taking a gander at that in music college. Pretty brainsplitting at the time. it would be neat to go into that now. Thanks for the remind.

Another book which is along the same lines but for guitarists is Ted Dunbar's Tonal Convergence Book which is basically an organized way to play outside

I have the book, and all the charts. Had it for years. Funny, I was just just going through it the other day. Truth be told I never utilized the charts much, just took what I wanted scale wise out of the book.

The Lydian Auxilliary Diminished Blues scale is my favorite go to outside scale. And the Lydian Auxilliary Augmented Scale. Big fancy names for Half/Whole and Whole Tone. Anyway, I will be glad to hook you up if you want, if you can deal with being patient, I have a crazy schedule, up at 5am and sometimes home after 7pm so getting to a post office is not easy and I don't have a scanner.

While I apprecciate the effort GG put into the lesson in rote learning ;) , as mentioned my interest lies in being certain I understand the methodology of Russell's approach, which does seem to me dependent on the materials that didn't accompany the copy I have.

The book is generally out of print although expensive limited editions are brought out sometimes. [check at georgerussell.com or lydian chromatic concept ]

Those who've read my posts know that I myself try to avoid memorizing the more abtruse approaches to theory & prefer dealing with music as an aural art but seeing things from someone else's perspective can be illuminating too...& I'm while I can read the end results of his lessons in the book already, it seems the way he derives them requires the lost items.

Thanks & I'll be in touch, FunkyFingers, watchc your PM box!

Originally posted by d:

While I apprecciate the effort GG put into the lesson in rote learning ;) , as mentioned my interest lies in being certain I understand the methodology of Russell's approach, which does seem to me dependent on the materials that didn't accompany the copy I have.

The book is generally out of print although expensive limited editions are brought out sometimes. [check at georgerussell.com or lydian chromatic concept ]

Those who've read my posts know that I myself try to avoid memorizing the more abtruse approaches to theory & prefer dealing with music as an aural art but seeing things from someone else's perspective can be illuminating too...& I'm while I can read the end results of his lessons in the book already, it seems the way he derives them requires the lost items.

Thanks & I'll be in touch, FunkyFingers, watchc your PM box!

Sorry about the multiple posts! I had no idea.I have all the charts and can copy them, I have to locate the book in my storage.Let me know if you still need them.

Archived