Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tele experts please

Darklava

Whats the diff between brass and the chrome saddles? I just picked up a highway Tele

from GC and this thing has the great tele squak

chirp or what ever you call it.Should I go brass?

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure - I like brass, as you know, but I believe it's more mellow than chrome, so maybe you'd be better leaving it as it is.

Second thoughts - aren't the saddles just brass covered in chrome anyway?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

The Telecaster was originally called the Broadcaster. Unfortunately, at the time Gretsch sold a drum kit that already went by that name, so they made Leo Fender change his new 2-pickup guitar's name. Until they settled on the "Telecaster" name, the company applied old Broadcaster decals to the headstock that only had the "Fender" logo on them (ingeniously, they just cut off the offending "Broadcaster" name). These guitars that just have the logo and no Telecaster, Broadcaster, or Esquire monikers are now often referred to as the "No-caster" line.

My saddles are somewhat between black and rust.

I'm presently looking for the ashtray, which did get used that way once or twice.

Do the retro-repro teles have an ashtray?

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

Well here is another question for Tele experts.

Why is it called a Telecaster, or how did it get this name?

I also believe that the "Tele-" part of the name came from "Telstar", an early satellite. As with the later model "Stratocaster", I think Leo (or somebody) wanted to give these guitars space age-y names.

Oh, and about saddles, chrome for maximum twang. BTW, I love Teles but despise vintage 3-piece saddles. We have the technology to creat a Tele that can be intonated, why not use it?

Originally posted by Paddy O'Furniture:

I also believe that the "Tele-" part of the name came from "Telstar", an early satellite. As with the later model "Stratocaster", I think Leo (or somebody) wanted to give these guitars space age-y names.

Nah, Telecasters came out about 10 years prior to Telstar.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Oh, and about saddles, chrome for maximum twang. BTW, I love Teles but despise vintage 3-piece saddles. We have the technology to creat a Tele that can be intonated, why not use it?

two strings bearing down on one saddle is one of the keys to vintage tone. and you can get compensated saddles for three saddle teles. they are angled for better intonation.

oh yeah Darklava, nice score dude. you didn't sell anything did you?

Originally posted by GuitArthur Guinness:

two strings bearing down on one saddle is one of the keys to vintage tone. and you can get compensated saddles for three saddle teles. they are angled for better intonation.

oh yeah Darklava, nice score dude. you didn't sell anything did you?

Nope!GC 1yr same as cash...wish someone would buy my Sg :P
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Michael Aloysius O'Picker:

Nah, Telecasters came out about 10 years prior to Telstar.
Well, there ya go, apparently I don't know it all...So how did the Tele get its name? "Strato" from "stratosphere" seems obvious, and "caster" from "Broadcaster", but "Tele"?

I suggest you visit the Callaham guitar parts site at www.callahamguitars.com. They make high quality aftermarket bridge parts for Strats and Teles and offer both a brass and stainless steel version of Tele saddles and they discuss the tonal differences.

I'm really a Strat man so I cannot comment personally so I suggest you check out their site. I did recently order one of their machined steel fulcrm blocks for my Strat Plus model and am awaiting its arrival - it is supposed to give much better tone and sustain than the stock Fender blocks made of either a cheaper steel with sound deadening lead alloyed with it, or a pot metal zinc block.

Wilkinson does a set of brass offset compensated saddles for a 3 saddle Tele - they work pretty well. Not perfect, but better than stock.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by Lancer:

I suggest you visit the Callaham guitar parts site at www.callahamguitars.com. They make high quality aftermarket bridge parts for Strats and Teles and offer both a brass and stainless steel version of Tele saddles and they discuss the tonal differences.

I'm really a Strat man so I cannot comment personally so I suggest you check out their site. I did recently order one of their machined steel fulcrm blocks for my Strat Plus model and am awaiting its arrival - it is supposed to give much better tone and sustain than the stock Fender blocks made of either a cheaper steel with sound deadening lead alloyed with it, or a pot metal zinc block.

I have a bloody great brass block on the FrankenStrat and I'm 100% sure it contributes greatly to the sustain. It is so big there is hardly any room for movement on the trem, but I block it anyway, so I'm not worried. I also have a brass nut on it.

I have brass stuff for sale in the Sales & Spam thread. (hint hint)

G.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/bplate2.jpg

Callaham Base Plate for single coil Strat Bridge Pickups boosts the lows and the mid range frequencies giving a fatter wider sound. I recommend adding a base plate to existing instruments. Installation instructions included.

I like this for my strat

I have a set of 3 compensated brass saddles on my '71 tele and they are totally the way to go IMHO. You can get expensive ones from Callaham, Wilkinson (which are adjustable) and Vintique. Mine were $11 from Stew-Mac a few years back. Now they cost $14. I can play chords past the 12th fret without any bum notes.

Stew Mac compensated saddles

Steel saddles sound a little brittle to me. Maybe a little too piercing and thin. I don't know that anyone makes compensated 3-piece steel saddles. The brass attenuates some of the highs which I think is a good thing. I still have treble to spare.

The modern 6-saddle American Standard bridges don't sound as good to me. The Teles I've tried with those bridges all had a little less sustain. But that may have been just those few guitars.

Whatever you do, DON'T get the 6-saddle bridges with the small steel barrels. Like this one:

http://www.fake58.co.uk/images/TB_0033-001-6%20vintage%206%20saddle.jpg

They suck. I had one on my tele for years and it had way less sustain and punch - made the Tele sound like a 2-pickup Strat. Going back to the 3-saddle bridge was a revalation.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

...I have a bloody great brass block on the FrankenStrat and I'm 100% sure it contributes greatly to the sustain. ...G.
If you like that, try sticking a Fat Finger on the headstock. (I think that is what they are called, it is a Groove Tube block of brass for the headstock.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I think maybe the Telecaster name came about as a logical variation of Broadcaster. A television broadcast, which were fairly nascent at the time of the debut of the broadcaster, is also called a telecast. I dunno, but that's the best I can come up with.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

...I have a bloody great brass block on the FrankenStrat and I'm 100% sure it contributes greatly to the sustain. ...G.
If you like that, try sticking a Fat Finger on the headstock. (I think that is what they are called, it is a Groove Tube block of brass for the headstock.)

Bill

I'll need to look into that.

G.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Anyone know if there is a differnce between the brass or chrome-paltes brass versions of the Fat Finger?

I think one' yellowish & the other's silverish.

:D

G.

Archived