Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: last 8-track cartridge purchased

Hardtail

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by HardTail:

Ok, let's really expose the graybeards on the forum. What was the last 8-track you bought.

For me, I think it was Kiss Alive II.

Oh, I thought you meant 8-track player. Mine was a Craig Powerplay floor mount which I mounted on the hump of my '68 Mustang between the seats. I have no idea what the last music 8-track was that I bought.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by WornNeck:

I was Houses of the Holy. It was a pain to try to learn songs off those things. No rewind!

Definitely! LPs weren't much better. I don't know how many times I scratched one trying to get the needle just right on a riff.

Cassettes were much better. I wore the damned things out but at least I could rewind them.

The last 8-tracks I bought were actually blank - They came with a 8-track player I found at a pawn shop that you could record with... It was a pain in the keester getting the timing right but I recorded my college band's demo on to 8-tracks and put 'em up for sale at shows. This was 1996 or so - I thought it was hysterical, no one else got it.
Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

My Dad (70 something), still has a working 8-Track player and plenty of tapes to play in it.

What I really loved about 8 tracks, you never had to rewind or flip them over, the label was easy to read (you didn't get dizzy spinning you head around trying to read what was playing), you could read the label while it was in the machine, you never had to find the case it went in, you didn't have to turn off the annoying dolby noise reduction.

I bought Led Zeppelin III at a garage sale sometime around 1986/87! My dad wore out about 2 copies of Hotel California when I was a kid. Whenever I hear any song from that record, it brings back memories of growing up.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Probably some Pat Metheny I found in the bargain bin at Woolworth's in the early 80s....for 99 cents.

I only bought 8-Tracks (and only for cheap)because somebody gave me a player for free in the early 80s. Otherwise, I would only buy LPs.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I think my first 8 track was Kiss Destroyer. Or Aerosmith's first album. Or Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon. I remember having to jam a matchbook in the slot to keep the tape playing correctly. Anyone else have to jam a matchbook in their 8 track player so the tape would play? And god forbid if the tape wrapped around the capstan grrrr.

Originally posted by motor city rocker:

I think my first 8 track was Kiss Destroyer. Or Aerosmith's first album. Or Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon. I remember having to jam a matchbook in the slot to keep the tape playing correctly. Anyone else have to jam a matchbook in their 8 track player so the tape would play? And god forbid if the tape wrapped around the capstan grrrr.

Hey, I remember that trick. I had to do it because the tape head would get out of alignment. Sometimes it would get so bad that it would play one side from one song and the other side from whatever song was on the next "track" at the same place on the tape. Now, _that_ sounded weird. Fortunately the "better" 8 track players would let you adjust the head to get it back into alignment.

You also had to beware tapes that had gotten a little too warm in the car. The tape would get sticky and get wrapped around the capstan. I used to have to pull my old Craig tape player out, take it apart and get all the gook off the capstan. Seems like that happened about once a month.

The _oldest_ 8 track tape I had was a Frijid Pink one (the one with House of the Rising Sun on it) that I got from one of my cousins. I think I got that one in 1970. I used to have one of those Panasonic 8-Track players that looked like a dynamite plunger. (my mom still has it in their storage room with about 20 tapes -- I'm going to give it to my first grand child).

I was _so_ glad when cassettes became popular. :D

Born on the Bayou

Mine was an Elvis, which I STILL have that I got at a yard sale many moons ago along with The Cars.

I still remember purchasing my first though- AC/DC "Back In Black", the #1 rock album of all time IMHO. :cool:

God Bless :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by HardTail:

Ok, let's really expose the graybeards on the forum. What was the last 8-track you bought.

For me, I think it was Kiss Alive II.

I THINK it was Hotel California by the eagles...wore out THREE 8 track tapes of that album!

Believe I had Hotel California and maybe a James Gang tape too. Only had one 8 track player and not for long. Anybody out there ever have, or know somebody who had a record player in their car? That was an option on some of the top end cars in the early sixties. Never saw one myself.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Archived