Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Number of frets and scale length?

hamburglar

Hello all... some of you probably get tired of questions like this but review sites were offering me no help.. I may be looking to add a guitar to my arsenal and I was considering a faded V or a fender showmaster.. my quesion deals with the scale length and frets of the fender.. it has more frets and a longer scale so I was wondering how that affects the tone if at all.. Im still a bit new at all this so I would appreciate the help...

and of course any impressions of these two guitars is always welcome or if you have any suggestions on guitars with I guess "hotter" sounding pickups.. Im planning on trying them both if they are available in my area, however, the showmaster is at the very top of my price range at $629...

Eat a Peach for Peace..........

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by hamburglar:

Hello all... some of you probably get tired of questions like this but review sites were offering me no help.. I may be looking to add a guitar to my arsenal and I was considering a faded V or a fender showmaster.. my quesion deals with the scale length and frets of the fender.. it has more frets and a longer scale so I was wondering how that affects the tone if at all.. Im still a bit new at all this so I would appreciate the help...

and of course any impressions of these two guitars is always welcome or if you have any suggestions on guitars with I guess "hotter" sounding pickups.. Im planning on trying them both if they are available in my area, however, the showmaster is at the very top of my price range at $629...

The effects of scale length on tone have been discussed ad nausiam. It's pretty simple, longer scale length = higher string tension = brighter, twangier sound. Shorter scale length = lower string tension = darker, warmer tone. The number of frets on an instrument doesn't have a direct effect on tone, but the number of frets can limit the location of your neck pickups ... which affects tone (e.g. the PRS 22 and 24 fret instruments have neck pickups located at different harmonic points).

thanks for the reply.. I read on my searches through the forum that the longer scale gives a better low register sound so I guess thats why Im confused... does a better low register go hand in hand with a brighter overall sound?

The difference in scale length shouldn't concern a novice. Yes, there are subtleties that won't be apparent to an inexperienced ear or sense of touch. If ya like a Stratty sound, go for the longer length. Both guitars you're considering have potential. The V should appreciate in value somewhat better than the Showmaster because it is based on a collector piece, and it's US made.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

i like the V, but i wish Gibson didn't put the big ugly (imho) pickguard on it. i prefer the older style with the string through and smaller pickguard.

like the 59 Korina V...schwing!!!!

oh yeah baby!!!!!

also i like the flat area where the neck hits the body over the later style of a more tapered neck body joint.

but that is just me. carry on :rolleyes:

thanks again for the replies... I really appreciate them.. again I apologize for being an irritating newbie..sound advice Bluesape.. thanks.. I was leaning towards to V and I noticed that epiphone has a korina V similar to the one pictured but I wasnt to sure about getting an epi....

Archived