Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

marshall combo's - which one to get?

SF audio

I'm in the market for a 2X12 marshall - There's JCM 800's, 900's, TSL's (which seem unreliable and problematic) and maybe some others I don't know about.

Which ones have the reputation for being the one to get? Certain model and/or time period?

thanks

The thoughts expressed in this post are the opinions of SF audio and MAY be used or misquoted anywhere you want, either in print,on the internet, or on the bathroom walls....

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My neighbor has a JCM 800 I believe (it may be a 900, not sure) that sounds pretty darn good through the walls :-) Definitly packs a lot of punch! He says he loves it. (He says he can't play it on higher than 5, and most of the time you can hear him throughout the whoe apartment complex, and I'm talking outside a couple hundred yards away; maybe a hundred when his window is closed)

I have a Valvestate which I always had good fortune with, and you can find good tone if you work with it and throw a couple pedals in there. The JCM's are out of my range at the moment, but I know they are pretty nice.

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

I have a TSL 122...I kinda like it. But I agree a 2x12 is the one to get. The TSL has sort of a semi-closed back...which to my ear sounds preferable to an open back cab. I had an old 50 watt open back 1x12...never quite sounded "right" to my ear.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

My good buddy has a Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue and after playing it, I have to have one! Someday. :) I like old school amps for the most part, I'd be interested in the JTM's...

The BBRI is an amazing amp, it has a very honest and woody sound. I'd rather have a great one channel amp than a multiple channel amp that has anything less than the goods.

Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Archived