Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marshall Plexi - SRZ65 - THD 4x12

myles_rose

This may be of interest to some folks ....

This is Carl Verheyen on 3/10/06 testing the SRZ-65. We had been looking for a replacement for his plexi Marshalls which were getting to be too valuable for road work and the SRZ-65 nailed it. He we were comparing the best of his 50 watt Plexis in a direct A/B comparison using the THD 4x12 in split mode (the cab does stereo or mono). GREAT cab by the way! On the right thumbnail is another of my crummy little movies (and I had no lights so it is a bit worse) but may be a bit of fun.

Carl used his 56 Strat and a Korina flying V. Both were quite amazing with the SRZ-65. With the volume all the way up (so it was effectively a non-master amp) we duplicated the tone of the Marshall. The tone controls and presence were MUCH more effective than the Plexi and the master volume was just more icing on the cake. The amp stacked harmonics at least 2 -3 levels deeper than the Marshall JTM-50. Output tube compliment was the same in both amps.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/Carl_031006_001.jpg

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/Carl_031006_003.jpg

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/Carl_031006_005.jpg

and .....

my little movie clip including poor sound quality, bad camera composition, poor lighting.....

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/files/Carl_031006_006.avi

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

Very cool

Bill

You have a great rig there. I am a total fan of the Les Paul Deluxe with the smaller humbuckers ...

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

You have a great rig there. I am a total fan of the Les Paul Deluxe with the smaller humbuckers ...
Well, part of it is due to your recomendation. (And I thank you... graet call.)

I read a quote from Les Paul in which he says the small humbuckers are the best. I cut my teeth on a '57 LP with P-90s, but the electric guitars that I play most are a Lucky Strike Gibson 336 with Duncan Fat Cat P-90s, and a custom made Pellow. But there are times when the LPs are just the right feel.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can say my LP with the mini's are the best, I can say depending on the amp/cabinet I'm using on certain songs it is the best compared to my LP's with the full sized Hmbuggers. I KNOW I like the Deluxe mini's on Allman Bros. material allot more than the LPCustom. Also the mini's sound better through my Fender Pro Amp than the larger HB's.

Originally posted by YzeCounsel:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Ya got me thinkin' myles. That certainly nails the punch and clarity of a plexi

It looks like it's gonna be a battle for me between the Allessandro Working Dog and the SRZ.

Actually you have a dilemma on you hands .... the classic battle of picking between Marshall and Fender.

The Working Dog is a GREAT Fender Black face sort of amp.

The easy solution can be solved by tossing money at the problem ... one of each :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Ya got me thinkin' myles. That certainly nails the punch and clarity of a plexi

It looks like it's gonna be a battle for me between the Allessandro Working Dog and the SRZ.

Actually you have a dilemma on you hands .... the classic battle of picking between Marshall and Fender.

The easy solution can be solved by tossing money at the problem ... one of each :)

This is where I'm at, and I ain't window shoppin' or tire kickin'.

I just bought a two Rock emerald 50 combo, and I am floored at the gain section and the clean section. I am quite satisfied w/my killer crunch and tight, punchy cleans.

I knew this going into the deal, that two Rocks just don't get that "in-between". I want that semi-clean/semi-dirty break-up. at club volumes and it seems like the SRZ and the allesandro can do both, but differently.

Originally posted by Bbach O'Toole:

Nice post Miles. Yea that THD is a nice cab isn't it? Wish my freakin music room wasn't so tiny. I would so love a 4x12. It's a bit too much for this gig tho.

Well, I've go the two 12, and it is very small. (look at the picture, and compare it to the size of the guitars....)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

Along the idea of one of each, what about the 6545?

Bill

Bill,

The 6545 would be a killer ... it is the SRZ-65 and a KT-45 ... one of the few PTP hand built channel switching amps available today.

There are probably less than 5 folks that make PTP channel switchers.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

This is where I'm at, and I ain't window shoppin' or tire kickin'.

I just bought a two Rock emerald 50 combo, and I am floored at the gain section and the clean section. I am quite satisfied w/my killer crunch and tight, punchy cleans.

I knew this going into the deal, that two Rocks just don't get that "in-between". I want that semi-clean/semi-dirty break-up. at club volumes and it seems like the SRZ and the allesandro can do both, but differently.

The SRZ and Allesandro are completly different amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Bbach O'Toole:

Nice post Miles. Yea that THD is a nice cab isn't it? Wish my freakin music room wasn't so tiny. I would so love a 4x12. It's a bit too much for this gig tho.

I love their 2x12 and the 4x12 is also great. Different cabs... each with their own great points.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Yeah my singer is looking at getting a 65/45. Seems like the best solution for a rock player.

It a Marshall on the 65 side but on the 45 side it can be Fender clean (even with the EL34's) and also Vox AC-50 and Hiwatt on the 45 side too ... depending on where the levels on the three controls are set. The 45 side is also quite amazing with ANY pedal. The 65 side is just like a good Marshall would be with pedals which is not as nice as the 45 side but the EF86 front end Z amps )Z-28, Route 66, KT-45, and Delta 88) are probably the most pedal friendly amps every put on the market short of the S-45 which is no longer made which was designed specifically for use with pedals from the start.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I just don't like the sound of OD or distortion pedals--they just never sound the same as if the amp is on 10 and it is all natural. You know, I haven't experimented that much. SO I am probably wrong. Maybe there is something else out there that I would like.

My singer is going to buy an airbrake with his 65/45 so he can drive the power section harder on the Marshall side.

I can't wait to play through this amp and compare it to my Bivalve--he is also getting the Z best! The sound clips from it sound great and Dave Grisham is a monster player.

I hope our tones mix well. He is using a Taylor T5 guitar. Like you were saying about using all teh same tones (i think you were talking about a band where every guitarist had the same high gain tone and live they blended and cancelled out ech other)

We are trying to get a big guitar sound with 3 guitars. This may seem easy but it is harder becuase you have to be more dynamic and you cant over play or use too much distortion or it just sounds jumbled.

Hey Myles, I just don't like the sound of OD or distortion pedals--they just never sound the same as if the amp is on 10 and it is all natural. You know, I haven't experimented that much. SO I am probably wrong. Maybe there is something else out there that I would like.

My singer is going to buy an airbrake with his 65/45 so he can drive the power section harder on the Marshall side.

I can't wait to play through this amp and compare it to my Bivalve--he is also getting the Z best! The sound clips from it sound great and Dave Grisham is a monster player.

I hope our tones mix well. He is using a Taylor T5 guitar. Like you were saying about using all teh same tones (i think you were talking about a band where every guitarist had the same high gain tone and live they blended and cancelled out ech other)

We are trying to get a big guitar sound with 3 guitars. This may seem easy but it is harder becuase you have to be more dynamic and you cant over play or use too much distortion or it just sounds jumbled.

You need three very different guitars and a proper mix.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

{CLIPPED}

You need three very different guitars and a proper mix.
I read an article on Aerosmith and when one dude plays a gibson, the other dude plays a strat

Yeah, well right now Museiip is playing a Strat through a Fender Deluxe. Zack is playing acoustic or his T5 through a VHT pitbull 45. I am playing my double coiled guitar through a THD Bivalve. The goal certainly is to make sure someone is playing acoustic at all time to add a diffrent texture to the mix. But this combined with orchestrated sometimes simple parts makes us sound HUGE with three part harmony vocals. We are still perfecting it.

Like john suggested that I don't play anything for like 2 choruses on one song but just throw in some subtle licks here and there that follow the vocals. Then when the 3rd chorus kicks in I come in and make it fatter. PLaying different parts is also key. The Eagles seem to do this probably better than anyone. We are not the Eagles!! BUt we are workin on it.

Whatever, back to the Dr.Z amp.

I am looking forward to plugging that Dr. Z in and jamming through it. I hope I don't sound like a mosquito next to it with my THD!

If you think a Plexi Marshall sounds like an insect next to your amp then I'd check your hearing :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

No I meant my THD. You think it will sound small? Both through Zbest cabs? I maybe didn't make myself clear. Are you saying that my THD will sound small comparedly even with say KT88's?

The THD BiValve will sound quite big with KT88s but it will not sound like a Marshall which is not good or bad ... just different. Very different front ends and grid biased vs cathode biased and the Bivalve is about 30 watts even with KT88s in it while the Marshall 50 watters and SRZ-65 are over two times that wattage.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Patrick O'funkjazz McGillicuddy:

cool vid, thanks myles :thu:

You are welcome.

Sorry it was too short and too dark.

Myles S. Rose