Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SG or Les Paul

monkey-boy

In search of opinions:

I an in the market for a new guitar and am debating between the Epiphone Vintage SG and the Epiphone '56 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue.

Obviously different guitars, but the pickups are a even bigger difference, the LP has P90s, the SG Humbuckers. Have always wanted both a goldtop and an SG so....

Looking for a guitar with good rock tones, think Social Distortion etc...

FYI, I currently play through a '92 American Strat set up stock, and I love the clean to slightly broken up tones but once I try for more overdriven sounds it just doesn't seem right...

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmnn, close call; have you tried both guitars out?

Have you ever played a guitar with P-90 style single-coils?

(I'm assuming that you probably have played a humbucker-equipped axe before.)

I'm gonna recommend that you go with the Epiphone '56 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue, partly because of your Social Distortion reference, and those P-90 "soapbars"; though you probably wouldn't go wrong with the Epi' Vintage SG with humbuckers, either...

Immediately put a set of Dunlop Straploks on that Goldtop RI, along with a wide, comfy strap; you'll never regret it.

And put a set of DR "Pure Blues" (warmer) or DR "Tight-Fit" (a little brighter) round-core .011" through .050" strings on there, and have it set-up for 'em! I use that Pure Blues set on my Les Pauls, one with humbuckers and one with P-90s, and they're the most perfect match for a Les Paul that I've found.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My recommendation is the opposite. I think you will enjoy the humbuckers for your rock tones more than the P90's. However, you might think about picking up a different amp. Bear in mind that this is just personal opinion and I sure don't want to offend the Fender amp owners out there who exist in these incredibly huge masses, but I find Fender great for clean and not so super fantastic for crunch. Obviously there are about a zillion people who might disagree with me. Just what my ears like I guess. You want crunch to die for? Try Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Genz-Benz with a 2x12 cab. Whoooo.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Bbach- I'm not being sarcastic here- what'd I miss about his having a Fender amp? If I'm clueless and missed something, fill me in...

And, while I know what you're saying about humbuckers in general and "rock" tones, he's cited Social Distortion as a tonal influence- where I believe (maybe I'm wrong) P-90 equipped Lesters have played a part in their signature-sounds. And I've found that I can get a lot of good chunk and overdrive and distortion with my own "soapbars", as well as classic R&B, Reggae, Blues, Jazz, Rockablly, and rootsy sounds; they're about as versatile a pickup as I've come across. They seem capable of handling anything I can throw at 'em, except badly wired AC power and neon and fans... >HUMMMMM<... !! :cry:

Originally posted by Bbach O'Toole:

My recommendation is the opposite. I think you will enjoy the humbuckers for your rock tones more than the P90's. However, you might think about picking up a different amp. Bear in mind that this is just personal opinion and I sure don't want to offend the Fender amp owners out there who exist in these incredibly huge masses, but I find Fender great for clean and not so super fantastic for crunch. Obviously there are about a zillion people who might disagree with me. Just what my ears like I guess. You want crunch to die for? Try Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Genz-Benz with a 2x12 cab. Whoooo.

Not to disagree, but you just recommended several high end amps to a guy looking at Epis instead of Gibbys prolly due to budgetary considerations. Any of these amps is worthy of the real deal guitar, else the price isn't justified. :confused:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

p90s can and do crunch very well.

the Vintage epi sg's are nice as well. you really have to try them out. seeing you have problems with the tone of your fender single coils, you may not like P90's seeing they are still a single coil in design. i know you want to get Social Distortion sounds. remember there is more than just p90's giving him his tone.

strings

technique

amp

studio ( makes a diff)

etc

even though P90's are way bigger and fatter than fender pickups, they still have a certain single coil sound.

i am not trying to knock P90's but you do have to check them out yourself.

i love them, but i am not you.

Gibson does make a faded series of guitars and they have a p90 loaded model that may be in your price range. unless the gold top is your main desire.

you do have to determine what the main thing is you want.

body style is one thing that will fade if you are not getting the tones you want.

i am just beating around the bush to make sure you think really hard. nothing worse than buying the wrong guitar.

Thanks for the input.

Let me say I have no desire to sound just like Social D. I just used the general sound as an example...They have a better balance of clean vs. distortion than most (imho)

I used to have a Epi LP standard a few years back but the sound just didn't do it for me. That had humbuckers on it...but each guitar has its own sound...

I know that part of the sound I am looking for needs to come from my amp, at the moment I am playing a Valve Junior Tube amp. I don't have any place to be loud enough for most of the amps listed...I am planning on building a Firefly from Ax84.com soon.

I can't deny that another part of my reason for looking at the goldtop is its looks, just looks like rock and roll.....

Guess I'll be spending some time in the guitar store tomorrow.

Originally posted by monkey-boy:

"Guess I'll be spending some time in the guitar store tomorrow."

Hey, be sure to come back here and let us know what you think; keep us posted!

Went and played the Epiphone Goldtop w/ P90s and the Epiphone G-400 SG (Not the vintage as the store didn't have any).

Both were nice guitars, and in the end I left with nothing....they both sounded good different but good. Same for feel the LP was more familar, but the SG was nice too.....damn.

In the end I decided to look more at my amp sound for the moment. As they both sounded Great through a Mesa Solo Head...loved the sound and even sounded good at pretty low volumes.

Anyone have an suggestions for Mesa tone w/o a 100 watt head? A little cheaper would also be good..

Thanks to all for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I decided to get the goldtop!

It arrived today and I love it, I still have to work out the sound a little but just on feel and how it plays, I love it.

Is the neck on the Goldtop different than standard LPs it feels better.

Archived