Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss ME-50

Rampdog

I need opinions on the Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal. Is it worth the 300 bucks or is there a another manufacturer I should go with? I know the reputation of Boss and I like the expression pedal that comes with the ME-50. Help, guidance, and direction is what I need.

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rampdog:

I need opinions on the Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal. Is it worth the 300 bucks or is there a another manufacturer I should go with? I know the reputation of Boss and I like the expression pedal that comes with the ME-50. Help, guidance, and direction is what I need.

Thanks

IIRC correctly, GP reviewed it a few years ago. Either this box or some very similar Boss Multi FX.

I **think** GP had some positive comments but they remarked that the unit doesn't let you assign names to your patches so instead of having a bunch of user friendly, descriptive names, you have to remember that "5" is that mega distortion patch and that "6" is that funny Steve Lukather sound.

I've demo'd one and for a digital effects pedal, they are great. I do prefer analog and tend to buy my effects pedals seperately. The exception is an EH Memory Man Deluxe for delay. I've also found that it's a lot easier to stomp on the fly with stand alone units. Just my personal preference. The other thing I've found is that I end up only using a couple effects. I use delay and wouldn't mind adding some compression for rockabilly. My amp provides the distortion and reverb and all the other things just collect dust.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

That unit's come up in discussion here a few times before; here are a mere trio of related threads for ya (do a search, there're lots more!)...

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif "GRRR!! Sometimes it sucks to be a vintage snob..."

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif "Boss ME-50 plus external wah-wah: Any help please ?"

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif "Female needs help with ME-50 !"

Try one, and tell us what you think, 'dog! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Good point Kramer...I wasn't aware of the innability to assign names instead of numbers and I sure know there is alot in there that I'll never use. I have a Peavey Classic 30 and I was trying to find sounds and tones without having to crank it. The ME-50 seems very versitile but is there another 'all in one' pedal that is cheaper but can get alot of the same tones. I'm making a run to the music store today and I want to demo some but don't really know which ones to ask for without them trying to make their nut on my sale today.

Thanks

Caev...I went through those three threads you posted...Damn...I feel a bit more enlightened but confused at the same time. I guess it's possible to cloud something very easily by adding, adding, adding till you have a floor full of small metal boxes that are gathering dust. I'll just keep reading the threads in here and when I get the chance demo stuff. The trip to the music store is off now. I think I was being hasty. Thanks.

Originally posted by Bbach of Bismarck:

"I do prefer analog and tend to buy my effects pedals seperately. The exception is an EH Memory Man Deluxe for delay."

Do you mean that the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man pedal is an exception to your preference for separate, analog pedals (you don't like it), or... what?

I'm just not sure what you're saying, and just curious about any likes and/or dislikes for the EH DMM that you may have! (I'm not being critical of your wording.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I use one of these live- it has it's limitation-but it works for me-

my biggest complaint is that you can't easily change parameters in program mode on the fly-

the Compressor leaves alot to be desired, but the distortions, modulations,and the delays work for me- I don't ususally use the program mode, except for a few certain songs.

Now that the GT-8 is out, the older GT-6 has been selling at the same price as the ME-50- I think I'd get one of those if I were shopping for a low priced unit.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

When you are comparing the ME-50 against all other multi effects pedals be sure to qualify that this is designed specifically for those who prefer knobs over switches and little display windows and those others you are looking at most likely are not built this way.

It is marketed at players who want a multi effect they configure with their hands not their feet.

This may be a limitation that sets this model apart from all others you are considering.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I like it, but also find it overpriced. My Zoom has way more on it than I'll ever use, and it's half the price. Like any unit, some time must be invested to suss out the cream from the crap. If I'd only taken a cursory look at mine at first, I would have dismissed it as cheap plastic junk, but something about it, and what I'd heard from other users, made me look deeper. If I need to replace it down the road, I'll certainly look at everything available within a reasonable price, but could could easily upgrade to another Zoom unit, unless I find something out there that really surprises me.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I recently bought one.

Sounds=good, 22 different types of authentic sounding overdrive/distortion... what more can i say.. Ok... delay settings are quite good, chorus etc etc sounds nice (imo nicer than a POD for instance)

Presets=OK... i wiped most of the factory ones, if you cant remember numbers then u need to go back to school.

Expression pedal=Big pile of crap, makes a nice volume pedal ;) Keep your cry baby for wah:)

Value for money=Paid £150GBP, OK for the dough

Bottom line= If you like tweaking knobs buy one of these, if you like scrolling thru poxy bloomin digital menus buy something else. I love the ME-50, but i dont think it would last much gigging as the foot switches are plastic and so is the expression pedal... Im waiting for the day when i accidently kick/drop it and the pedal brakes off... but its probably just me being paranoid.

Caevan...for one thing, I would like just one pedal instead of three or four I use. I have a Boss CS-3, and Ibanez DE-7, and DOD Ice Box 64 chorus. I get good sound through these when the amp is cranked a bit. I have a Fender G-DEC that gets some great tones to it (through the headphones) most of the sustain and distort are crap in the G-DEC but one setting on the G-DEC is the Accoustic setting. It is sooo damn tight and clean I cant really get that with the Peavey Classic 30. The fender has a nice delay to it also. Nice Chorus, Flange, echo. Occasionally I like to get weird and try different things effects wise and I want to do it through the Peavey. Reif swears by his Zoom and they have the new models out now. Half the price of the ME-50. But I'm sure there is a shitload of stuff in there I'll never use. That's pretty much it. Throw some ideas my way if possible.

Thanks

Billy

Originally posted by Rampdog:

Caevan...for one thing, I would like just one pedal instead of three or four I use. I have a Boss CS-3, and Ibanez DE-7, and DOD Ice Box 64 chorus. I get good sound through these when the amp is cranked a bit. I have a Fender G-DEC that gets some great tones to it (through the headphones) most of the sustain and distort are crap in the G-DEC but one setting on the G-DEC is the Accoustic setting. It is sooo damn tight and clean I cant really get that with the Peavey Classic 30. The fender has a nice delay to it also. Nice Chorus, Flange, echo. Occasionally I like to get weird and try different things effects wise and I want to do it through the Peavey. Reif swears by his Zoom and they have the new models out now. Half the price of the ME-50. But I'm sure there is a shitload of stuff in there I'll never use. That's pretty much it. Throw some ideas my way if possible.

Thanks

Billy

Check around Ebay for a used ME-50. I've seen them go for $150-$175 used. If you are looking for the functionality and simplicity of pedals, then the ME-50 is the way to go.

My only complaint with mine is that the "Tone Modify" section is useless in its current form. It should have EQ sliders instead of presets.

like marvar said you can get a gt-6 for $300 new now. go for that instead, the gt-6 destroys it in everything EXCEPT the number of effects you can use at once. The gt-6 works like this:

Preamp/speaker --> Overdrive/distortion --> Delay --> Chorus --> Reverb --> Wah --> Extra EQ --> FX Bank 1 (9 different effects)--> FX Bank 2(16 different effects)

now not nessicarly in that order, you can switch the order og the signal chain however you want, thats just to kinda tell you the different sections. Each one of those sections can be running at the same time. But you cant run more than one effect from each bank at the same time. Thats its only downside, though ive never seen it as much of a problem.

With the ME im pretty sure every effect is individual and you can stack more on top of each other. But the ME has less featurs.

The GT-6 takes a little time to adjust to, but it is a tweakers dream compared to the ME. Pretty much everything is editable...levels, times, sounds....you name it, and that applys for any effect, overdive, preamp, speaker..wah...etc....

I think the ME is more of, turn a dial to a setting and thats all you get. Ive never used it though and this may be better for some.

ryan

Originally posted by NaotaForHonesty:

I think the ME is more of, turn a dial to a setting and thats all you get. Ive never used it though and this may be better for some.

ryan

Im not sure what you mean by that... But i think you mean it is limited. In actual fact the ME-50 is one of the most versatile 'tweakable' multi effects units i have ever used. For all the pedals it models you have full functionality as if you had the actual pedals. It isnt a unit that would be any good for a preset monkey. The things got more knobs than a bukkake movie.

Check it out

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/luc.chevolleau/Boss%20ME-50%202.jpg

like i said, ive never used it, just have seen pictures and read reviews.

Can you stack effects from the modulation on top of each other? I thought i read that that was an improvement over the gt-6 but it doesnt look like you can to me.

But anyways, i wasnt saying the ME was a bad unit or that you couldnt adjust anything, but i just think the gt-6 is more tweakable and more exact. NAvigating digital menus can suck though and knobs can sometimes be better.

Well.... really its a bit of a confusing con i think.... They class some of the delay settings and some of the modulation settings both as modulation... so in that respect i spose you can... for instance some of the delay settings are actually PAN settings and stuff like that, i guess thats how they got over it.

I think its a bit of a spin on words from Roland, it would be nice if the ME could at least have 2 of the ACTUAL modulations going at once (like chorus and Rotary).. i guess that is what you meant by turning a knob and thats what you get. :)

Archived