Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alot of work for set of p90's

Guitarzan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, on the one hand, he could've gotten some humbucker-sized P-90 type pickups that would've dropped right in, but I think that the appearence and D.I.Y. pride and experience were just as much a part of this for him as the sound. And, his specific placement of the neck-pickup, somewhat closer to the "middle" position, will actually make for fatter, rounder single-note leads when playing past the 12th-fret, since the pickup will be closer to the middle of the fretted-string's sounding lentgth when in that upper register.

Overall, a good job, and cool results! He sweated many details.

"Gently heat the wax by unplugging your hot soldering iron and pressing it to the magnet. DO NOT LEAVE THE SOLDERING IRON PLUGGED IN. If you do, the coil in the soldering iron's heater MAY demagnetize the magnet a bit."
A good point, easy to overlook! I wouldn't have thought of that!

Also cool is his conversion of one of the two P-90s to RW/RP for some hum-canceling when both pickups are on:

http://www.blueshottub.com/projectp90/rwrp.gif

I've thought about doing this, myself, but never got around to it. Maybe I should...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

i wasn't knocking the dude but it was kind of ammusing to me. but like you say he sure did get the details ironed out. quite an undertaking.

this would be a good guy to have work on a guitar.

i was always curious to what was hiding under the larger pickguards on the SG.

yeah the pickup conversion and polarity reversal was imformative and cool. he isn't scared is he?

I have a genuine Gibson guitar that has single coil pickups and is shaped like an SG (I forgot the model). The guitar has a very good resonance when played acoustically but the pickups sound really bad, with no good character to them. So I will eventually upgrade it with either humbuckers or P90s and I will have to route it to make room for the new pickups. Your thread reminded me of that guitar and the work I will have to do to it (it might be a few years down the road). I will also have to design a different pickguard so it will become a totally custom job. In my case, I feel the work will be worth it because I already have the guitar and I like the way it feels and sounds unplugged.

Izzatt Gibson SG-like axe a Firebrand, Rhino?

I seem to remember a Gibson Firebrand...

Then there were these Gibson SG 200s:

Does it look like this?

http://www.everythingsg.com/images/identify/1971_SG_200.jpg

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Does it look like this?

:D Yeah, that's the one!!! Although mine has some sunburst kind of a stain job, cherry red to yellow and doesn't have the bridge cover anymore. Because of the empty holes on each side of the bridge, I thought the guitar was retrofitted with a non-original bridge :) .

I just think it looks so big due to lighting and contrast.

Yeah, Rhino, these Gibson SG-200 guitars came up under discussion here a little while back, as did their bridge-covers and mystery holes, when some surfaced on e-Bay.

I'd imagine that some of those Seymour Duncan single-coil sized humbuckers would be a good choice for that guitar, as long as they'd fit.

I don't know if you could get away with the amount of routing that it'd take to fit P-90s in there, but they'd sound great if you could!

Ever since having my '71 Tele routed and modded for a humbucker near the neck pickup, I've regretted defacing what would have turned out to be an appreciating investment, had I left it alone. It's still worth more than new(35 years ago), but not what it would bring in its original state. It's not for sale, but that's not the point. It's value to anyone else has been diminished.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Ever since having my '71 Tele routed and modded for a humbucker near the neck pickup, I've regretted defacing what would have turned out to be an appreciating investment, had I left it alone. It's still worth more than new(35 years ago), but not what it would bring in its original state. It's not for sale, but that's not the point. It's value to anyone else has been diminished.

I know what you mean. I totally destroyed an SG once. I probably had Wayne Gretzky's rookie card flapping in my bicycle spokes too. :D

Yeah Bluesape, I understand that risk, too.

Anyone with a crystal ball can tell me if SG 200s will ever become valuable?

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Ahhh yeah OK...your 200 will NOT become valuable.. in fact after awhile you will have to pay Gibson to even keep it...SO..just send it to me before they start charging you !!! :evil::thu:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Ahhh yeah OK...your 200 will NOT become valuable.. in fact after awhile you will have to pay Gibson to even keep it...SO..just send it to me before they start charging you !!! :evil::thu:
Are you willing to work out a trade there, Lee? :P

Originally posted by ellwood:

quote:

Ahhh yeah OK...your 200 will NOT become valuable.. in fact after awhile you will have to pay Gibson to even keep it...SO..just send it to me before they start charging you !!!
:evil::thu:
Are you willing to work out a trade there, Lee?
:P

And what did you have in mind??? HUMMMMMM!!!

One really cool thing about P-90 routing, I believe that if a P-90 fits, you can also fit a mini-humbucker in there with a bezel (the mounting-ring) made from a P-90 "soapbar"-stylee's cover, the way they first were on the original Gibson Les Paul Deluxe guitars.

I have a Cherry-Sunburst Les Paul with humbuckers, and a Ruby-Red Les Paul with P-90 "soapbars"; now I need a third one, basically a Les Paul Deluxe in Wine-Red with all gold hardware and those mini-humbuckers, too... :thu::cool:

So many options yet so little time and so little money... isn't there an end? :)

All that talk about P90s on this forum has really made me want to own a guitar with them. But I'll have to weigh in all the options carefully. The way the SG 200 is built (the neck is straight, parallel to the face of the guitar), it might be easier to put humbuckers with straight mounting rings as opposed to P90s (I don't know how high P90s can be adjusted from the surface of the pickguard).

I will once again counsel you to acquire another guitar with P-90s rather than disfigure the perfectly fine axe you have. After I had the Tele modded, I no longer felt the same about it, and still don't play it a whole lot. I tried to make it into something it isn't, and it was a MISTAKE! :mad: It hurts all the more because it's my most sentimentally prized possession. I don't know where this SG fits in your heart of hearts, but I strongly suspect you'll have regrets. Sorry to bitch - just tryin' to save ya some pain. :D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

In the particular case of your SG-200, I'm pretty much with Reif; there's not a whole lot of wood there to scoop out, ESPECIALLY near the neck-joint.

I'd sooner measure the existing pickups to see if standard Strat-style pickups will fit, and if so, I'd consider some single-coil sized side-by-side humbuckers from the likes of Seymour Duncan. Or, if the dimensions are too unique, maybe the stock pickups could be rewound and even have different magnets put in 'em- with one reverse-wound/reverse-polarity for hum-cancelation when in the "middle" position of the selector-switch...

I will once again counsel you to acquire another guitar with P-90s rather than disfigure the perfectly fine axe you have. After I had the Tele modded, I no longer felt the same about it, and still don't play it a whole lot. I tried to make it into something it isn't, and it was a MISTAKE! :mad: It hurts all the more because it's my most sentimentally prized possession. I don't know where this SG fits in your heart of hearts, but I strongly suspect you'll have regrets. Sorry to bitch - just tryin' to save ya some pain. :D

You know, if we make enough noise around this, Ellwood might trade me something cool for it ;):D .

It is enjoyable to play it acoustically but it is very blah-sounding when plugged in.But in any case, I am just throwing ideas around for now and will not try anything funny with it (yet :) ).

I will most likely just ponder about it and let it sit for many more years (as I did for many years past). But it's too bad that a guitar with great potential gets to stay aside so much (can you tell I am not a collector at heart?).

I do appreciate your advice and concerns (that goes for you, too Caevan).

There's been a cult following for "soapbars" and "dog-ears" for decades; I myself was waaay late to the party, but have come to absolutely love a good soapbar-guitar.

Years ago I read Tom Wheeler's and Dan Forte's ("Teiso Del Rey's") oppinions that Chuck Berry's finest tones, recorded and live, had been gotten on P-90 equipped guitars. These types of pickups had kinda gotten neglected or misunderstood by the majority of electric guitar players by then.

Later I found that I really, really liked the growling low-notes, fat, round, compressed sounding high notes, and crisply complex mids that I'd get when I fooled around with guitars in shops, especially when I'd put a little English on my picking attack. (These pickups respond nicely to that "Brit-Blues/Rock" style where you lightly, almost brushingly, upstroke on the plain-strings when playing single-note leads, as well as picking aggressively near the bridge, brushing across all the strings, anything "scritchy" on the wound-strings... they're just plain responsive.)

I eventually got a Les Paul Studio-Gem "Ruby" (pictured in my avater-image as I type this) with two "soapbars", and I love what I can coax out of it.

Here on this forum, there were a number of P-90 lovers, including Lee Flier; her recordings with her band, What The... ?, often using her '52 LP, showcase some of the great tones that can be gotten out of 'em.

I think it's ironic that these pickups are associated with Keith Richards type sounds, yet Keith himself has rarely- if ever- used 'em! They really do shine in Open-G tuning, rootsy-bluesy-riffery, and the like...

I think they really go hand-in-glove with a Gibsony 24.75" scale-length, too.

Originally posted by GuitArthur Guinness:

why don't you plop a roland pickup on there with sticky tape and pick up a used VG8, then you will have faux humbuckers, single coils yada yada..whatever your heart desires :idea:

A MIDI guitar? :eek: Ouch! If my poor guitar could hear that! (...but hey, you could be on to something :thu: ). Although VG8 is not MIDI, it's more of a modeling-type system. I wonder how much of the resonance of the actual guitar it would pick up. I don't think I'll go for that but it's a neat idea to keep the guitar intact.

I lent that gtr to my brother and recently got it back. I now use it as my late-night axe when writing with people sleeping in close quarters (these days I refuse to play through headphones, did too much of that in my younger days).

The red flags raised here (paired with the faint ones already somewhere in my mind) make me happy to not have time to alter the gtr right away; this buys me time to think about it.

Archived