Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wanted:Low-down and dirty sounding pickup

Phillydor

I've assembled some guitar bits and pieces that have laid around my home for ages into something resembling a guitar, albeit one with an ancient cheapo SG plywood body dried out in the Australian sun for decades, with a strat(sort of)neck. With a brass bridge from a Yamaha SG and original tin tailpiece that wouldn't be out of place on Gumby's guitar, if their ever was such a thing.

Played without pickups, it has a nice rattley sort of sound, that reminds me of a dobro a bit. It's a good old bluesy kind of sound that I'd like to keep. Most pickups aim at cleaning the sound up, but I want it to to sound even dirtier! Any suggestions as to how this can be achieved would be most welcome. Any ideas about how to get a dobro sound out of an electric? Is this an impossible dream?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think that a heavily wound pickup - one reading out 10k or so, would sound quite dirty and distorted. It's almost bound to be a humbucker with that measurement. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Hmmnn, it's true that a heavily overwound, hot, high-output humbucker will sound "dirty" by hitting the preamp harder and having an inherently darker tone, I think it would also obscure a lot of what you say you like in the character of this guitar's unamplified sound.

I'd think that a lower output pickup, with a brighter, clearer, more defined sound would be the ticket; perhaps even an unpotted one- nobody's beeswax, not even your own- for a deliberately, deliciously microphonic tendency.

Try a couple of P-90's, or one of several humbucker-sized 'n' shaped P-90 style pickups that are out there (Gibson, Seymour Duncan, and others make 'em), with the pickup down low and the polepieces raised up high and looking like skeleton-teeth or golf-tees.

Or maybe some "lipstick-tube" types like those originally found in Danelectro guitars. Or some Gretschey DeArmond type single-coils or Filter'Tron humbuckers, keeping in the lower output range, again with the pickup low but the poles high...

You could even go so far as to route-out cavities to use some metal Band-Aid boxes or similar tins as mounting-bezels for your pickups; the Band-Aid boxes could have their lids left as-is, for added sympathetic metalic rattle and buzz...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

Look at GFS pickups in eBay US.

Cheap & dirty.

Geoff

Cheap 'n' clean too.

G.

Y'know, you shouldn't paraphrase and misquote that Geoff guy like that, Geoff, he's likely to go all Baby-Face-Nelson on ya... Just look at his avatar-portrait, a killer! A born killer, I say... :thu::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks - I think 'microphonic' is what I'm aiming at. Danelectro sounds like a likely provider of the sort of sound I'm after...not so much distorted as 'trashy'. I think the Yamaha solid brass bridge pressed directly against the wood vibrates the Son of Gumby tailpiece sufficiently, but I'll keep the band-aid tins in mind for future expeditions into the guitar graveyard that my spare room has become.

Archived