Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite EVH tones

Gifthorse

I know this is a broad topic, because EVH tones were always good (until you know who came along)

Anyways,. I am going to say my favorite Eddie tone is probably Women & Children First.

The reason? I like it because it seems the most raw and in your face.

I love the solo in "a simple rhyme"

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to parrot Dark Lava, but he is absolutely correct in that those 2 albums are really quintessential of his tone.

How about those volume swells on the chords thoughout the verses of "When Push comes to shove" and it sounds like the Plexi fades in and out of being on the verge of blowing up?

I like all of them. But keep in mind he switched to Marshall JCM 800 series heads for Fair Warning. His original Marshall was stolen on tour on Women And Children First.

To me Fair Warning's tone is unbelievably good, it used to be my favorite. I think he has a tad more distortion on Fair Warning than the past. I just like that raw tone he had on Women & Chidren. It sounds a little more aggressive. Like that solo on SImple Rhyme. It is so vintage sounding.

I read an interview with EVH in like 1978 and he says that he has like 17 plexi heads on stage every show because the transformers blew out so much. He said they blow out and he just footswitches to another one. Can you imagine having that many amps just in case?

I think that is the main reason he switched to the JCM 800 series.

FAIR WARNING is the holy grail of crunch tone in my opinion.

oh yeah VHI & VHII are also incredible! Women and Children first I thought had a little sloppier tone or it just wasnt captured as well as on the others. Still bad assed for sure but it didnt totally kick my butt like the others did tone wise. I think a little too much reverb/room was in the guitar tracks on WACF.

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

i can't argue with anyone here. i love VH1 ( one channel anyway) ;) and of course fair warning. sweet.

you gotta love the slow pickscrapes and swishy crap at the start of everybody wants some. that amp was set to stun! all those little sounds amplified to oblivion were awesome, and when a chord came in.....wowswers.

Fair Warning, hands down. That tone was so pissed off sounding, and I mean that in a good way!...on the verge of falling apart, but still hanging on by a frayed thread. The intro to Unchained is the about as good as an electric guitar could ever sound. VHII is a close second.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I dunno, actually at different points in my life I have loved different albums more.

I guess I am just in a Women & Children first mode right now.

I agree Robbue, I don't think WACF has the same recording quality as the other ones. I always thought Diver Down was the worst tone VH had with Roth in the band. I think I read he was using a bunch of amps on Diver Down like Laney's and Musicmans in addition to marshalls.

But for some reason I love some of the rawness of Women & Children even though it doesn't measure up in some ways.

As for the 800 vs the plexi tone. Hard to say, they both sound amazing.

I still can't believe after having the coolest tone he would want a preampy compressed 5150 tone. It is actually a good amp for metal players or some rock players but we are talking about EVH!!!

...don't hate me...

I'm actually NOT familiar w/ early EVH, apart from 1984. By the way, in 1984 I was 7 yrs old so maybe that should explain. However, I DO love his 1984 tone, and don't necessarily like the later sounds (especially the ones w/ the constant chorus effect), and even though I don't own Fair Warning, I do remember thinking I wanted that sound the first time I heard it.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Thanks for that info Millo. I went to the GT site and read about it. Interesting to know Eddie got Groove Tubes!

Kickass, that rocks to know. I am on a limited budget. My buddy keeps raving about his JCM 800 with KT88's. I want to get a couple for my Bivalve and see what it sounds like. I am looking for more headroom than I am getting with my EL 34's. I like them for distortion no doubt, but I want a bigger tone. Anyways, I will experiment.

Though I would love to have the old VH brown sound he is famous for, it isn't conducive to my band cuz we have 3 guitarists.

I don't know what I am looking for yet, it is cool with the Bivalve to be able to experiment.

You know they are all great. One of the most baffling events in history--Eddie switching to preamp gain and chorus for EVERY song.

Going from the coolest tone ever, to 'just like everyone else'. I wish he had AT LEAST used a VTM 120 or something. It was a better sounding amp for old VH.

That chorus thing sux. I think choruses are annoying unless used sparingly. Like for 1 solo in this song, or this 1 clean part. Whatever, I am a fly on Eddie's ass what do I know.

Imagine VH releasing a new album with Roth, but Eddie played through a Marshall again!! I would pay alot to see that concert.

The last tours I just ignore. I have heard his tone live and it sounds compressed, but I heard a live version of Meanstreet with Gary Cherone singing and it actually sounds very very close to his tone on Meanstreets but it is missing a certain low end complexity and response. And whenever he hits a harmonic it compresses tons and sounds like a Rockman. His Marshalls had great low end clarity and sizzling complexity. That made his tone!!

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

That chorus thing sux. I think choruses are annoying unless used sparingly. Like for 1 solo in this song, or this 1 clean part. Whatever, I am a fly on Eddie's ass what do I know.

...yeah, those were the tones I was referring to. I actually dislike those chorus tones of his. I mean, it'a alright for one song. But dang!.... Like that lunchbox or lunchbag or douchebag song he released w/ Sammy a bit more recently. Yuck!

My MySpace Space

I know this isnot related to the topic but:

Flagship: I got the Avatar 2x12 cab and the Carvin Legacy head today. It was a surprise b/c I wasn't expecting the cab until maybe Thursday or friday.

Anyhow, this cab sounds much better than the one I returned, which makes me think the farting was caused by the smashsing it took from the FedEx troglodites. Smooth, and doesn't break or 'booms' at the higher volumes I tried it (near 8 on the Twin II, about 6.5 on the Legacy). Two Eminence Swamp Thangs (150w each), 16 ohms mono.

The Legacy sounds a lot better than expected, and a lot less like Steve Vai than expected. Yay! Let me explain: it's a lot more articulate than I thought it would be, yet smooth w/ good sustain. I have no clue how so many fuckers at HC think it doesn't sustain/distort that much. I mean, it's not super high gain, and it's not for super heavy metal, but come on! I haven't tried w/ the Ibanez yet, we'll see if still sounds articulate, since those pups are higher output.

My MySpace Space

Back to topic:

Hate the VH "Lunchbox" or whatever song... proof that Sammy is like that annoying clown that isn't funny.

But I still like some of the earlier Sammy-era, even though it's just not the same.

My MySpace Space

Lets see flag's been doing his gigs all this time

with his peavy classic and a few guitar guys are

in the crowd just bowled over by his tone,then

one day flag shows up with his new thd thinking

he has the shit now but his fans are saying man

I'm out of here his tone sucks I can't listen to this.Flags thinking to himself man those dudes

are crazy I love my tone.

I'm pretty sure Ed feels the same way.

BTW if you are a true fan then you would hear

the old Ed tone on VH3 dirty water dog,fire in the

hole.A lot of his tone changed "not all" changed

when he changed guitars.

I care less what people thought of my tone,it's what I like.Funny things is I was listening to one of the new tunes and right after

that it goes into ain't talking about love and

the tone sounded the same to me.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

You guys are nuts.

Don't get me wrong, I love his early tones and VHII is probably my favorite, as much for the songs as the tones on them.

But I love his sound on 1984 and absolutely on 5150. It's definitely not the same as the earlier albums, but abfab nonetheless.

I can't really speak to his later tones because outside of a few radio hits, I haven't listened to VH in the past 10 - 15 years. Still, I hardly imagine he sounds anything but wonderful.

I guess one reason I like the 5150 tones was his use of single-coil p'ups on a lot of it. They just sound more dynamic. Not as smooth as the bridge hb's on the earlier albums, but plenty of character to accompany the man's own character. :thu:Best of Both Worlds comes to mind.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Ultimately, I guess that I would have to agree with fantasticsound. If it's got Eddie playing on it, I am listening. His tone is a big part of why I love his playing, but his phrasing, riffs, and especially his rhythm playing is what really gets me. Eruption is completely bad-ass, but I personally think that his rhythm playing is his forte and unmatched.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I would agree that EVH rythm playing is his greatest attribute and he also carries this into his lead playing.

As for VHIII sounding ANYTHING like old VH, I disagree completely but thats ok. To me his tone blew on that album. I heard a rumour that Eddie fired like 4 producers or something because they thought the material was lack luster.

As for 5150, I personally didn't care for his tone on that one. Ted Templeman was gone and it was obvious with the more synthetic drums and guitar sounds. To me Best of Both Worlds sounded like that song Celebration--by Kool and the Gang--same exact riff. To each his own though--personal preference. I think that his playing after 1984 simply didn't capture the same intensity or cutting edge that he had before. I still think Roth brought out the best in Eddie because Eddie had to compete for the spotlight but that is just conjecture.

Of course I can readily admit that EVH tones since 1984 do not SUCK (except VHIII). I mean he is falkin EVH!! It just seems paled by the older more organic Marshall tones that seemed to drive the power tubes harder for more complexity on the low end.

He got alot of money from Peavey, and I am sure he enjoyed creating a new amp to his specs. Can't blame him for that. You know I am sure Ted Templeman was a big part of his tone. The older demos of VH recorded with Gene Simmons money and connections sounds like shitballs and the tone is nothing like VH1.

As for the Peavey Classic beating the THD--not a chance!!

Hey Millo, you like that cab and amp eh?

I have never heard a Legacy before. You bought a head correct?

It probably gets alot of distortion if it is Steve Vai's trademark tone.

Maybe similar to a Peavey Classic?? To me the Classic has more than enough gain for most styles except thrash.

Archived