Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar purchase help

revriley

I want a two humbuckler guitar to get that "Gibson sound" without paying the gibson price. I'v been thinking about a Shecter S-1, Ibanez artest, Washburn Idol, and Hamer Archtop. I'll appreciate all suggestions and opinions.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The makes you named are all worthy. Here, Agile has become a big favorite among the members looking for great budget instruments. I'll say again that Godin is worth a look as well, as I still feel their quality exceeds that of a lot of the imported stuff. Some purists will insist that only Gibsons have that "Gibson Sound", but even they will have to admit that you can come awfully close these days with a wide variety of makes. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I have an Ibanez SZ520, in quilter maple, this baby here:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/zoom/SZ520QMGAB.jpg

I dont know if this what geoff was talkin about (cause it does have the shorter scale length) but man this guitar rocks. I love everything about it and even though it was $430 when i bought it (this was a couple years ago and it goes for $530 now) i could easliy see it being my favorite guitar for the rest of my life.

Good Luck!

I'm 100% with Reif. Great advice. Also, throw in Tokai, Orville and Burny. Tokai's were so damn good in the mid-80's that they were kickin' Gibson tail - on their own product. lol. Gibson sued so most of those mid-80s axes are overseas. I don't know about the present Tokais, but it seems that right now the asian connection (like cars) has really excelled in the last 10 years. No longer the cheap, sorry products of the past.

As for the Ibanez, I like those. I had one for a while ... long ago.

Agile - now the po' man's axe and choice of this board. I bought one of those a couple of months ago and love it. I may change out the bridge pick-up, but that's it. It has the liquid Gibson sound. But, if its a first axe make sure you live near a shop that can help you out. Mine came in decent shape out of the box, but the intonation was out and needed some adjusting. And, biggest drawback was I had to buy it without even touching one or playing one. So, its a gamble. I had never done that before. Usually, I have sat around playing guitars until I find one that's just right.

Nuff said by me. Go out and get yourself a new axe and PLAY! Good luck!

JC

There is a member here, Caprae, who has a Godin Freeway Classic for sale for $300.00. It has 2 humbuckers and a single in the middle, with an impressive tonal array. I want one of these myself, but I insist on the maple fretboard, which his doesn't have, or I would have bought it from him. It's an excellent guitar for a great price - he says it's like new - and well worth your consideration. :thu: Check the items for sale thread.

BTW - I hope no one regards this post as spam, as I neither own the guitar, nor know the owner beyond this forum. I'd just like to see members mutually benefit each other. :rolleyes:

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I would toss out a couple more names here, Tradition. Fantastic bang for the buck and readily available under $500. Also, take a look at some Carvins on their web site. I'll guarantee you that their humbuckers rock, and their necks are some of the most wonderful players out there. I'm plotting and planning my next Carvin model soon.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Bullet Train to Osaka:

I have an Ibanez SZ520, in quilter maple, this baby here:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/zoom/SZ520QMGAB.jpg

I dont know if this what geoff was talkin about (cause it does have the shorter scale length) but man this guitar rocks. I love everything about it and even though it was $430 when i bought it (this was a couple years ago and it goes for $530 now) i could easliy see it being my favorite guitar for the rest of my life.

The Studio Series is the brown one in the middle of this lot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/ea549005.jpg

Mine's a 1979 ST105 with V2 pups.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I'm with guitarzan. If you want a Gibson sound, get a Gibson. If you want an SG you can get a faded SG special for $649 out of MF. Also LP Vint. Mahogany runs $900, LP Sp. SL Humbucker runs $649. ONce again these are all out of musicians friend. You should take a look.

Archived