Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

power tube distortion vs preamp distortion

Gifthorse

Originally posted by rw2003:

Anyone here play through a Fuchs amp? I haven't but I'm gonna try too real soon!

If you are going to spend that much, you might as well get a two-rock or a divided by 13 or an allessandro; all of which are point to point.

With the fuchs, you pay the handwired price, but get a circuit board amp.

Just doesn't sound fair

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually my buddy is going to order a Custom premiere cabinet from Avatar empty. He has 2 vintage 30's he is going to install.

I like the celestion 75's for the lows. I think they would sound kickass with a vintage 30 for a rock tone.

I haven't tried it, but when I went to the celestion site in that tone selector (very useful) the 75s sounded a bit crisper than the greenbacks.

I was gone and my singer bought it on his card cuz it was on EBay. Anyways, they were right, I love it!

Thanks guys... my new goal is to save $$$ to buy the THD univalve.

Here is a used one on Ebay... currently going for $555.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THD-univalve-class-A-amp-signed-by-Andy-Marshall_W0QQitemZ7394447300QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

I like the Vintage 30's tone but Celestion claims they appear twice as loud as other speakers at the same power level and I think they have a bit too much of high end (although that could be the rest of my signal chain). For that reason, I'd like to pair a Vintage 30 with something like a Greenback or drop the V30 and go with a G12H and a Greenback. In other words, I'd like to drop both the volume and the high end.

I've read somewhere else that the G12H has a lot of high end, too: anybody has any experience with them?

I'm getting conecry with the vintage 30's. I'm going to step it up to the Eminence 1265's. I'll miss some of that gritty celestion action.

I tell ya, I was a stones throw away from getting the thd bivalve until i saw another deal on a killer amp. I'm eating peanut butter sandwiches now, but you should hear my tone. My vitamin supplements are pretty good

Originally posted by rw2003:

Anyone here play through a Fuchs amp? I haven't but I'm gonna try too real soon! You can add them to the list of boutique tube amps that are worth a try. They also make low wattage amps - like 7 watts, the Lucky 7.

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/index.html

I have a Fuchs mod, a Dr. Z Maz, a Pierson Champ, a Roland Jazz Chorus, a Fender Blues Jr, and a Gerhardt Gilmore 1/2 watt. Not to be redundant, but my Kinglsey custom is my favorite. All of the others are great amps and have distinctive sounds, but as far as versatility, beautiful clean tone, sweet power tube overdrive -- nothing is better than the Kingsley. Granted, I'm in the Fender 6L6 camp and I don't do metal, but everything else is covered by the Kingsley.

I will point out, however, that I just got the Voodoo Amp Selector, and I'm wondering how I ever lived without it. The simultaneous combo of Kingsley and Gerhardt is just plain unbelieveable. :thu::cool::D

After spending the last few hours messing around with my amps & cabs...

...I found what it is I didn't like about the Traynor YCV40.

It wasnt the amp...it was the damn Celestion Vintage 30s!!!

They are just too brittle in the high end...almost annoying!

Maybe they will loosen up eventually...but I took the YCV40 amp and paired it up with a 15" Cerwin Vega speaker that is in a V-34 reflex cabinet, with a horn and a pair of tweeters (but I've disconnected them)...and the amp almost immediately sounded 100% better!

I've used the Cerwin Vega 15" in the past with my old Traynor Mark 3 head...and I was always happy with the creamy sound I got...

...but when I purchased the YCV40 combo along with the 112 closed-back extension cab...

...I never even thought about the Cerwin Vega 15" (I have a pair of those V-34 cabs).

The Celestion Vintage 30 has upper mids/highs that are too hard...and very metallic or glassy sounding to me...and no matter how I tired to dial in the YCV40...I couldn't get the upper mids/highs to sound right.

I kept thinking it was the amp...and it turns out to be the speakers!

Well...I played guitar for about 4 hours tonight after I switched to the 15" speaker...and I re-tracked a rhythm guitar part that finally sounds like I wanted it to.

As far as the Univalve...well, I sure wouldn't mind having one...but I'm not ready to sink $900 into an amp head...and then I would probably have to also get a 212 to go with it.so thats another $500 at least.

I am looking at a couple of used Univalves on eBay...in the $550-$650 range...but there's another day to go.

I did find a new Univalve at one place for $845...which is a bit more reasonable than the $915 everywhere else.

I'm sure the Univalve is a great little amp...but it also requires experimentation with tubes and cabs to get the sound you want...and that's what I'm doing now with my current amps/cabs...and I think I finally found a nice combination tonight.

But I'll give the Univalve some serious thought...cuz it looks like the perfect low wattage studio amp.

I see some people on eBay asking about serial numbers??

Where there different versions of the Univalve since its introduction a few years agoand is there something I should be aware ofor has the amp remained unchanged from day one?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by YzeCounsel:

I tell ya, I was a stones throw away from getting the thd bivalve until i saw another deal on a killer amp. I'm eating peanut butter sandwiches now, but you should hear my tone. My vitamin supplements are pretty good

Most of us will never get to hear a 2-R in person. I know you got a 2-channel combo and the Bivalve is a 1-channel head. But if we stick to crunch and distorted lead tones, do you feel the 2-R is really that much more than the Bivalve or did you just jump on the 2-R because of a golden opportunity?

If the 2-R tone is that much better than what the Bivalve has to offer, could you please try to put some of it into words for us mere mortals?

Enquiring minds want to know... (Thanks!)

I'm getting conecry with the vintage 30's. I'm going to step it up to the Eminence 1265's. I'll miss some of that gritty celestion action.

You got a deal on that amp. Nice purchase.

I wish I could AB it in person with you and see what the difference is.

Since I changed to the 12AT7 everything is less fizzy sounding. I am still outta hand jacked.

Hey Cap, what kind of loop does that thing have? Is it amazing?

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Originally posted by YzeCounsel:

Most of us will never get to hear a 2-R in person. I know you got a 2-channel combo and the Bivalve is a 1-channel head. But if we stick to crunch and distorted lead tones, do you feel the 2-R is really that much more than the Bivalve or did you just jump on the 2-R because of a golden opportunity?

If the 2-R tone is that much better than what the Bivalve has to offer, could you please try to put some of it into words for us mere mortals?

Enquiring minds want to know... (Thanks!)

If you like crunch and distorted tones primarily, then that THD is it. Flagship and i chatted one night and exchanged "tones" (notes too), and that THD is warm and defined, specially w.that cab

I was going to get that and A/B w/ my Twin for clean. The 2-R came up used and i had to snag it.

I really need something that can get loud, clean, and Tubey, but also get the crunch/punch, which the 2-R gets. I'm still going to get the Allesandro working Dog and A/B for that "in between" gain stage ala cranked up 50's Tweed twin/JTM 45.

And the GAS fire burns on .. .

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Very cool, thanks! I'm glad you got to get that amp! And now an Allesandro? Which will go first: the peanut butter or the vitamins? :)

The vitamins, will have to go. I could get that organic designer peanut butter and eat it out of a jar w/ a spoon i guess . . .

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

hey flag, you tried a 6CA7 or heard the clips from THD's website?
I have heard the clips. Is the 6CA7 a tube?

To me the clips aren't that helpful. There are so many tones in between they miss

Also, personally I would love to hear the same lick or riff (same guitar) but played through different tube configurations. That way you could really get an idea how much different they sound AB against each other.

Yes, it is a power tube, from the EL-34 family. Supposedly it's darker sounding. I'm thinking of experimenting w/ those on the Carvin Legacy (which should arrive today, maybe I won't be here to receive it, dang it!) once I get my next paycheck.

A new Avatar cab is on the way, I returned the last one b/c of that problem w/ FedEx. This time, two Swamp Thangs... we'll see how that sounds. I think I'll like it--I liked the previous one, too, except the Tonker farted a bit when playing at outrageously loud volumes :D . That speaker seemed to produce such a huge low end the house couldn't seem to handle it well. Also, the farting may have been a consequence of FedEx's smashing. However, I know nothing about what a "good cab" is, so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

hey whatsup I missed this place !

this is my favorite topic... I have no tech knowledge of course but I too have tasted the fruits (EL34's) just recently. On my 55w Rivera getting it up to 6 on the master got me there..then discovered I could find a happy medium at 5 without killing the rest of the guys in the rehearsal room. :)

Just for fun here's some additional discussion I started a ways back on another board.

:)

here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=80134&highlight=power

Rivera + Fender Strat

Originally posted by MILLO:

...these were actually used by EVH for his early brown sound.

I keep seeing these references to EVH and his brown sound. Brown Sound was their original sound company. T-shirts said, "Brown Sound No Shit"

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

hahahaha, my bad.....

mkay, maybe not 'brown sound', just early EVH tone.

bill: I'll get to check that mic/computer/Tascam issue sometime this week/weekend. I'll PM you once I do it. Thanks for your disposition.

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

hahahaha, my bad.....

no, seriously.. I see it occasionally. And I always wondered why.

I can tell you this, though. I used to stand just off stage of Eddie, watching him, and a lot of the effects and stuff were triggered by the sound company board op, because Eddie was running around stage. (And being a guitar player, I'd know when he hit an effect.) This is back in the old days when they were playing theaters, before they got big.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

yup. It's a famous way of referring to his tone. I have no clue where it started, but I'm no EVH connoisseur (sp?).

My MySpace Space

Archived