Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

righto, techy stuff...

teddeeh

yo. few things i need help with:

i bought a brand new fender strat, a hideous hideous colour, but was cheaper than others. and played well nice aswell.

1. my dad had a look at the guitar, and looked at the neck, saying he thought it very odd it looks varnished. i sed its the same finish as on my tele, but ive had my tele for a while and obviously worn it down a bit. a problem if it is varnished?????? if so, werth strippin the neck? or get a replacement?

2. i literally am about to strip the entire thing bare, and take it to pieces to strip the body, give it a nicer finish. ive never done this before, soo can anyone give me any tips or things i shud do a specific way to not balls it up??

dingdingdingding

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, my first suggestion is that you leave it alone.

DSecond suggestion, post some pictures and we'll be able to give you some more helpful information.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

why not? i know how to set up guitars n such, jsut never really done anything that extreme. b4. are u saying if its a great guitar and plays well which it does, the intonation is fine, gonna lower the action slightly to my personal preference, then to leave it alone? not to bother if its a decent guitar and plays good, then may never ever get it back??
dingdingdingding

Best way to learn is to break something then have to fix it ;)

If it is a rosewood fretboard it may just look varnished, ive found on some new guitars the manufacturer give the fretboard a very very fine sanding and then oil it up which gives it a bit of a shiny appearance. I think Bills right, post up some pics.

i mean, the thing is ive defretted guitars before, i know a luthier i can take it to now, who restores vintage guitars, local. so i got a back up if i poo it up. my dads been playin for around 40 odd years, and ive been playin for a while... i think i know wot i doing...
dingdingdingding

Originally posted by lee83:

To learn what? That you should not have messed with it to start with? Yeah, been there done that!

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Originally posted by teddeeh:

i mean, the thing is ive defretted guitars before, i know a luthier i can take it to now, who restores vintage guitars, local. so i got a back up if i poo it up. my dads been playin for around 40 odd years, and ive been playin for a while... i think i know wot i doing...

Then why did you come in here and ask?

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

To learn what? That you should not have messed with it to start with? Yeah, been there done that!

Bill

lol yeah there is that. But I beleive in trial and error, I think you learn alot more about what you are doing that way, rather than somebody just saying "yeah, do this then that and bingo bango". I guess it comes down to personal preference.

... i think i know wot i doing...

That statement is at odds with this statement:

"my dad had a look at the guitar, and looked at the neck, saying he thought it very odd it looks varnished. i sed its the same finish as on my tele, but ive had my tele for a while and obviously worn it down a bit. a problem if it is varnished?????? if so, werth strippin the neck? or get a replacement?

2. i literally am about to strip the entire thing bare, and take it to pieces to strip the body, give it a nicer finish. ive never done this before, soo can anyone give me any tips or things i shud do a specific way to not balls it up??"

Now, a big part of what makes me think that you should leave it alone is that the really fucked up colors tend to become the valuable ones later on.

On top of that, you say that it plays really nice. Will it when you take it apart and put it back together?

A great race car driver may not know how to change his own oil, so 40 years of playing doesn't have anything to do with refinishing or repairing.

There are great instructions available on the guitar reranch site if you are hell bent on doing this, but I just don't see the point. You bought a brand new guitar, major label. If you didn't like the color, why did you buy it? It is not hard to find a guitar that 'plays nice'. They roll off the assembly lines in bulk all day long, in any color or finish that you can imagine.

And don't forget that you will destroy any monetary value that the guitar might have by doing this. Refinished guitars have very little resale value.

Bill

Steve Martin

lol yeah there is that. But I beleive in trial and error, I think you learn alot more about what you are doing that way, rather than somebody just saying "yeah, do this then that and bingo bango". I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Yeah. Do you prefer to spend your time playing your guitar, or reconstructing your guitar.

Bill

Steve Martin

no the neck is maple. i know if i start modifyin it i lose my garantee and the shop certainly wont take it back, but the colour makes me sick. i would take a photo, but i broke my digital camera.

the neck is really really shiny. really really shiny. it looks likes its got a thick coat of varnish in it.

dingdingdingding

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

Yeah. Do you prefer to spend your time playing your guitar, or reconstructing your guitar.

Bill

Actually equally enjoy both.

What it comes down to is common sense. If you have a perfectly good brand new Stratocaster, why would anyone in their right mind want to take it apart and refinish it and immediately reduce it's resale value by at least half?

That being said, it's your guitar. You said yourself that you know what you're doing (despite the fact that you said something entirely different in your first post). Have at it. Take it apart if that's what you want to do...strip the finish off the neck if that pleases you (even if it ruins the neck)....have a day!

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

i came here cos ive never removed the neck before, and all the pickups n stuff. id like to say i try my best at stuff. yeh i will rebuild it as soon as it has a new paint job. thing is i dont wanna resell it, i have what i want for my live setup which is a strat and a tele. i just wanted to know if anyone has tips n stuff. or anything to avoid or anything. im guessin by the responses here, ill leave it alone for now. i bought the colour cos it was same make but a little cheaper, so i could have some ££ at the end of it.
dingdingdingding

no the neck is maple. i know if i start modifyin it i lose my garantee and the shop certainly wont take it back, but the colour makes me sick. i would take a photo, but i broke my digital camera.

the neck is really really shiny. really really shiny. it looks likes its got a thick coat of varnish in it.

Yes. The maple necks have a finish on them. They are supposed to. They make them that way. If you don't like that, then by all means, strip it. It's your guitar...you can ruin it if you want to.

A better idea would have been to buy something you like in the first place.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

and the thing about the strippin the guitar, never done a paint job, never removed the pickups n everything, all ive done before, was remove the fretts, fill the gaps, then got my dad to sand it. made an amazing guitar out of a stagg. but never anything as "heavy" as completely changing it.
dingdingdingding

Do you know that the finish of the guitar affects the tone and feel? If you bought it for the sound and feel, leave it be.

We have posted multiple reasons why you shouldn't refinish, but it sounds like you had your mind made up before you posted. It is fun to take things apart if you are so inclined. But there are going to be risks, the guitar will sound and feel different no matter how good a job you do.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

Do you know that the finish of the guitar affects the tone and feel? If you bought it for the sound and feel, leave it be.

We have posted multiple reasons why you shouldn't refinish, but it sounds like you had your mind made up before you posted. It is fun to take things apart if you are so inclined. But there are going to be risks, the guitar will sound and feel different no matter how good a job you do.

hmm..... it was the best soundin fender at that price range in the shop.....and the cheapest.. now im all undecided. rrrrrggghh....
dingdingdingding

Originally posted by Deacon:

But WHAT color is it? If you can't take a picture just tell us. I gotsta know!

soz guys, its a hidous bright yellow. would take a foto, but i broke my camera.
dingdingdingding

Leave the damn thing alone!!!

Maple necks are supposed to be shiny!!

And *some* Strats on this planet are supposed to be yellow!!!

They have a right!!!

Any more of this and we'll have a Strat Strike on our hands, and then what'll we play? Huh?

See!! Hadn't thought of that, hadjuh?

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

well, like I said, check out the guitar reranch website. Everything you need to know about doing a proper refin, and supplies, too.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

Leave the damn thing alone!!!

Maple necks are supposed to be shiny!!

And *some* Strats on this planet are supposed to be yellow!!!

They have a right!!!

Any more of this and we'll have a Strat Strike on our hands, and then what'll we play? Huh?

See!! Hadn't thought of that, hadjuh?

G.

ok ok ill leave it alone. but its havin a few stickers. some cool ones. and i will check out the guitar reranch site.
dingdingdingding

Archived