Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations on a single rack space travel case:


Dr. Ellwood

Recommended Posts



  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is a single space device, put it into one of those soft-sided single or double space rack cases, with the shoulder strap. It's like carrying a canvas bag, all padded and stuff.

 

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

 

Steve Martin

 

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

If it is a single space device, put it into one of those soft-sided single or double space rack cases, with the shoulder strap. It's like carrying a canvas bag, all padded and stuff.

 

Bill

I've got 2 x 1U rack effects and a 2U bass amp. I've been looking at these canvas/ply bags as a cheap(ish) solution.

 

Do they hold up for wear & tear?

 

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only one choice, Lee.

 

I'm not big on SKB cases for serious road duty, but they used to make a wonderful, tiny molded plastic cast that would be perfect for this use. 2 or 3 rack spaces, very shallow depth (perfect for most f/x processors) and a big handle on one end for easy transport and big feet on the other end so it could stand up.

 

I don't see it on their website, however, so you may have to search for a used one.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

 

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

I've got 2 x 1U rack effects and a 2U bass amp. I've been looking at these canvas/ply bags as a cheap(ish) solution.

 

Do they hold up for wear & tear?

 

Geoff

There are bags and there are bags, but generally speaking, heavier devices like amps don't usually fare too well in soft cases, and the cases don't hold up well to all that weight.

 

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

 

Steve Martin

 

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW - I had a substantial gig-bag style 4 space rack back in the day and I would not recommend it. The SKB stuff is lighter, at least as substantial and sits better on other racks and shelves, etc. The zippers on my rack bag became very difficult to deal with, especially as the nylon material began to fray. Guess where it frays the most? At the edges right where the zippers are. In addition, the "convenient" outside pocket made it near impossible to put anything on top of the rack bag, even when empty.

 

I like bags for a variety of uses from instruments to general gig bags, but I would never buy another rack bag.

 

This picture looks like the right one, but the price at Musician's Friend was ridiculous. These used to sell for $59 - $79 and they have it listed at $144. :confused::eek:

 

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/9/9/375399.jpg

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

 

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

BTW - I had a substantial gig-bag style 4 space rack back in the day and I would not recommend it. The SKB stuff is lighter, at least as substantial and sits better on other racks and shelves, etc. The zippers on my rack bag became very difficult to deal with, especially as the nylon material began to fray. Guess where it frays the most? At the edges right where the zippers are. In addition, the "convenient" outside pocket made it near impossible to put anything on top of the rack bag, even when empty.

 

I like bags for a variety of uses from instruments to general gig bags, but I would never buy another rack bag.

 

This picture looks like the right one, but the price at Musician's Friend was ridiculous. These used to sell for $59 - $79 and they have it listed at $144. :confused::eek:

 

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/9/9/375399.jpg

Neil, on the SKB one, is there a removable panel on the back side? like on the front. The back side needs to have access on the Lexicon. It must but I sure don't see the aluminum ring on the backside?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"...single rack space travel case..."

 

Man, if you're expecting something capable of space travel in the size of a single rack unit, you're going to be terribly dissapointed... ;)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

 

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, yes, that was floating-in-a-tin-can... You are correct, sir! :freak:;):D

 

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon3.gif Hey, your new "Indian Name" could be "Gigs In Space"! (Mine's "Runs With Scissors", although amongst the people to the South I am known as "Broken Wind"... ) :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

 

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by ellwood:

...Neil, on the SKB one, is there a removable panel on the back side? like on the front. The back side needs to have access on the Lexicon. It must but I sure don't see the aluminum ring on the backside?

First, I believe the one with the "x" shapes molded into it that Bullet train posted is the newer version.

 

Yes, it has a back panel. On the older version it's a near flat plastic panel held in place by two, red, spinning fasteners. It's highly insubstantial because it can be without leaving most gear at risk. The front has the aluminum rails and a far more substantial build because the rack rails (and the front of your gear) are attached there.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

 

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...