Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yngwie and the scalloped neck

Hardtail

Instead of adding this post to the existing ying-yang thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

What is the deal with scalloped necks? Does anyone here use one?

I just don't see the point in gutting a perfectly good guitar neck.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My number 1 electric has a scalloped neck and I obviously like it that way (otherwise it wouldn't be my number 1 electric).

The scallops get you a better grip on the strings for bends and vibrato. They also force you to get a light touch on the fretboard and once you get that skill, it can be transferred to regular necks as well. I've always liked big frets for lead playing and the scallops make it even better.

nice clean hammering, bendability, and less friction.

supposed to help you relax your hand. for it takes less force to play clean notes.

seeing the dude plays very fast and has insane vibrato i can see it works for him.

imagine doing a bend or vibrato with no wood dragging on your finger tip.

Well based on his "Hot Licks" dvd he claims he saw a lute and thought it looked cool so he tried it on one of his bad necks, and ended up liking it. So he did it on his other necks.

And to quote him

He says "it gets a better grip on the strings, and has nothing to do with playing faster, and even mentions its even more difficult to play faster on the neck and not to try it unless you know what your doing"

I'm with Rhino, as far as liking a scalloped fretboard. I don't own a guitar with a scalloped fretboard, but I have tried them, and had a friend that had bought a used Yngwie sig-model Fender Strat. It wasn't any harder at all than normal to play chords (or anything else, for that matter). It was real nice for bending and vibrato, and enhanced the whole "light-touch/don't rub & drag against the wood" thing. I wouldn't mind having a guitar with such a 'board on it, not at all, and it could be a consideration if the oportunity arose...

Ritchie Blackmore and John McLaughlin both used scalloped fretboards years before Yngwie, and nobody made a big deal out of it then.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've heard Yngwie's video and when he plays slowly, it seems he suffers some intonation problems--I'm not bullshitting you. It seems like this is an issue with scalloped fretboards. One has to be careful to apply always the same pressure regardless of whether you're going fast or slow.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I agree with MILLO. From a physics standpoint that big dip in the fretboard behind each fret must induce a lot of variability in pitch depending on how hard or soft you fret the note. I stick with a standard type neck with medium jumbo or jumbo frets.

It's kinda like having big, huge jumbo frets, taken to an extreme.

I really do actually like the way the ones I've tried felt, and I really did actually find that they weren't hard for playing chords or properly intonating or any of that...

Based on the feel of guitars with scalloped fretboards that I really did actually play before, I really actually would strongly consider having a scalloped 'board on a new guitar if the option was available...

No theory or supposition about it; "YMMV"! :thu::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Scalloped necks are very good for sweep picking arpeggios. I think that is the main reason most guys do it.

Of course you can do more vibrato and stuff but the primary thing is sweep picking and achieving articulation.

Personally if I cared about that stuff, I would just get bass guitar frets put on my guitar.

Archived