Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Goin' to see Smokin' Joe...

picker

A friend of mine asked if I would go with him to see Smokin' Joe Kubek at Knucklehead's Saloon tonight, and I said sure. Lookin' forward to an evening of hot bluesy guitar. Tedster, it starts at 7:00, and if you get the chance to show up, look for a big guy with greyish hair and glasses in a white shirt...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lucky Picker! Wish I was you but that might be a bit of a shock to Mrs. Picker and Picker Jr. dontcha know. You'll have a great time, guaran-dang-teed! I'm hoping to see Tommy Castro in a couple weeks myself. Give us a full report tomorrow, enjoy!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I saw and met him in a small (and I mean small) club before; is Benois King (if I remember the name correctly) singing and playing guitar with him tonight?

If you happen to chat with the drummer and/or bassist, ask 'em if they remember playing a tiny joint in Elmira, NY, called Kingsbury' or something like that one Winter's night a few years ago; the guys who were playing with him that night were great folks to hang with, all enthusiastic about playing and meeting folks and talking and hanging out, nice guys!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Smokin' Joe did smoke...cigarettes, mostly. He's a good player, didn't miss a note, semingly has great timing and chops, and had a pretty cool tone. But it seemed like he was kinda phoning it in; no sense of danger or excitement about his playing at all. Maybe he was tired, or sick, or stoned, or just not feeling it last night, but for whatever reason he was mostly forgetable. I kept feeling like he was not really playing as well as he could, you know?

Now B'Nois King, who did all the singing and took some lead breaks, was a totally different story. His vocals were a little down in the mix, but very nice overall, and his lead breaks seemed to build excitement with every phrase, and he got applause for pretty much all his solos. His guitar playing absolutely made the band. The bass player and drummer were pretty low key and basic, but very tight and present everywhere they needed to be.

It wasn't a bad night, but Smokin' Joe did not put off too much smoke last night. oh well, everyone has an off night every now and again...

Hey Pick, you're right that some nights are just off. Too bad it wasn't truly smokin', but a night of "just OK" blues still beats staying home and watching Fear Factor, eh?

Originally posted by Darklava:

Thought you were talking about Smokin Joe Bonamassa....have fun :wave:

http://static.flickr.com/41/88781680_b03eb0d148.jpg?v=0

My band did a show with Joe Bonamassa last September he did SMOKE!!!

Picker, my take on Smokin' Joe is the same as yours. Iv'e only seen him once and it was years ago. B'Nois King was awesome and Kubek was just kind of there. Smokin' Joe is an ok player but I didn't hear anything that exited me. B'Nois King was very tastefull and emotional sounding.

Catch Smokin' Joe Bonamassa if you get a chance. He really smokes. He's a child protegy on guitar and surfaced as a young kid on the talent show Star Search. I caught him in my area a few years ago and what a player!!

Originally posted by LeftyBlues:

Hey Pick, you're right that some nights are just off. Too bad it wasn't truly smokin', but a night of "just OK" blues still beats staying home and watching Fear Factor, eh?

I gotta agree, and I wanna say that it was better than "just okay". Smokin' Joe was okay, but B'nois King was outstanding and the rest of the band were very good. They did a boogie that really did get me rockin', and whenever King took a solo, he shined bigtime.

It was definitely worth seeing, and I'd go again just to hear B'nois.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

Picker, my take on Smokin' Joe is the same as yours. Iv'e only seen him once and it was years ago. B'Nois King was awesome and Kubek was just kind of there. Smokin' Joe is an ok player but I didn't hear anything that exited me. B'Nois King was very tastefull and emotional sounding.

Yeah, I'd have to say pretty much the same, though I feel a little sheepish about putting him down.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Lancer:

Catch Smokin' Joe Bonamassa if you get a chance. He really smokes. He's a child protegy on guitar and surfaced as a young kid on the talent show Star Search. I caught him in my area a few years ago and what a player!!

He started playing at the ripe old age of FOUR and when he was 12, B.B. King asked him to open a show for him! "Gee BB, I'd love to but we're playing dodgeball in gym class that day!!!" 12! Joe's playing two night's at Gilly's in Dayton OH next week, I might have to just suck it up and go see him.

Bonamossa and his band seem like regular guys too. Had a chance to chat with them before one of their Grand Emporium shows.

Back when it really WAS the Grand Emporium...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I learned about Joe Bonamassa from a colleague of mine at work who lives near and knows Joe and his Dad Lenny from the Clinton, N.Y. area (near Utica). As indicated, I caught Joe several years ago and he smokes. He is also very down to earth and easy to talk to. I know he's on tour and has a contract I believe with SONY. He has toured in the past with famous groups e.g. Jethro Tull and has more recently headlined many of his own shows. Yes, as I young kid he did perform with greats like BB King, Danny Gatton and others.

Warning: After I heard Joe Play, I felt a bit demasculated from a guitar playing standpoint. However, it also gave me some inspiration to improve further.

Archived