Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

power amplifier?

Connally

I've got a question about using a rack mount amplifier. Or if I should even use one.

mesa boogie makes a tube power amplifier that I am interested in.

I have a line 6 pod xt pro, bbe sonic, and a 5150 combo, i have a half stack sitting in the garage.

should i go with a tube power amp or just keep using the combo?

would there be a difference in sound quality?

i already know that i could get a rack mount and it would be alot more convenient having that setup but i am worried about any setbacks if any.

any advice on this particular setup would be greatly appreciated.

Dallas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess it would IF you are happy with the POD? I personally never thought the POD was very useable in a live stage situation, but that's just me. I would think you would want a tube preamp because that is where most of your tone is developed. Anyways just my opinion and the other guys on here are much better at technical things than I am.

I'm guessing the Pod thru the Mesa would be cleaner(if that matters), only because you're bypassing the combo's input preamp(related gain mismatches and noise.. and unnecessary with the Pod). I took my Pod out for several live jobs a couple of years ago, and when amp models and voices were established and saved earlier, it was as easy to tweak as a regular amp. The footboard is a must, however. I plugged the Pod directly into a Crown 150 to a 2x12 cabinet. No problems.

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Two things...

first, I don't know whyy anyone wants to use rack mounted anything.... big and heavy, to no purpose. It makes little to no sense for the average guy.

Second, if you really like the pod, there is a company that makes a 50 watt power amp with speaker that has a place that allows the pod to fit right into it. It uses the pod as a preamp. Probably just what you are looking for.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

If the combo has an FX loop, plug the POD in its return jack and you'll get the same result you'd get with the MB power amp without spending new $...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:thu::thu::thu::thu:;)

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Archived