Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transformer rewinding

paully

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're saying that the V4 transformers aren't available? I knew that the stuff from the 60s were hard to find, but I didn't realise that the 70s xformers were getting hard to find.

Sowter, Jensen, etc don't have a replacement?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Hey Bill,

I'm trying to help a guy on another forum. The best he could find was a unit from Mercury for $400. I thought rewinding might be an option. These are high voltage units, and Jensen didn't even come close. Does Sowter have a link that you know of? Thanks, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

I just know that transformers are an endangered species, and that a custom wound transformer is going to be darned expensive. I don't see how a one-off custom winding could be cheaper than an off-the shelf product, but you never know. I know a few guys who wind their own output transformers, but they continue to buy their power transformers even though they are set up to wind transformers. But maybe I just know the wrong people.

I have not relt with Sowter personally, and I have no link. But over on gearslutz there are guys who put together bulk orders for building things (like, 20 guys will decide to build a given vintage preamp from scratch, and order custom circuit cards, transformers, etc.) and I'm sure someone there could put you in touch. There is another company who has always advertised in the backs of the trades... it is a germanish name with an R but I can't think of the name right now. Another option would be TAB Funkenwerk, I know that they are winding their own vintage transformers for their copies of the old Telkefunken gear... even to the point of making their own shelac from bug husks to match the original. But again, that is probably going to be a costly option.

Sorry I'm not more up on this stuff, but large format power transformers aren't something that I deal with these days.

One other thought would be those newer Ampeg pages that is some kind of sales/service of the vintage stuff... google ampeg +repair and you may get to them. But I'd still expect them to be expensive.

I had to replace a transformer in a guitar amp a long, long time ago (like more than 25 years) and the replacement transformer was, as I remember, about $189.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Bill,

Actually, the guy I'm trying to help posted on the UsedAmpeg forum, and Gearslutz also has the question from me. :D:D I guess he's gonna have to pony up for a new one. Even Craig A. didn't have a suggestion. Thanks again, Paul

Hey VG,

Thanks for the link. They pretty much carry Stancor stuff. Stancore used to make great, high voltage transformers, but no more. The V4 needs 500-550 on the secondary, and Stancor now stops at 250 VAC. I did bookmark the site, though. Their prices are certainly reasonable. The Mercury rebuild looks like the guy's best(and only) shot.

Thanks again, Paul

I had to look them up, because I though that Hammond went out of business 5 or 6 years ago or more. Nope, still going strong.

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived