Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Female needs help with ME-50 !

cfcfan

I have a Marshall AVT275, Fender strat USA series and use the Boss ME-50 fx processor. The other guitarist in our band has exactly the same equipment as me apart from the fx processor. He uses a Boss GT6 and goes through the fx loop whereas I go through the front of my amp. Never been a problem until this week when we needed to turn the volume up a notch to match our new drummer who is a lot louder than the previous one.

When I turned my volume up to match the other guitarist I got awful feedback so I tried going through the fx loop. Seemed great until I introduced the tremelo which was so weak it wasn't noticeable and my programmed banks that had distortion/overdrive were all clean??

I have been to 3 music shops and each adviser has given me a different set up, including connecting the send from the rear of the amp to the input on the front of the amp with the fx loop returns connected to the ME-50 outputs. If I didn't have the sense to turn all volumes down beforehand the high pitched sound that came out as I went to turn up might well have deafened me so God knows what it would have done to the amp!

Any suggestions? Please bear in mind the following:

It is nothing to do with single coil pickups as the other guitarist has the same. I do not have the master volume on ME-50 too high. I have contacted Roland/Boss customer support and finally, I am not technically minded so an idiots guide will be appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place, just the wrong guy responded. :D I don't own either of the fx units you mentioned, but rest assured someone here will, and will have the proper setup info. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

"Any suggestions?"

Two.

First, smack the new drummer in the head until he plays softer. Any blunt object will do, but a 2 foot length of schedule 40 black gas pipe seems to get their attention. :eek:;)

Then, return to your original setup, the one that worked before you got the drummer who is too loud.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

i am no expert, but i wonder if his GT6 has a feedback suppressor? maybe your preamp tube is microphonic? did you try playing your guitar and FX through his amp and set it the same to see if the FX is the guilty party? seeing you have similar gear it should be fairly easy to find what part of your rig is causing this. even identical guitars may act differently. M'kay?

just keep swapping things until something shows itself as the culprit.

i have had feedback generated by loose parts in close proximity to the pickup. my former "tele" had a vibrating bridge that caused feedback.

and you both have different settings i assume, maybe you have more treble dialed up and it has only shown problems when using higher volume.

My suggestion is to simplify. Hell, with that amp why do you even need an effects processor? It has four foot-switchable channels and 16 effects built in! That's more sounds than I can remember ever using in my life (I'm 44). I say chuck the ME-50 and let your ass-kicking amp do all the work. Remember 90% of your tone lies in the little grippy things at the ends of your arms. Try plugging in direct.
All gods are imaginary

Originally posted by Scone Mason:

My suggestion is to simplify. Hell, with that amp why do you even need an effects processor? It has four foot-switchable channels and 16 effects built in! That's more sounds than I can remember ever using in my life (I'm 44). I say chuck the ME-50 and let your ass-kicking amp do all the work. Remember 90% of your tone lies in the little grippy things at the ends of your arms. Try plugging in direct.

True dat! :thu: Get a Plexi and point it at the drummer then knock em in the head. :D
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hi cfcfan, welcome to the forum. One thing you might check is to see if the patches you are using have a lot of compression by default. Some of the effects processors I've tried have patches setup so they sound really great through headphones, but at volume have too much compression. If there is a compressor in the patch dial it way back or turn it off and try it again. If you want the compressor bring it up in increments till it sounds like you want.

This may not be the case, but I've seen it happen with the old Digitech GSP21.

Good Luck,

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

I have the ME-33, had the same problem with the comression for my lead sounds. All kinds of crazy noise was coming out of the amp every time I touched the strings. One thing I like to do is keep the volume pedal function at the ready, the minute I get any transient wail I hit the pedal, really saves your ears.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Caputo:

I also agree with plugging in direct and pointing the Amp at the drummer

That will only make him play louder.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

The only thing you can do is to stuff his drums full of rags. Or put one of the shock collar things on him like you use to train dogs. Every time he starts getting too loud again, you just zap him with the shock collar. I know, I know...those are intended for dogs...but drummers are almost as smart. They can be trained, it just takes a little longer.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

The only thing you can do is to stuff his drums full of rags. Or put one of the shock collar things on him like you use to train dogs. Every time he starts getting too loud again, you just zap him with the shock collar. I know, I know...those are intended for dogs...but drummers are almost as smart. They can be trained, it just takes a little longer.

Are we talkin' smart dogs, like Shepherds, Labs, and Dobes, or dumb drool faucets, like ....breeds I shouldn't mention....'cuz somebody'll get pissy? http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/926.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Marshall has 3 suggestions for the FX insert point of your amp.

1) Set amp FX level to -10.

2) Use high quality, shielded cables to and from

3) Not the proper effect patch point for wah, distortion, overdrive and fuzz. Better at front.

As mentioned earlier, compression can really screw things up if the levels aren't perfectly matched. You're also effectivly raising the level of anything added by the input section of the amp itself. I just went through a lengthly discussion about the same topic(different stomp effect) on a different forum. Lowering compression or eliminating it really help his feedback threshhold. Yah, also aim the amp at the drummer.

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

if it worked before, it should work now - if the drummer is messing with your sound (and he is, making you play too loud), tell him to play softer or hit the street (pun intended)
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Hi all,

appreciate the replies but I have tried all of what you suggest. I have swapped equipment with other guitarist, tried other guitars with humbucker/twin pick ups, adjusted compressor etc and also the same amp settings.

Why do I use an fx processor?

Because a) our own material requires me to use a multitude of effects. b) In my opinion the Marshall fx are not that great (used to have a Crate) c) Instead of fiddling about with knobs and tap dancing on a variety of pedals during live performances I have everything in front of me and can concentrate on playing!

As for the drummer; he is not exceptionally loud, the last one was too light. No way do I want him quieter.........he really drives the band along.

Thanks for your replies.

Archived