Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calavera is thinking!!!

Calavera

Greetings folks, this is a philosophical question:

-My guitar has the Buzz Feiten system so i need to buy a tuner, Korg dt-7 ($90)was the first choice then finds out the Peterson family ($200+). while i was trying to decide this question comes to me:

Why am i going to buy expensive equipment if i'm just learning and i don't know what i'll be doing in the future? (with my guitar, of course).

It will be nice to go to college and become a profesional guitarist(just for the sake of really know how to play), but then again;

should i ever be making a living out of this?

Don't get me wrong, i love guitar and i'd love to have the best gear out there, but i'm poor, have 2 kids and just found out that my first one (boy 3 yrs old) is autistic (one more reason to play guitar, autistic kids develop a special attachment to music) so i'm thinking that i should expent all that money in my family and just buy cheap stuff, cause anyway(at least at the beginning) i'll be playing in my bedroom.

Conclusion:

i have seen so many guitar players working at music stores(not making too much ,i guess...) that i'm wondering:

-should i buy good gear?

-is there any hope of making a living playing guitar?,(not thinking about being rich and famous) just make a decent living enjoying something that i love

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
making a living might be hard..."good gear" depends on what you feel "good gear" is. Your best guess should be in the $600-800 price range, cheaper if used. You can get some very high quality schecters, for example, in that range. Nothing super fancy like a PRS or Gibson, but a quality instrument that will last and you can be proud of and can take to gigs. Get a (solid state?) amp combo in the same price range, maybe a bit higher if you're serious about gigging and maybe one or two effect pedals (cheap ones like danelectros and or Boss DS/SD units) and you're set. You'll get great sound and not get poor in the process.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

from all the stories ive heard, unless you get super lucky, you dont play in a band for the money.

gear wise it sounds like your aimin too high in PRICE. you can get good quality stuff for cheap, you just gotta look and read reviews.

My tuner costs me $30, its a boss TU-80 and works good enough for what i need it for. 70 bukcs sounds like too much to me, for your applications.

Im not sure on the rest of your gear, but yea my solid state crate is 65 watts, i think it was $280 but that was awhile ago, its loud enough and im sure you can find a better deal used or on ebay for something like that.

well, he was talking about buzz feiten compatible tuners. Those are expensive...however i'm think there are methods out there to tune a buzz feiten guitar by ear or similar. Don't quote me on it though.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Originally posted by Calavera:

Greetings folks, this is a philosophical question:

-My guitar has the Buzz Feiten system so i need to buy a tuner, Korg dt-7 ($90)was the first choice then finds out the Peterson family ($200+). while i was trying to decide this question comes to me:

Why am i going to buy expensive equipment ...

My take on it.... buy good gear once, then stop shopping. Buy the good guitar, the good tuner, the good stand, buy a bag of picks, and that guitar trainer that I told you about, and stop right there until you have found a real NEED for something else.

The Peterson StroboStomp might be your answer. It is under $200. Not having that tuning system on any of my guitars, I have not researched options.

You can buy good stuff once, or spend the next 20 years buying thousands of dollars of crap, one cheap piece at a time.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Bill is right. I've got instruments I've had over 30 years, and they still play great. Nobody needs innumerable guitars and amps, and it seems that your present obligations preclude that, but do get a good one of each. We're here for any and all advice you'll need. No matter what piece of gear you are curious about, someone here will be able to offer guidance.

Good luck with your son.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Thanks all for your replies, really appreciate them. You guys hit the spot, that sounds like the best idea.

btw, i just got my guitar today, you should have seen my kid, he went ballistic!!! :)

she's a washburn wi64 natural distressed, such a beauty, pictures don't do her justice

Hey, congrats, and welcome to the guitar club!

Yeah, I agree with Bill and Reif; while you don't need to spend insane amounts of money, make sure that you "get what you pay for" with what you do buy, and as Bill put it, "buy good stuff once".

_____________________ Schweedt!! :cool:

___________________ http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/idol/images/idol_wi64nd.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived