Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well, now I've done it!

Basshappi

After 25+ years playing bass, I bought a guitar!

Don't tell the guys over at the Lowdown or they might kick me out of the lodge! :D

I bought a Agile AL2500 from one of the members of the Agile guitar forum were I am also a regular. It is a lefty Les Paul style guitar with a beautiful amber flame maple top.The prior owner modified it with an aluminum tailpiece and custom wound pickups by Highorder .

I picked up a HS case and a V-amp2(so I wouldn't torture my family whilst learning to play). When(if) I get good enough to play without totally embarassing myself, I'll go amp shopping.

In the mean time I've been enjoying figuring out little bits and pieces of songs and trying to scrunch my fingers into strange contortions as demostrated in the "Guitar for Beginners" books. :D

Cheers! :wave:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by basshappi:

...trying to scrunch my fingers into strange contortions as demostrated in the "Guitar for Beginners" books. :D

Yeah, I've always found that bit difficult when going from guitar to bass. It's a bit like having to wear shoes after a long, barefoot Summer.

*When(if) I get good enough to play without totally embarassing myself, I'll go amp shopping*

Dahhhh I find playing scales up and down the neck for 2 hours with the amp cranked right up quite satisfying (mainly because the neighbours are idiots) I also find that if I think other people can here me practice, I tend to try that little bit harder ;)

http://users.pandora.be/NitrodusT/Alizee.gif

One free ride for first guitar purchase.

Please wipe off ride when done thank you.

Wha no pics of the new ax?

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

basshappi, that's great!

Welcome to both the guitar-club, and the Les Paul stylee lodge! :cool:

And all this time I thought that your display-name meant that you were really into fishin', or those battery-powered Loud-Mouth Bass gags... :D:thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm going to te-ellllll, I'm going to te-ellllll....

Actually, I went the other way... I started on guitar and added bass. It never hurts to have a little depth, ya know?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Thanks everyone.

I don't have a way of posting an image. But here is the link on the Agile Forum where I announced my aquisition. The forumite who sold it to me posted a picture he had.

I call her \'Amber\'

Well, as long as the URL's valid:

basshappi's new lefty Les Paul stylee Agile

http://leftee.net/images/agile1.JPG

:cool::love:Schweedt!! :love::thu:

Nice lookin' axe, there.

I've got to check out one of these Agiles sometime, myself, to see just what they're like.

What did it come strung-up with and set-up for?

May I suggest that you try a set of DR "Pure Blues" solid pure nickel-wrap wound on round-core stings on her? They're my favorite strings for a Les Paul style axe, after trying a few different brands and types, including Gibson's own "Les Paul" sets. Perfect for a guitar like yours! The round-cores on the wound strings really makes a difference, and a good one.

If you want a little bit brighter, biting, mo' modern tone, DR also has the same basic design 'n' construction with nickel-pated steel-alloy windings, in their "Tite Fit" sets.

Being a regular bass-player, you might even like the gauges that I like best: .011" through .050". But at least try the "tens", instead of "nines"...

http://leftee.net/images/agile1.JPG

Wow, basshappi, not only did you join me on "the dark side" :evil: ... but you even bought one of my guitars! Seriously, I started on bass then picked up guitar several years later. My first electric guitar was a right-handed Gibson Les Paul Classic with the exact same transparent amber finish as yours. Seriously, your Agile is a mirror image of my Paul, except for the logo, pickgaurd and pickups (I never installed my pickgaurd and my pickups are solid black 496R and 500T's instead of your cool zebra pickups). Nice axe man.

BTW, like Caevan I string my Les Paul with 0.011's. Except mine are Power Slinky's, and I use 'em on all my electrics.

Hey, basshappi, are those Dunlop Strap Loks on that Agile? I've got those on both of my LP's, too; excellent addition, wouldn't want to be without 'em!

Originally posted by jrob:

"BTW, like Caevan I string my Les Paul with 0.011's. Except mine are Power Slinky's, and I use 'em on all my electrics."

Man, jrob, try those DR "Tight Fit" nickel-plated or "Pure Blues" solid-nickel "eleven"-sets on your Les Paul; their gauges are similar to those in your EB Power Slinkys (I think the .050" 6th/"Low-E" is the only difference), but their round-core, compression-wound design really does make a difference. I'll be surprised if you don't agree with me once you've given them a shot.

Ernie Ball strings are great, and paved the way for the industry, but these DR "Pure Blues" are so damn perfect for a Les Paul! Just ask Warren Haynes...

Sorry to be such a DR pimp, I just won't put anything else on either of my LP's, I'm so satisfied with 'em. Maybe I'd try something else if I was stringing another, different axe; but these DR's suit the LP's just right.

Thanks again guys and thank you Caevan for posting her picture.Funny thing, I've never named an instrument before, but the seller and I keep refering to it as "Amber" during our PM's and the name just struck me as appropriate somehow. :love:

The strings are Snake Oil - Rock Formula . They are an .09 set (I don't know the exact gauges). They sound good but I was thinking of getting some thicker strings. Of course to me all the strings feel incredibly thin, but I do have a bit of trouble feeling the bottom two strings.

I have taken the pickguard off because the top is so pretty I wanted to see it all and I find that with it off I can hook my pinky around the bridge pup ring.

No, there are no straplocks on her yet. But the buttons are quite large and it will be awhile before I start playing behind my head, swinging her over my shoulder and jumping off Marshall stacks , I should be okay. :D But rest assured if I ever get to playing her on stage she will get a set.

Originally posted by Caevan_O'Shite:

Man, jrob, try those DR "Tight Fit" nickel-plated or "Pure Blues" solid-nickel "eleven"-sets on your Les Paul; their gauges are similar to those in your EB Power Slinkys (I think the .050" 6th/"Low-E" is the only difference), but their round-core, compression-wound design really does make a difference. I'll be surprised if you don't agree with me once you've given them a shot.

Ernie Ball strings are great, and paved the way for the industry, but these DR "Pure Blues" are so damn perfect for a Les Paul! Just ask Warren Haynes...

I've used just about every brand of string out there, and I keep coming back to Slinky's. Not because they are the "best", but because I can't tell that anything is better. Slinky's are generally the most affordable and widely available strings on the market in my experience. About two years ago, I decided to string all three of my electrics with Power Slinky's to make my guitar collection easier to manage. If I stick with one brand and one gauge for all my instruments, then it minimizes my setup time because I'm only doing minor tweaks instead of a complete set up job after changing to a new brand/gauge of string. I would have to hear and feel a major difference before I switched.

Cool, I can certainly understand that!

basshappi- do you play fingerstyle on bass? If so, and you transfer that over to the guitar as well, you'll be ahead of the game, and have a more unique style and sound, to boot!

Archived