Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question regarding string gauges and different tensions

Tesha

Hello,

I am wondering why a set of electric guitar strings has so much difference in the string-tension.

I currently use a set called "Light top, heavy bottom", consisting of the gauges 010, 013, 017, 030, 042 and 052. I'm not referring to this particular set as I've noticed this on any other gauge combination so far. I play a Strat.

Using equal force, the first string bends 2 semitones, the second 3 semitones and the third 4 semitones. The fourth to sixth are more or less 2 semitones. The third string, being the one with the least tension by far, also sounds the worst at higher frets.

What is your knowledge on this matter? Do light to medium sets with equal tension exist?

Thanks, Jes

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yes, come see Pappy's latest archeological find! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/061.gifBring hammers, chisels, dusters, and carbon 14 dating equipment! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/059.gif
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Hi Pappy,

Thanks for inviting me to your thread. Unfortunately my original question does not get answered.

I'm not wondering what gauge to use. My first string is a 010 and that's just fine for me. I would like to know why string-sets don't have equal tension. The third string is never as tight as the first and on higher frets it starts to wobble. I wish that all my strings would sing as nicely as my second 013.

Does anyone have an explanation? Otherwise I'd have to directly contact a manufacturer.

Thanks, Jes

Originally posted by Tesha:

Hi Pappy,

Thanks for inviting me to your thread. Unfortunately my original question does not get answered.

I'm not wondering what gauge to use. My first string is a 010 and that's just fine for me. I would like to know why string-sets don't have equal tension. The third string is never as tight as the first and on higher frets it starts to wobble. I wish that all my strings would sing as nicely as my second 013.

Does anyone have an explanation? Otherwise I'd have to directly contact a manufacturer.

Thanks, Jes

Maybe you could experiment by purchasing several different gauge G strings and swap them out until you find one that has a more desirable tension relative to the other strings. Eventually you would arrive at a combination of gauges that work best for you.

Archived