Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Handin it to the Hip-Hoppers

skipclone 1

Yup, gotta hand it to those guys (and girls). Not because I care for most of the music-I don`t. But almost right from the start, at the point where most rockers and a lot of people in other genres were getting totally taken to the cleaners and leaving without any clothes, thanks to ripoff contracts and unscrupulous industry scum, the successful hip-hoppers have not only made out big time cash-wise (I don`t know how many of you saw the bling-bling contest between Bow Wow and Paris Hilton on TV but it was pretty disgusting), not only have they apparently gotten all the benefits due them and more, but through (legal) sampling they have been able to throw some of that windfall back to an earlier generation that in many cases got totally fleeced by corporate interests in their time. Some trick. I`m not much into the music like I say, but when you`re good you`re good.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by skipclone 1:

But almost right from the start, at the point where most rockers and a lot of people in other genres were getting totally taken to the cleaners and leaving without any clothes, thanks to ripoff contracts and unscrupulous industry scum, the successful hip-hoppers have not only made out big time cash-wise

Well, I'd say the operative word here is "succesful". I have no reason to believe that unsuccesful hip hoppers get any less ripped off than unsuccesful rockers do.

On the other hand, I think the hip hop crowd has been level headed, realistic and, frankly, pretty clever in theiir ditching of all sorts of romantic baggage (such as the "bohemian artist" thing, the "counter culture" trip and so on).

They apparently see nothing wrong in branching out into clothing and accessories and so on, stuff which the rock world has never really given much thought.

I really don't know what to make of hip hop. Mostly, I don't like it. I dislike it with a vengeance. But there's an Italian rapper I quite like, but he just... raps. About all sorts of things, and doesn't do the Gangsta Rap shit at all. So maybe I wouldn't mind Hip Hop if it was about stuff I could relate to.

Well not all hip hop is gangsta-just some of the most annoying of it. One group I kinda miss is Arrested Development. That guy Speech had some insightful, cleverly worded and positive things to say.

But even the marketing is ingenious-the stuff is so popular that radio would rather put on songs where half the lyrics are deleted. If you want the original version you have to buy the CD. Compare that to the ridiculous euphemisms that so many bands have had to come up with to get airplay.

Well not all hip hop is gangsta-just some of the most annoying of it.

Yeah, I'm not too brilliant at telling one strand from another. :(

But even the marketing is ingenious-the stuff is so popular that radio would rather put on songs where half the lyrics are deleted. If you want the original version you have to buy the CD.

In your opinion, is it worth the trouble? Or is it just kids going "hehehee! he said 'ho'"? in a Beavis and Butthead kind of way?

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Well not all hip hop is gangsta-just some of the most annoying of it.

Yeah, I'm not too brilliant at telling one strand from another. :(

But even the marketing is ingenious-the stuff is so popular that radio would rather put on songs where half the lyrics are deleted. If you want the original version you have to buy the CD.

In your opinion, is it worth the trouble? Or is it just kids going "hehehee! he said 'ho'"? in a Beavis and Butthead kind of way?
Is it worth the trouble-no, not to fill up a whole CD-let alone a whole career-with that kind of stuff. Anyway if the kids are buying the original CDs they`re getting a lot more than 1/3 of Santa laughing. I`m just saying, the way those guys have gone about getting their stuff out there is effective.

Archived