Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John McLaughlin Question

Kramer Ferrington III.

I've recently seen (here?) a picture of John McLaughlin sitting on a rug and playing acoustic guitar with some Indian tablas player.

What was that all about? Who's the guy, is there a record to go with the picture and is it enjoyable enough to buy? And if there's more than one record, which one should I go for?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this is during his Shakti period. Go to his site, it is a really cool one.

Ther was some amazing playing that came out of that period, some cool solo trade offs. Incidentally on the Clapton Crossroads DVD there is a section with him and Dennis Chambers and a tabla player.

I really liked the Shakti stuff myself.

man i saw SHAKTI here in SF back when they 1st came out @ GreatAmericanMusicHall and it was an exilerating night of fusion er whatever that flavor is called these days...

there were so many key changes and shifting modalities and tempos-everyone in the place was mesmerized...

i remember when Mclaughlin was tuning he went into this cliche blues riff and everybody laffed it was so outside from what they were playin that nite of wonderment.

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Yes, some of the best tabla players are flat out incredible drummers!

And then there's guys like Elvin Jones, who played with Coltrane in the quartet with McCoy Tyner and Jimmy Garrison, who played jazz but were influenced by African and Indian drummers.. I gave "A Love Supreme" a listen over the long weekend and what Elvin was doin' was unbelievable!

Archived