Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat or Les Paul?

DH1092

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a personal decision. Know what tough? You've narrowed it down to the two best options.

I prefer the Les Paul and own a couple of them, but as Lee says, I also wanted and bought a Strat.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

You might compare the choice between a Les Paul and a Strat to the choice between an automatic or a manual transmission on a car. The Les Paul is like a muscle car with an automatic transmission. It's easy to use and it never sounds bad, but it's ultimately a one-trick-pony. A Strat is more like a sportscar with a manual transmission. It does more things well than a Les Paul, but it requires more maintanence and more finesse. I own both. Right now, my Strat sees much more action than the Les Paul. A few years from now, it might be the Les Paul again.

The choice is really yours. What music do you like? Which guitarists? Have you played both axes? What is your budget? Why limit yourself to those two guitars? Why exclude the Fender Tele? Why exclude PRS (especially since PRS guitars were designed to be a compromise between Strats and Les Pauls)? What about P-90 equiped Les Pauls or humbucker equiped Strats?

Originally posted by DH1092:

Do they sound alot diffrent?

Yes... they sound different due to their design/construction differences. The biggest factor is the 3 single coil pickups on the Strat vs the dual humbuckers on most LPs. But as others have stated, there are alternatives that incorporate the best of both.

In my opinion, the best way to decide is for you to go down to your local music shop and spend some time playing both types of instruments. In addition to different sounds, the guitars have very different feels to them. They have different scale lengths which makes a difference also. After a while, it will be clear which you prefer - at least for now!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Actually, while these have Bcome the main archtypes of electrics they R not the only flavors.

Could B U might prefer some other guitar, either a different Gibson or Fender model or something else like a Rickenbaker or whathaveyou...

As pointed out, it's largely a matter of personal preference for how an instrument feels or sounds (& that's something that is not even constant, anysingle guitar will have a variety of sounds you can get from it).

The truth is your best method of making a choiceisn't to ask strangers 2 make the decision of which is best but 2 get some guitars N your hands & see which one's you like.

I especially suggest that you try not just different models but differnet individual guitars of each type.

They simply R all not alike.

If U make a choice based on just what someone tells you is "best" & then it somehow doesn't seem good 2 you, you may B so disappointed you chuck playing altogether.

This is an Xtreme comparison (& I mean no insult 2 your beginner's instinct 2 seek advice) but it's almost like asking, "Should I chose apple or chocolate?".

Only U really can tell what U will like/need.

DH, if you like Hendrix - as your avatar would seem to imply - you might want to start with the Strat. personally, I started off with a Les Paul clone but moved to a Strat. The Strat's longer scale and single coils give it a brighter sound, which I like. Generally, people say the Les Paul has a chunkier sound. Of course, you can get Les Paul with single coils (like a Gold Top with P-90s) or a Strat with Hot Rail humbuckers.

Some (heavily) simplify the difference between them as "Strats have a better clean sound and Les Pauls have a better distorted sound." To an extent; it will apply less as you advance on guitar however.

You may try "super-strats," which have single coils (like a Stratocaster) in the neck for clean sounds and a humbucker (Les Paul) in the bridge for distortion. I don't see many serious players using them however.

i won't suggest a pick for you but i will explain a few of the differences in each.

strat:

longer scale 25.5 inches, adds to the twangy tone, can make it feel stiffer and gives a percussive nature to the tone.

3 single coils with 5 way switch: many usefull tone options, great cleans are the speciality but distortion is good too through the right amp.

bolt on neck and heavily contoured body with deep cutouts for upper fret access.

the bolt on neck makes it easy to replace or modify. it also adds to the twanginess.

great guitars that fit like a glove and probably the ultimate design if loaded with a humbucker in the bridge postion. there are tons of great players using the strat formula (bolt on neck, 5 way switch, 25.5 inch scale, and three pickups)

Les Paul:

short scale 24.75 inches makes it easier to play to a certain extent as well as add warmth to the tone.

set neck, adds warmth and smoothness to the sound.

mahogany body and neck are a very warm sounding combo with nice sustain and resonance.

dual humbuckers with a three way switch.

great warm tones and a real treat for distorted sounds. you can get good clean tones by using the separate tones and volume controls when mixing the 2 pickups in the middle setting.

the single cutaway body makes upper fret playing more cramped.

all of this talk of general tone and sound is relative to how well these guitars are built and what parts are used.

there is no perfect choice, one of these guitar may "sing" to you and make the other pale in comparison.

there are so many varieties of each and that is where it can get confusing.

and the only rule is ..there are no rules.

country on a LP? no problem.

hard rock with a strat? not a problem.

what types of sounds, artists do you like?

that is a good place to start in choosing a guitar. but to make it worse, the amp is a big factor in the tone.

i hope i have helped you a little.

Originally posted by DH1092:

Do they sound alot diffrent?

They most certaily do.

A lot of good advice posted here so far, including the bit about if Jimi Hendrix is in your avatar, a strat's a good plan.

I personally find that Gibsons types (such as the Les Paul) with their shorter scale lengths etc. are easier to get an expressive response from when playing lead softly, whereas strats can get this heavenly bell like tone when you hit them real hard a la SRV.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Just listen to records featuring both and decide which tone you like better.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Well to be honest, when I started out this was the big question for me as well, but I did not have an ear for tone whatsoever, and had no experience to draw from if I played one or the other in a shop, so playing either didn't help me at all. What I ended up doing was finding out what kind of guitar music I really liked, and then getting THAT guitar. I was heavy into Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Hendrix (Strats all).......but I also dug B.B.King and John Lee Hooker (humbucker pickups). I opted for the Strat, and to be honest, it took me awhile to get used to it's brightness, but now I love it. All I can suggest is to listen carefully to who you like. Not all of us can afford to have a couple of guitars laying around...or wives who would let us. ;)
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

New poster here...

After 6 years with my strat, I traded it in on a Les Paul standard. I just needed some more bottom end and I couldn't get it from my strat (with stock PU's). Could I have gone with a new PU set and heavier strings? Sure, but I wanted to keep it stock. Good thing too, I got 6 years of use and 50% back of what I paid for it.

I love the LP now. Nice bottom end, good, crunchy chords and of course, nice leads. I can almost hit a strat tone on the bridge with the tone cranked.

The only thing I miss alot is that sweet maple neck with the low action...man could you fly on this neck :)

Good advice given by all above. What you want to play can make a difference on your choice. Go to the stores and play. Get what FEELS right to you...amps and pedals can help change your stock tone.

Originally posted by jrob:

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

I like your electro acoustic though.

Bill

There's nothing "electro" about that guitar. It's a late 40's era LG1.
That was a joke, because of the zip cord beind the guitar. and you've cleaned up the picture since then. I can't see the end of the extension cord anymore. :)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I used to own a Les Paul, but for someone with my build, it was too heavy and looked way too big on me, so now my purchases are strictly Strats and Superstrats. I guess its all based on preference and the feel of it. I like to play sitting alot since I'm not a gigging musician, so compared to sitting down with a Les Paul which was killer for me, I liked the feel of the Strat much more. Maybe one day ill go look for a Les Paulish guitar thats lighter and a tab smaller. But for now, my Strat and my Soloist gives me more than enough tonal range than I can handle!

Imagine a 5'6" skinny asian person strapping a les paul, not too great! but the strat works just fine :)

Originally posted by lee83:

How about getting a semi-acoustic resonator :) I just got one, its pretty funky ;)

Photos?

What brand?

What scale length?

Sorry - it's just that now I've got a GAS hankering for a cheap version of one of those contraptions, but I want it in a 24 3/4" scale length.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Imagine a 5'6" skinny asian person strapping a les paul...

Oh, I imagine it's been done before... :D

I like Strats and Teles because Les Pauls make me feel like I should play them better than I can, then I try, screw up, get all tense, and it gets worse...Strats you can just bash on. I'd feel bad slapping duct tape on an LP the way I did my Strat! I used black tape because it blends in with my black pickguard, but use silver for more punk cred... :cool: )

Archived