Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha rgx-a2

comacoda

I just got back from playing this: http://www.guitarvibe.com/2006/02/yamaha_rgxa2.html and I have to say it is not a gimick. The guitar is incredibly light and resonant, the pickups are impressive in balance and responsiveness. This is a real guitar. The guitar is capable of so many wonderful tonal variations all from the same pickup position, very nuanced. Supernatural maybe. Wonderful bell tones at the neck and plenty of twang in the bridge in any pickup position. The guitar seriously makes an average guitar seem dead in comparison. This is very exciting! I can't say I like the styling, but this is a serious tone machine and could be the beginning of something new for yamaha. Here's some info on the construction: http://www.yamaha.ca/advertising/pma/RGX-A2%20web.mov
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like you could easily fit a pair of P-90 "soapbars" in there if you so desired; that might go well with the lightweight design's resonance.

It does have a very distinctive appearance; not necesarily ugly, but not warmly charming and endearing, either; a kinda "appliance" styling, I'd say...

If they'd make a similar axe with a more mildly retro/vintage vibe, it might fare better. It looks like it's mainly intemded to appeal to non-guitarists looking for a new guitar to try learning on; it's a Sharper-Image/Best-Buy/Electronics-Boutique store/catalog look, don'tcha think?

How'dja like the sound of the stock pickups and their various selector-knob options, comacoda? Any more detailed observations on specific settings?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, the stock pickups were very p90 sounding, a good thing I'd say. The neck position is bassy and full, the middle position is the highest output and slightly biased toward a neck rhythem feel. The bridge is kinda like a roided tele, bright with some grit. I played it on an epi valve jr, valve standard and a blues junior. The pickups are normal output and really don't sound like a typical humbucker, there are a lot of fenderish sounds in this guitar. I think that the stock pickups sounded really good, they kept making me ask if I was playing a single coil or humbucker guitar. :) The other features are kinda funky. There is no tone knob and the volume knob moves through its full range when turned only half the typical distance. Pretty different, that would require some aclimation. The pickup selector requires a good deal of effort to manipulate, a thumb and finger are required to turn the knob... The tuners were standard style and felt good, the cylindrical ones evidently only appear on the very earliest models. Pretty cool guitar! I like different and this certainely is. This guitar has the most variation in tone of any three way pickup selector guitar I have ever played. A lot of sounds in there depending on how you play it.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

I have had my eye on that guitar for awhile now.. I have thought about taking a look at it when it comes more readily available but I cant really justify it because I dont play the ones I have worth a darn... but I like the way it looks personally... Im interested enough to take a closer look at some point tho..
Eat a Peach for Peace..........

I love Yamaha guitars.

I like the pictures and the description.

I picked one up at Guitar Center, but put it right back down.

It was just too light, I didn't even try playing it. I know it's weird, but I want a heavy guitar.

Plus I think it's weird that they have a light emitting diode in the pick up selector switch. And it needs a nine volt to operate, I suppose so that it won't effect the guitar signal, I hope.

Archived