Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calavera needs help!!!

Calavera

i'd been wishing to learn how to play all my life, now i got stubborn and despite my age (34), i manage to convince my wife and yesterday bought this:

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-WI64D-i228324.music

i bought the "natural distressed" one. I hope i did make a good choice, i'd like to hear your opinion. My questions now are:

-what cable to buy?

-what effect box to buy? (tight budget...)

They told me to buy a effects box instead of amp, because i'll be practicing quietly(hearphones) at home, while i learn how to play. And to try to get as many sounds as posible. btw, my music is mostly classic rock and also fast stuff like metallica, slayer, etc.

Like i said it'll be long before i get into anything but my room, so what do you advice?

-One more question: is it true that guitar usually came with .9 strings and they break too easily? if that the case should i buy .10 or .11? and if so, changing the strings gauge will force me to get a new setup?

PS; is G-DEC something to consider, for a learning amp? or any of those combo-amps with effects

help please!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well congratulations Calavera! and welcome to the forum, you will get tons of help here with your playing and your equipment! Ok on the cable I like Monster Cables or Lava Cables both are high quality and will last you a lifetime! The .09 set will be ok for you now but as you get stronger you will want to to to .010 or .011 and yes you will need a reset when you do change. Your choice of guitars is fine and I'm sure you will get lots of fun out of it. To begin with maybe a multi effects processor will get you some different sounds to play with while you are learning, but I always like to have a amp, so concider that too. Yes I would say the little G-Dec should be concidered, My son has one and he brought it over so I did a little demo and put it on SoundClick (click on the SoundClick link at the bottom of this post and look for G-DEC demo... I just played around with it and you can get an idea, the drums and bass where supplied by the G-DEC built in facility. Good luck and check back with us when ever you have a question. Get ready for a most exciting journey with your playing!!! ...LEE in Detroit.

There is a device called a Guitar Trainer 1 (GT1) from Tascam, that is quite useful. Or you could go to GTPlayer software and get their PC software, and listen through your headphones.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have a Washburn and a Mac - what are you running a Mac or a PC? I don't even use an amp anymore - just Amp Simulators - I'm running AMPLITUBE and Logic Express right now - but if you have a Mac just plug your guitar into the Mac with a 1/4" > 1/8" adapter and use Garageband - loads of amp simulators and you can rock out! If you're on a PC then I pity you ;)

These computer Amp sims are great - I swear I have a Marshall stack under my desk right now somewhere.

And 34 - I have underwear older than you. I got em' from Bill.

"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Originally posted by strangedogs:

I have a Washburn and a Mac - what are you running a Mac or a PC? I don't even use an amp anymore - just Amp Simulators - I'm running AMPLITUBE and Logic Express right now - but if you have a Mac just plug your guitar into the Mac with a 1/4" > 1/8" adapter and use Garageband - loads of amp simulators and you can rock out! If you're on a PC then I pity you ;)

These computer Amp sims are great - I swear I have a Marshall stack under my desk right now somewhere.

If your on a PC congratualtions on the BEST choice! ;):wave:

Thanks a lot folks, i really appreciate your replies. This is such a journey and i'm utterly happy about it. i heard the guitar i chose was selected as the best under $1000 in the magazine, i try to find some kind of list in the website about what to buy, but couldn't find it.

I'm on pc, but don't despair, anyway my wife will kill me if she find me playing guitar sitting at the computer(i spend SOME time at the pc everyday...)

I'm going to do some research on what you gentz told me, i'll report here my findings.

Thanks again, blessings

Any name-brand digital multi-effect will be just fine. Two friends of mine recently purchased Digitech pedals and are both quite happy with them. Other good brands are Korg and Zoom. I've been practicing "quietly" thru a Korg Pandora PX3 for 5 or so years and it does the trick just fine. Some of the newer stuff have USB interfaces and recording s/w bundled as well. I suggest a decent pair of headphones as well, not a pair of $15 cheapies from your local x-mart.

But electric guitar is meant to be played through an amp so maybe the G-DEC is a good choice to start with. Check out the 15 and 30 watt VOX Valvtronics as well. They are priced in the same range as the Fender.

As a beginning guitarist I would stay with the 9s for strings since they will be a little easier on your fingers. As long as you tune to standard pitch and don't go too crazy with string bends or overly hard on the strumming, you shouldn't break too many. After a while you can decide if you want to go with heavier strings.

Oh yeah, I'm playing guitar at the PC all the time! When I'm on this board, my guitar is always on my lap. (can't you hear that descending A blues scale run???)

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

OK, i'm researching here and it seems the digitech RP-100 it's good but i'll probably go ZOOM 50511

http://www.music123.com/Zoom-505II-Multi-Effects-Guitar-Pedal-i40455.music

or one of those Behringer V-amp's, still got a lot of research to do, mostly because now i'm not sure if saving more money for a good multi-effects will do any good for me at this point. I think it'll be better to buy an inexpensive unit just to experiment with the posibbilities while i get to really learn.

More important is the fact that i need a TUNER, the korg DT-7 seems to be the only inexpensive one ($90) but the "PETERSON" family seems to be the really good ones, shall i save and buy a peterson?

The Zooms don't compare in sound to the Digitech, I bought both the Digi 200 and the Zoom 505. No contest. Also, the Zoom felt like junk.

I suggested the Tascam piece because it has effects and all that stuff, but it also allows you to jam along with a CD, and will slow down the CD (up to 50%) without changing the pitch, so you could get up to speed jaming with your favorites. It is NOT a replacement for a good multieffects device fr someone who is maybe playing out, but to learn, its not bad.

I tossed the Zoom, gave the RP-200 to my nephew. If that is the route you choose to go, go the RP, and having the pedal is worth the extra money on the jump from the 100 to the 200.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Excuse my ignorance, Bill. I didn't understand the benefits of playing a lick slowly, that idea (for the learning process) wasn't in my mind before, now i'm beginning to understand. I went to TASCAM website to read the specs and i'm impressed (its got like 57 effects)

But, i also fou=ind out there new one;

http://tascam.com/Products/ga100cd.html

i think i'll wait to buy this one...

Originally posted by Calavera:

Excuse my ignorance, Bill. I didn't

i think i'll wait to buy this one...

Well, maybe for you, not for me. In the first place, Tascam does not make guitar amps. So do I want to buy their first? I don't think so. Second, this violates one of your requirements... quiet practicing. Third, 60 watts is just way too damned loud for anything I'd need an amp to do. At home, 3 to 5 watts is probably plenty. I have a couple of >20 watt amps for use at home, and I haven't needed more that 30 watts in any club in which I would perform. On top of all of that, the little guitar trainer that I recommended is hardly larger than a book. You can take it anywhere, to any room in the house, and do your thing. Even sitting on the couch around the family, if need be.

But that is just my take on it from what you said that you needed.

Bill

Steve Martin

Hmmmm.... not to disagree with Bill on fx, but I had a Zoom 505 that I was very happy with. It suffred an accident that would have destroyed ANY pedal, and I A-B'd a Zoom 606 with its Digitech counterpart in the same store, and ended up selecting the 606. The Digitech was nice, had a drum machine of sorts built in, but I really preferred the tones of the 606. This may be due to familiarity with the settings from the 505. I would buy a Digitech as an addition to my fx chest, but not as a replacement for anything I currently own.

You are not yet at the level of experience where you'll need more than one such unit, Calavera, and you really can't go far wrong with either, or with units from Boss, Yamaha, etc. Just give them a listen, and get back to us here if you need more help.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

They told me to buy a effects box instead of amp, because i'll be practicing quietly(hearphones) at home, while i learn how to play. And to try to get as many sounds as posible. btw, my music is mostly classic rock and also fast stuff like metallica, slayer, etc.

Well, I'm not sure the shop guys are right.

If you're into classic rock... do you really want zillions of effects? Chances are you'll only want a couple of sounds (as in "clean" and "distorted") and not a lot else.

Secondly, most small amps come with a headphone socket anyway. I'd go for a small amp and, that way, you can have the best of both worlds.

There's nothing quite like playing with other people (and you don't have to be a genius to do that) and for that you'll need an amp. And yeah, there's a quality to the music you get when there's actually air moving around that you do NOT get with headphones, no matter how "realistic" they claim to be. I think it's essential to use an amp because at some stage you will need to learn how to deal with volume anyway. It's like the difference between playing on one of those arcade driving games and driving an actual car.

I spent years playing either through headphones or unplugged but, after getting a valve amp, there's almost no way I could go back to the headphones. I'd pretty much prefer not to play at all.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Well, I'm not sure the shop guys are right.

If you're into classic rock... do you really want zillions of effects? Chances are you'll only want a couple of sounds (as in "clean" and "distorted") and not a lot else.

Secondly, most small amps come with a headphone socket anyway. I'd go for a small amp and, that way, you can have the best of both worlds.

There's nothing quite like playing with other people (and you don't have to be a genius to do that) and for that you'll need an amp. And yeah, there's a quality to the music you get when there's actually air moving around that you do NOT get with headphones, no matter how "realistic" they claim to be. I think it's essential to use an amp because at some stage you will need to learn how to deal with volume anyway. It's like the difference between playing on one of those arcade driving games and driving an actual car.

I spent years playing either through headphones or unplugged but, after getting a valve amp, there's almost no way I could go back to the headphones. I'd pretty much prefer not to play at all.

I totally agree there. 90% of the effects on multi-effect boxes end up being pretty useless for me. I use them to tweak sound a bit, but most of the effects are closer to synths and overly shape (drown) the sound of the guitar. As far as the headphone thing goes...it feels a LOT different with them, and frankly most of the time I don't like the sound I get out of them. Although I have decent headphones, the sound I get out of them feels manufactured and you don't get a feel for it. I live in a college dorm right now, moving into an apartment this summer, so I have to keep it down too. Still, I'd much rather play with an amp at lower volumes. However, the guitar responds differently at loud/high gain volumes, so sometimes you'll need headphones to get loud and heavy and to do certain things like pinch harmonics or tapping (just doesn't work well on lower volumes). The guitar becomes more responsive, part of the reason why I have a very 'cramped' style is because I practice at low volume and actually *feel* like I have to press down on the string, while at high gain I barely tap them with the same result. The pracice amp I'm using right now is a Peavy Transtube 258EFX. It works well, VERY warm/tube-like sounding (in my opinion) and has the necessary base effects with headphone output. The distortion gets really muddy for rythm though, but with a Boss SD-1, you get a great classic rock sound out of it. Combine the SD-1 one with the tube-like distortion and you get a killer metal lead sound even from smaller amps at lower volume. A crate 65W (or lower) would be my other suggestion.

That is a VERY nice buy on the guitar though, looks like you got a great price too.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

i just got my guitar!!!!!!

i'm so happy because she turns out to be beautiful, light, comfortable and very well build.

Now i just need all the rest of the gear ;)

let us know...

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived