Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Allen Key Problem

The Geoff

I have Ibanez (DiMarzio) V2 pickups - very similar to SuperDistortions.

I'm trying to adjust the pole pieces, but none of my Allen Keys seem to fit - either too large or too small.

Does anyone know what size they are?

Has anyone tried taking a row of poles out of one of these to see what it sounds like?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Geoff B.:

I'm trying to adjust the pole pieces, but none of my Allen Keys seem to fit - either too large or too small.

I don't know but I had a similar problem with bridge saddles once. Bought a set of the smaller allen keys and it worked out fine. Some were almost as thin as a paper clip.

Why don't you take the guit to your hardware store? I'm sure the guys will have the right size (I mean, if IBANEZ has some, other people probably do too)

You might not be using a Standard Allen set. I have one that works, but I cannot read a size on it. I tried throwing a Metric vernier caliper on it and got 2.3mm so it is not a Metric wrench. Don't get thrown by the Floyd hardware which is Metric and is 3mm on the tuners and 2.5 on the saddles. For the Di Marzio try a small size Standard Allen like in those sets at Home Depot, there should be one that works in there.

This is what I have on my stuff, don't know if it is accurate for the stuff you have.

2.3 mm (not a standard metric allen key size), is realllllllly close to 3/32", which is a standard size of allan key.

5/64" is less than a hair smaller than 2.0 mm, both of which are standard sizes.

1/16" is just a wee bit larger than 1.5 mm, both of which are standard sizes.

The smallest allen key I have used on a regular basis is 0.050"

Using a too small allen key in a screw will eventually ruin both the screw and the allen key.

Typically, a Japanese, or at least southeast Asian instrument will be metric. This is not a hard and fast rule, but just a decent starting guess.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Yeah, my guess is that the DiMarzio is "Standard"/"English" sized, not Metric.

Although I'm also assuming that you've tried Metric Allen wrenches on it; if not, then try 'em!

Sometimes, built-up crud-of-the-ages can make for a dificult fit, too, as can being buggered-up by a previous wrench-weilder...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I think the Allens I have are all metric - we've been metric size tools over here for years.

I can confirm that 2mm is too small & 2.5mm is too large.

I must try and find a set of old imperial sized keys.

Thanks guys.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

I've got both, and even a Standard and Metric dial-caliper that has two different colored indicator-needles and indexing in the same dial-gauge face; cool for measuring mystery parts!

Geoff, if you stop by with your guitar, I'll either turn 'em for you or pay for someone else to if I can't, buy a couple rounds of whatever your having that can be had, and give you my set of Standard/English Allen wrenches, after we jam a little.

Maybe sounds pretty empty of a promise, given the geography involved, but, if you do show up, I'll hold to all of that!

I'm jumping on my bicycle Right Now!!!

Thanks, Caev. Maybe one day...

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing36.gif

Geoff

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

I'm jumping on my bicycle Right Now!!!

Geoff

Man, that would deserve three rounds, and a new set of strings and a set-up! :D

When I was having a problem with Allen keys I found a set at WalMart for really cheap. On one ring they had a set of metric and a set of standard keys. I found the ones that fit my guitars and threw the rest away. Each key was attached to a spring that held it to the ring.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

...but the buzz about his friend is that he's a real cut-up. When I saw him under the crescent moon, i just plane drilled him about his whereabouts. His voice was raspy and he ate his staple food: buiscuts...
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived